What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any " one hit weed " back in the 1970's ?

White Beard

Obligatory on-topic: the legendary here was “two-toke” weed, and everybody wanted some.... Hash was even scarcer, and got snapped up quick.

My final conclusion was that all the ‘two toke’ I got was more like 3-5 toke...then again, I’ve never had an ‘artsy’ relationship with cannabis: it either gets you where you want to go or not. I like it when it smells dank or fruity or dusty - or not - but how it smells will never be my reward for growing.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
This was a fun thread to read, many thoughtful posts by knowledgeable folks.
I think the whole 'one hit' thing is forgetting that we had very potent hashish in the 70's too. As has already been pointed out, hash varied a lot depending on the genetics that went into it. Not all of it killed conversation and made you contemplate your navel. I recall the Red Lebanese as being quite social and fun to smoke with friends.

i remember the hash from the late 60's/early 70's... WOW... but a question... i make hash now, sometimes i roll bud over screens and press the kif, sometimes with bubble bags... and 'if' the weed is stronger today then yesteryear , should not the hash be stronger...
stronger going in, should mean stronger coming out... and i find that is not the case..

White Beard

Breeding for taste and aroma and for THC, and the buzz doesn’t measure up...that doesn’t sound like getting it right.

F2F

Being born in the 70's I was too young to experience most of what everyone is talking about.

Relevant to the timelines...my buddy and I got smoked out by his Uncle back in the late 80's. He pulled out a brief case that had a file organizer system in it filled to the brim with plastic sleeves containing bud, seeds, High Times clippings, and short descriptions of each strain. I remember the names vaguely and there were many Central/South American strains along with Representations of Thai and Vietnamese. Additionally - spore prints! Incredible. Over 2-3 hours he went through and explained the whole collection to us. That moment was pivotal for me as it sparked something inside that hasn't gone out in a long time. 😉

His mind went to mush and he to a nursing home - due to a severe drinking problem (good for him). If I ever see my buddie's aunt you can guess the first question on my mind. :biggrin:

Cheers
F2F

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and 'if' the weed is stronger today then yesteryear , should not the hash be stronger...

zachrockbadenof (awesome nick BTW!) I think some of the cannabis the 70's hash was made from was at least, if not more, 'potent' cannabis than we smoke today. Hash from Afghanistan was common, but there was no Ghani flower available until the mid to late 70's. When it started coming in (NYC for me) it was immediately VERY high priced and considerably higher potency than the sativas we were getting. The early 'hash weed' was basically impossible to smoke because it was so expanding you'd cough your brains out. It was absolutely 'one hit' cannabis if you had iron lungs. It was obvious why they made hash out of it instead of smoking the flower. Now 40 years later, we have lovely hybrids that are almost as potent, but much easier and more enjoyable to smoke.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
zachrockbadenof (awesome nick BTW!) I think some of the cannabis the 70's hash was made from was at least, if not more, 'potent' cannabis than we smoke today. Hash from Afghanistan was common, .

:tiphat::thank you:...i agree that the late 60's/early 70's hash was def more potent... used to get it from a friend at s.i.c.c.
staten island comm. college... friday nite at the coffee house/open mic nite... then down to the sunnyside club, then to south ave to drag race... WOW...i don't feel that old....

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
So Right Mr Greengenes, I was growin some of that Afghani, it was extremely SKUNKY too. When I moved to Humboldt in 1979 a neighbor gave me my first indica seeds, Afghani's that only got 4-5' tall and tasted like straight Black Afghani Hash with the gold stamp. You did not have to touch a bud, just open the jar and my old lady would yell out I smell a skunk from the upstairs.
Also got some Mazari seeds that were epically skunky, so skunky they made me puke when they were fresh, it was hell to roll up because it was sooo sticky, but it was soo acrid and foul skunky tasting that it made people nauseous. So I packed it into a tobacco tin, the whole plants worth of buds and stashed it for 8 months while I was smoking all my other harvest, found it eight months later when I started getting low. It had turned into a rough grainy rock, you had to scrape some dry dust off with a knife to roll just a pinner and it would nail you to the chair while your mind went on a trip ride through your mind with a stupid look on your face. Mazari, it was a round bush with golf ball buds that were the stickiest bud I ever grew. AhhhhMen

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
I gotta add, Funny story.
Here's how I got the Mazari seed in 1979.
A neighbor said he was gonna have some company from the MidWest and come on over and we'll hang out and burn and bbq. So we go there and this nice couple Dallas and Susan we met and smoked and they pull out a bag of weed they bought and asked if I could roll one. So I said sure and man that was some good weed, we were real high and in the bud I rolled was this BIG cream colored seed and I kept it as always and asked where they scored the weed, and they said Tahoe on the way over, I think from friends. So I asked do you know what kind it is? And they said, the guy we bought it from said it was Missouri Indica, I was like wow, they grow some fukin good weed in Missouri and for the next 30 or so years I called it Missouri indica and it was just like 10 years ago I realized it was really Mazari Indica we were just too stoned from it to realize it at the time. HaHa stoner memories.
I bet they grow some pretty good weed in Missouri anyway.

Im'One

I was on the periphery of the Missouri grower scene, it was quite wild and wooly back in the day. Lots of action back in the Mark Twain national forest in the 70s and 80s.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and for the next 30 or so years I called it Missouri indica

Thats too funny RandyCalifornia! I'm sure I've done that as well. Takes self discipline to keep a story straight for 3 decades, no small accomplishment. Then find out it was a different story, it's like grrr. The mishearing part reminds me of those old SNL's with Gilda Radner. She'd be like, "we need to preserve natural racehorses bla bla" "No Gilda, that's natural resources" ".......Oh.....nevermind!"

H

hard rain

To me the thread asks the wrong question.

Are there any "one hit wonders" around now?

There were in the 70's and 80's, although rare. Thai stick was up there and I also had some homegrown that was incredible that a friend grew. This weed would cut through everything and just transport you to a special place. I cannot find anything that remotely does that now. Had some pot in Laos that was close in the last few years.

romanoweed

Hard Rain. just short question: Did your Friend manage to grow Thaistick then? If yes, wich Latitude? Outdoor i suggest. Im interested if someone managed to grow Tripweed outdoors..

H

hard rain

Hard Rain. just short question: Did your Friend manage to grow Thaistick then? If yes, wich Latitude? Outdoor i suggest. Im interested if someone managed to grow Tripweed outdoors..
He grew an unknown bagseed. It was 1981-2-3, grown in mountains in Australia that got cold nights at harvest, was anywhere from bright red to purple, but always cured a dark purple. It was fantastic. Looked about 80% sativa. Similar to Thai in intensity.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Did your Friend manage to grow Thaistick then? If yes, wich Latitude? Outdoor i suggest..

My best friend (RIP buddy) found a rare, teeny tiny little dark seed in some Thai stick back in 1976 and grew it near the Catskills of southern NY state at around the 41 north latitude..

It was over 12 feet tall with short branches and got lightly snowed on 2 times before he harvested it in late Nov....

It was definitely 2 toke weed that would put your head in outer space..

EastFortRock

When I first asked this question, I didn’t remember that we never took just one hit back in the 70’s . We would automatically have about 5 or more. St. Phatty said he never new he had one hit stuff until after 4 hits he passed out. Thinking back , I probably smoked 1 hit stuff that other people had , but never took only one hit , just got super high.

Latest posts

Latest posts