What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Budhownd's Amazon Grow

G

Mornin' Bud!

If your plants are already putting out new growth you did an excellent job repotting them and the roots are taking to the new soil.

I stuck a finger down in all the pots and the soil feels dry already in two of them, but I'm gonna give it another day or so cuz the pots aren't quite light enuff when I lift them. Geez, they are gulping down the water.

Perfect! Don't go by the loks or the feel of the soil. With pots that much deeper it may look like the Sahara desert on top and as far as your finger can reach, but if the pot isn't light the soil is still moist. Cannabis roots tend to grow downwards. Moist soil doesn't allow as much oxygen to reach the roots. Cannabis loves oxygen, so that's why we don't want the soil to be perpetually moist. It'll provoke root rot and stress.

The size of your plants doesn't have anything to do with smell potential...you're learning that pretty quick LOL :D.

I never thot about getting rid of some of the root mass during repotting. The roots were all over the place when I repotted this last time. One plant even had roots growing thru the holes in the bottom of the pot. I just figured .. it's a plant. It isn't gonna grow THAT fast. Boy, was I wrong.

Cannabis will develop an enormous root system given the room! And the health of your plants depends on the health of the roots...you're gonna see some signatures around here which say "Its all in the roots!"...they're right :wink:. Just for the record, healthy cannabis roots are snow-white and plump. I'm sure your roots were healthy when you repotted (I know...there were alot of them! :wink:) so I hope you took a nice look at them. That's what you should see when you repot your plants. If they're brownish and slimy looking, that's root rot..God forbid! :wink:
What Ms. G was referring to is not getting rid of the root mass :eek: You don't want to do that at all Bud! What she was referring to is a method some growers use when the plants get a bit too rootbound before their final repotting, to loosen up the root ball and help the plant root new soil. You basically remove the plant from the old pot, and before repotting kinda dig your fingers into the root mass and very gently loosen it with your fingers before placing the plant in the new soil. Want my advice? Don't try it yet. :D You still aren't familiar enough with your plants' root system, how it works and how much abuse your plants can take. Loosening the root ball before repotting is potentially very stressful for the plants, if not done correctly :wink:

You weren't screwing up badly Bud, it was a simple matter of learning when to repot. On the contrary, IMO you did an excellent job of trying to compensate your plants' deficiencies. When a plant has to receive nutes and micronutes constantly from you, because it has used up everything in the soil, its not easy at all for anybody to keep them healthy and growing well until they can be repotted, even for experienced gorwers. I deal with this alot because of the small space I have to grow in. Like you, I have to use my pots to the limit before repotting, and every time my plants fill up their pots I usually have a week to 10 days that I have to do some very pro-active prevention to keep them from suffering deficiencies until I can upgrade the pot. You'll learn to recognize these deficiencies (the most common being nitrogen, magnesium and iron, usually the first deficiencies to appear in cannabis) and to treat them, as well as avoid that they appear through preventive use of micronutes and additives. Its pretty easy, so don't worry...we'll get to that in time. Your ladies probably won't be presenting any more notable deficiencies until around maybe a month in flower.

As far as leaving the closet door closed and being absent for a day...I don't know how hot it gets in there with the door closed, but I'm bargaining on VERY hot. Can you give us a temp reading? Close the closet doors some time after the lights have been on and take the reading at the level of your plants at least a half hour after you close the doors - maybe set the thermometer on the edge of the pot and leave it there for a half hour or so.

If its over 85° with the doors closed I'd leave the door cracked! Also, my own very personal tip for you, and you can take it or leave it...is the next time to go with a 18/6 light cycle in veg. Especially if you have temperature issues and no adequate ventilation. All that heat 24/7 does them no good at all. At least in the 6 hours lights off they'll have time to recuperate some.

If you remember something you forgot to ask, no worries...we're here! :smile:

If we don't hear back from ya before Saturday, have a great time this weekend and say hi to your plants for me :D

:wave:

Last edited:
G

I'm gonna try to get pics of them as soon as I can. All decked out in their new pots and erything. Still no ferts or nutes given to them. I stuck a finger down in all the pots and the soil feels dry already in two of them, but I'm gonna give it another day or so cuz the pots aren't quite light enuff when I lift them. Geez, they are gulping down the water.
I would like to add in my experience that the hotter it is in the area the more water you will end up having to use. This happened a lot with us before an a/c was solely dedicated to that space... It was not as bad in the winter as in the summer.. I guess because of the ground temp being much higher all the time... In the beginning I had a real hard time judging when to water, or when not to water... and my hubby got me one of these..

