What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best value 1000-2000 gpd Reverse Osmosis system?

plantingplants

Wondering what the best value is for a 1000-2000 gpd RO system? I found the Hydrologic Evolution 1000 gpd for $600 but not sure how much it ends up being with replacing filters? Also seems to be a huge price jump between 1000 and 2000 gpd.

If I'm running this thing 24/7 with 275 ppm tap water, how often do I need to replace membranes? I have never used RO mind you so any insight is appreciated.

I would love to hear anyone's experiences filtering this amount of water.

Or if anyone could recommend a good reasonably priced ro company that i could talk to. Just not sure who i can trust.

FireIn.TheSky

When you get into that volume you are almost wasting more water than its worth.

Keep in mind most r/o systems do a 4 to 1 ratio. So they waste 4 gallons for every 1 gallon.

So in this case you will be wasting 4000 gallons to produce 1000 gallons, or 8000 gallons to produce 2000.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Keep in mind most r/o systems do a 4 to 1 ratio. So they waste 4 gallons for every 1 gallon.

So in this case you will be wasting 4000 gallons to produce 1000 gallons, or 8000 gallons to produce 2000.

do you av proof of that?

AFAIK, the bigger the system, the more powerful the pump, the lower the percentage of reject water/g

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wondering what the best value is for a 1000-2000 gpd RO system? I found the Hydrologic Evolution 1000 gpd for $600 but not sure how much it ends up being with replacing filters? Also seems to be a huge price jump between 1000 and 2000 gpd.

If I'm running this thing 24/7 with 275 ppm tap water, how often do I need to replace membranes? I have never used RO mind you so any insight is appreciated.

I would love to hear anyone's experiences filtering this amount of water.

Or if anyone could recommend a good reasonably priced ro company that i could talk to. Just not sure who i can trust.

See if there's a Aquathin company (or any hgh vol water company)near by and ask them

FYI: https://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-921-commercial-ro-systems-1000-gpd-to-2200-gpd.aspx

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran

do you av proof of that?

I sold large RO systems decades ago. You are using numbers for low pressure household units. My $300 system unit has a booster pump

AFAIK, the bigger the system, the more powerful the pump, the lower the percentage of reject water/g

plantingplants

Thanks for the tips. I also heard fromsomeone who sold RO that you can filter the same volume with small systems if you just prefilter it well and use a booster pump. Any truth to that?

Hydrologic is a reputable company out of santa cruz with great products and customer service. Check out the one rb26 uses. The damn thing cleans itself!

I have a stealth ro200. I can get maybe 100 gallons out of it a day. Never tried pre-filter/ boosting

the other thing is---I dont know your water/ soil situation as well as you. Is there any way you can make a concentrated solution of citric acid and just use a doser on your line instead of going ro?

plantingplants

I will have to price that out. I cant remember why but slownickel was cautioning me about dropping pH more than a point at a time and advocated using gyp to counteract the bicarbonates. I was using battery acid for a minute.

redlaser

Veteran
Not sure about the cost but hydrologic advertises a unit with a 4/1 water to waste ratio. 4 good gallons to 1 bad one.

Like PetFlora said, the booster pump will make a lot of difference. I have a booster pump and a uv treatment along with my 50 gallon a day ro unit, cost about 200. total.

I also put two string filters before the four stage Ro filter, along with an inline tds meter checking the water before treatment and after. Two string filters + tds meter was 70$

FireIn.TheSky

do you av proof of that?

Hydrologic is a 2 to 1 ratio. That means 2000 gallons waste to make 1000 gallons.

Hopefully you don't have to pay for water at that waste volume.

FireIn.TheSky

You'd still be hammering your well pump trying to consume 3000 gpd.

Not to mention regular ro's are barely suited for well systems, the pressure drops out as the pressure tank needs to refill.

Most well pumps are set for like 30psi.

A new well pump can cost thousands to install, just something to consider when going for that volume.

plantingplants

Well. Idk the psi but it is fierce. Idk how it would work getting it up the hill though. Straight from the house spigot it runs over 300 ft and > 50ft high into a pool where it's only 4.5gpm. Guess I would need to pump it after being filtered.

I have a guage on mine in the pump house. You can watch it rise/fall.

I can get water up my hill w out a pump but I use one to speed it up.
It wont be too hard with something like a honda gas powered one.

For reference, I was doing 1000g every 2 days at the peak but every 7 in May. No issues. Ask Shcrews how much he was doing on his when his started.to.slow down mid season and have to be replaced. (It was decades old as fuck)

Use mulch so youre not watering everyday and fill your pool gradually

plantingplants

Here's a pm from rb26 I thought was useful:

They built me a 4000GPD unit with a softener and carbon pre-treatment. Its an amazing unit and I highly recommend them. It hasn't need any maintenance in a year besides refilling the brine tank with salt. The pre-treatment filters clean themselves on an automated schedule. Cost effective? I don't know, I think they are all automated. It wasn't an add-on that I paid for.

The 2000GPD is the same unit just with a single membrane. The rack is expandable to six membranes at 2000GPD each. I think the 2000GPD was somewhere around $6,000 but I'm not sure. I paid around $9,000 - $10,000 for my setup.

There is no comparison to the Evolution 1000, its the difference between a 4-light grow in a basement and 100 light warehouse. I've had 4 of the evolutions and speaking from experience they do not run 1000GPD (.7GPM) they do more like .4 - .5GPM. It used to take me six hours to fill a 200G reservoir. My unit now does 4GPM and thats only with 40PSI incoming pressure and can run 24/7 if you so choose, its a complete workhorse. It fills those same 200G reservoirs in 45 minutes, as opposed to 6 hours from the EVO.

Really just depends how much water you need and what your storage capacity is.

Also to be clear, there is nothing wrong with the Evolution. Its a great unit that never failed me but theres only so much it can scale.

He suggested checking out the Growonix units you mentioned, Freedom. Or maybe Hydrologic makes something in between the hyperlogic and the evolution.

Latest posts

Latest posts