Its a moisture tester and it helped me out so much until I got the feel for watering plants.. as you can see it's been used quite a bit :D and I thought it may be something that you would be interested in.. They are around 10 bucks at pretty much any store with a gardening section.

As far as leaving the closet door closed and being absent for a day...I don't know how hot it gets in there with the door closed, but I'm bargaining on VERY hot
YES it can and it will!! We have battled heat stress before the a/c switch so you really need to know what how hot it gets like Indigo said before you leave it closed up. They also have thermometers that have the actual tip on a long wire and a digital read out control that you can put on the outside and this allows you to see the actual temps without opening the door.
If its over 85° with the doors closed I'd leave the door cracked! Also, my own very personal tip for you, and you can take it or leave it...is the next time to go with a 18/6 light cycle in veg. Especially if you have temperature issues and no adequate ventilation. All that heat 24/7 does them no good at all. At least in the 6 hours lights off they'll have time to recuperate some.
^^this is very good advice^^

Take care!
Ms.G

G

Bless your soul Ms. G...the only pic I have in my gallery is this:
5835cow.jpg

:biglaugh: can get kinda hard to convey a point with a pic if all you have to show is a marijuana-munching moo cow LOL.

Budhownd...when you get these plants finished, if you believe this is a hobby which you'd like to keep around, we're going to discuss some possible solutions to get around your limitations 'cause you're renting :wink:

Ms. G raises some very important points that I've let go...namely the importance of proper ventilation and heat control. There's more than one solution, and where there's a will there's a way. I'm a very willful woman and tend to find a way to make things happen even when they apparently can't. I had the very same ventilation issues as you, was growing in a closet cab, with the only ventilation being a Vortex bathroom fan mounted backwards on top as exhaust, and another mounted on the side as forced ventilation. Then I got sick of sweating it and found a few solutions. Dropped my lights on temps by 10°+!! You just say the word when you're ready and we'll hash it out (pun intended) together with Ms. G, who's input I value greatly. Ms. G has a bit more room for their grows, but heat is heat, whether you're growin' in a closet or in a warehouse...if ya have to deal with it...you come up with solutions, and the more input the better IMO! :D

Last edited:

budhownd

HEYYYYYYYYYY!!

HEYYYYYYYYYY!!

Hi Erybody!!

Well, tha mini vacation is over and I'm back to the grind of growin an learnin an growin some more.

I tired to get some pics of the lil amazons earlier today with tha housemate's digicam but they still look dumb. GRRRRR....!!! Still caint put tha pics in tha post. the lil vb code thing says im not allowed to post pics in posts. :( BOOOOOOO!!!
So, tha few pics I did get are in my gallery.

Indigo, I would love to discuss ventilation and heat control with you and Ms. G. I thank the two of ya'll fer conferring with me on this matter. I have an idea of how to set something up, but I need to research it a lil more.

Just a note, the far left wall of the closet is adjacent to the outside of the house. Nothing separating it from tha outside but a wall of bricks and mortar. Not even a sheet of drywall there. I'm almost certain the outside temps affect the inside temps of the closet, cuz round hea the summer weather is VERY humid and hot. And the hotter it was outside the hotter it was in the closet( tween 85-92 degrees). By comparison, when it wasn't as hot/humid. The temps were lower ( anywhere from 70-85 degrees). I'm wonderin how that's gonna affect things in the winter, specially with the light off for 12 hours.

Oh and by tha way, I don't think I'll ever stop growing, now, it's gone way past bein just a hobby. It keeps me on point mentally when my plants talk to me and I have to figger out what it is they are sayin THEN have to come up with a solution to fix/eliminate the problem. Plus, iz hella fun.

I have that same moisture meter that Ms. G has in tha pic!!! :) tee hee. Sorry, I git excited over lil stuff. I left the door cracked during the overnite trip. When I got back home, they'd blown up. Lots more new growth. They are almost competing for space.

There are branches growing from the node junctions and more new growth on top of that. So, I guess they were THIRSTY. Teusday is the 10th day after repotting and flushing them and I'm sure they are ready for their first taste of some food after adjusting to their new homes.

One plant looks a lil tired, leaves kinda hangin down and it has a real dark green color to the fan leaves, not alotta growth on that one, eiva. I'm kinda stumped as to what to do with it. Hopefully, itz just hungry. Damn, of all of them I wish I could get a good pic of that one, just so ya could see what I'm talkin about. :/

I THINK I GOT TWO GIRLS!!! I'm not sure, but I think I saw pre flowers on two of them. They are in the right place on the plants as far as I can tell from all tha pics I've been looking at for the past two days. Iz a lil growth that isn't part of tha two lil fangs that grow on either side of the stems.... ok, ok, .... stipules( i think that's what they are called). It sits by itself up above those things it looks like a pistil that hasn't opened up to show tha lil white hair yet. I've found em on two plants so far. I thnk both plants have two a piece at different nodes. I'm keepin my fingaz crossed. :) I don't mind havin a bunch of sausages in tha growroom this first time out, but it would be great to have at least one female, not only for the obvious reasons, but also it'll give me a chance to see a female plant grow and give me an idea of what can go rite an wrong with her. Give me practice with nutes and ferts during flower and so on.

I know there's tons more to learn, but I wanna get a lil experience with both sides of tha coin( M&F plants) this first time out. So, that the next time I grow it'll be with a lil knowledge about both sexes. Not just how to grow and make hash outta males, but also, to be able to grow and get a female plant thru harvest too.

Damn, I'm ramblin. That must mean it's smoke time.

Ohhhh.... I fergot.

Um, I read that, plants are apt to double in height by the time they are ready to harvest. Ohhhhh man. The two lil ones that I think are female are both a minimum of a 16 inches. Another is about 14 inches. The droopy one and it's neighbor are about 10in. and tha baby is about 7 or 8 inches.
That means that the two tallest will finish at about three an a half feet if they are indeed girls ?????!!!
Yea, we gonna hafta discuss, venting, heat control, and making some sort of pulley to raise my light, cuz they only have about two feet max to go til they hit tha bottom of tha lite. :yoinks:

Hmmm... if I have boys... and I'm sure I do, Ya think they'll be ok if I put em outside?? I don't have anywhere to put them once I find them and yank em outta tha girls space, since I just have the one lite. I mean even if they are boys, I raised them with as much care as any girls I may find and I'd hate to just kill em.
So, I figgered I'd just put em outside till it starts to get nippy. Keep givin em nutes and ferts an basically let em do their own thing til they tell me iz too cool for them outside. Then iz chop chop for em.
I'm willing to try my hand at makin a lil hash as a winter project, since all tha plants are stinky binky, but I'd want them to get bigger first.

Geez, no matter how much I write I still think I'm ferggitin somfin. If I am, it'll have to wait til 2morry or tha next time I post. Which I'm sure will be in a few days to update ya'll on my preflower findings.

Thanks fer all tha help, gang, an fer lending an ear ... or eye as it were, to tha ramblin Hownd.

K+ to you all.

peace

Bud tha Hownd

budhownd

budhownd said:
That means that the two tallest will finish at about three an a half feet if they are indeed girls ?????!!!

I mean 3 feet. Tol ya math wasn't my bag mannnnnnnnnnn. LMAO.

G

Hey bud...nice to see you back! :smile:

Let's git to it, waddya say? :D

For the pics, shoot Green Lantern a pm. He's our techie admin here and he'll get it fixed for ya :wink:

First the plants...I took a look at your pics and the ladies are really picking up...very nice, they look like theyr'e filling up real well, and seem to be quite healthy! They might even get back on track with the size...we'll have to wait and see. The nodes are nice and tight and I'm really happy with how you solved your problems! For the droopy one...that one has received too much nitrogen...signs of nitrogen overdose are an extremely dark green color to the leaves, that "ramshorn" appearance of the leaf blades kind of hooking downwards, and leaves that droop. Was the plant like that before repotting?

- If so, the fan leaves will probably not lose that dark green color, but the new growth should be normal, and she should recover.

- If not, she may have hit a "hot spot" in your soil. Hot spots happen when you don't mix your soil components well. If you didn't mix that blood and bone meal in the soil real well, there may be an excess in that pot.

In both cases, I'd give that particular plant a good flushing, 3 times the volume of the pot, pH corrected water. No nutes for her until she has normal growth and the leaves perk back up again! You can feed your other plants when the 10 days are up, but go easy, remember you have that blood and bone meal in there...start with 1/3 strength and see how they react.

Now on to the presumed preflowers... they may very well be exactly that given the age of your plants! Right on time :wink: I like "fangs" better than stipules :D. When they first appear preflowers are tiny little nubs, gonna take a few days to a week to be able to start guessing, but keep in mind that its real hard to correctly guess sex from preflowers, unless you see the pistils, or unless its a real virile male who puts out pronounced balls :D. Remember also that all plants produce preflowers, both the males and the females. If you go back and look at 1toke's pics, you'll see what I indicated as a suspected male preflower...when fully formed, it looks like a small round crab claw on the end of a short little stalk. In any case, keep an eye on those! In cannabis its usually the males which sex first, but this is not an absolute, just a rule of thumb :wink:

As far as keeping any eventual male around 'cause you don't have the heart to kill it...sorry hon, you'e gonna have to get over that until you decide to try your hand out at making seeds. If you put the males outside, and they just happen to drop pollen, you're running the risk of having that pollen enter the house and pollinate your females. Not to mention ruining any eventual outdoor growers crop in the area. It only takes a grain of pollen to make a seed, just one male flower dropping pollen can pollinate many many many plants. Pollen will be carried in the wind, will stick to your clothes, will cause a mess if you aren't very careful. We can get into keeping males and storing pollen further on :wink: I know, it sucks...sometimes the males are the most gorgeous plants of all...but you must be heartless if you want to smoke anything decent :wink:

How much headroom does your grow have? How high is the ceiling? I have just a tad over 6ft in mine and grew some monster sativas in there (but not without alot of bending and pinching at the end to avoid them hitting the lights). If you have 6ft or more, you'll have room to grow them, don't worry :smile:

To start a good advice session on venting, heat issues, etc. we need some specs here....

1.Dimensions of your grow - Height, width, depth
2. You're using a 400W, correct?
3. Any existing ventilation aside from the fan?
4. You did great with the pics, I see that your cab's back wall is the brick wall. Can you tell me a bit about this cab? Did you build it yourself, or is it like a service closet that already existed in the house? I'm basically trying to find out if you can alter it in any way, by drilling holes, etc. 'cause you said you're in rental :wink:

You can isolate that wall and eliminate some of the heat and humidity by using a bit of fantasy, try tacking a sheet of that clear bubble plastic against it, which you can hang a white sheet or some mylar in front of for reflection...just an idea, you may come up with something better :wink:

For hashmaking, you'll be using the trimmings when you manicure your plants. I've never used a male plant to make my hash..but then again I use mostly bud to make my hash :D. Keep in mind that 100 grams of trimmings will get you maybe 2-3 grams of hash...but it will be excellent hash, if you use the popcorn buds and the "sugar" leaves which grow out of the buds :D

Think that's about it for now! If I missed something, let me know and I'll get to it!

budhownd

Indigo said:
Hey bud...nice to see you back! :smile:

Let's git to it, waddya say? :D

For the pics, shoot Green Lantern a pm. He's our techie admin here and he'll get it fixed for ya :wink:

Great! Thanks for the headz up. :) HAY!! I just looked down tha bottom of tha page and the pics are there now!! Well, damn. :jump:

First the plants...I took a look at your pics and the ladies are really picking up...very nice, they look like theyr'e filling up real well, and seem to be quite healthy! They might even get back on track with the size...we'll have to wait and see. The nodes are nice and tight and I'm really happy with how you solved your problems! For the droopy one...that one has received too much nitrogen...signs of nitrogen overdose are an extremely dark green color to the leaves, that "ramshorn" appearance of the leaf blades kind of hooking downwards, and leaves that droop. Was the plant like that before repotting?

Thanks fer tha compliment. :)

Ok tha sick lil one. "Was it like that before repotting?"

Um, I'm thinking yes because this is tha plant with the worst purpling on it's stems from being in the too small pots. That still hasn't cleared up. Despite not havin any food for 10 days an bein in a new pot. The stems of tha big green fan leaves are purple/dark red, but the stems of the new growth are green, except for one single leaf stem attatched to one of the new green stems that are growing up from the lowest stems.

Well, I did water her and gave her a real real weak feeding.... I read this post too late!! I did it yestidy. :( They all perked up. Even tha sick one a lil. In fact she's still perked up. The new growth coming up from the lower branches is a brighter, more normal looking green, but tha fan leaves are still real dark green. Mkay, no ferts for her. :puppydoge

- If so, the fan leaves will probably not lose that dark green color, but the new growth should be normal, and she should recover.

- If not, she may have hit a "hot spot" in your soil. Hot spots happen when you don't mix your soil components well. If you didn't mix that blood and bone meal in the soil real well, there may be an excess in that pot.

In both cases, I'd give that particular plant a good flushing, 3 times the volume of the pot, pH corrected water. No nutes for her until she has normal growth and the leaves perk back up again! You can feed your other plants when the 10 days are up, but go easy, remember you have that blood and bone meal in there...start with 1/3 strength and see how they react.

I'll flush her ass good!!

Now on to the presumed preflowers... they may very well be exactly that given the age of your plants! Right on time :wink: I like "fangs" better than stipules :D. When they first appear preflowers are tiny little nubs, gonna take a few days to a week to be able to start guessing, but keep in mind that its real hard to correctly guess sex from preflowers, unless you see the pistils, or unless its a real virile male who puts out pronounced balls :D. Remember also that all plants produce preflowers, both the males and the females. If you go back and look at 1toke's pics, you'll see what I indicated as a suspected male preflower...when fully formed, it looks like a small round crab claw on the end of a short little stalk. In any case, keep an eye on those! In cannabis its usually the males which sex first, but this is not an absolute, just a rule of thumb :wink:

I looked again at 1toke's pic and have decided it's too early to tell. There's something there, I just caint tell zactly what it is. If, I got it backwards, then it's even better cuz, then I'd have two males an four females. I like them numbers! :headbange

As far as keeping any eventual male around 'cause you don't have the heart to kill it...sorry hon, you'e gonna have to get over that until you decide to try your hand out at making seeds. If you put the males outside, and they just happen to drop pollen, you're running the risk of having that pollen enter the house and pollinate your females. Not to mention ruining any eventual outdoor growers crop in the area. It only takes a grain of pollen to make a seed, just one male flower dropping pollen can pollinate many many many plants. Pollen will be carried in the wind, will stick to your clothes, will cause a mess if you aren't very careful. We can get into keeping males and storing pollen further on :wink: I know, it sucks...sometimes the males are the most gorgeous plants of all...but you must be heartless if you want to smoke anything decent :wink:

I heard that, I can be heartless. :asskick:

I didn't even think about havin a growin neighbor. That would be phucked up to unknowingly pollinate somebody's outdoor grow. I'll have to remember to be considerate of that

How much headroom does your grow have? How high is the ceiling? I have just a tad over 6ft in mine and grew some monster sativas in there (but not without alot of bending and pinching at the end to avoid them hitting the lights). If you have 6ft or more, you'll have room to grow them, don't worry :smile:

Cool. I have 7 ft. an about 3 inches.
To start a good advice session on venting, heat issues, etc. we need some specs here....

1.Dimensions of your grow - Height, width, depth - 3x4x....uh, somfin. It's 12 square feet.

2. You're using a 400W, correct? Yep

3. Any existing ventilation aside from the fan? Got to fans. One oscillating an another hangin near tha hood of tha lite. Um ... so nope, nothing inside tha closet that can aid in venting.

4. You did great with the pics, I see that your cab's back wall is the brick wall. The wall to the far left is brick as well. That's the one that's opposite of the outside would. The wall closest to the oscillating fan.

Can you tell me a bit about this cab? Did you build it yourself, or is it like a service closet that already existed in the house? Yea, it's just a closet by the back door. I didn't build it or modify it, except for removing the shelves that were in there.

I'm basically trying to find out if you can alter it in any way, by drilling holes, etc. 'cause you said you're in rental :wink:

Well, I'm kinda handy with drills and stuff, but not real, real handy. My housemate is better than I am and I'd rather not involve her in the contruction of tha lil amazon's playroom. Yea, I'm renting and, if at all possible, I'd rather not alter the closet.
You know those big ass fans that damn near blow ya over when you walk into a gorcery store? I assume they are used to circulate the ac around tha front of tha store. Have ya ever seen or heard of one that will fit in a doorway, up along the inside edge of the doorway? I could use one of those cus tha ceiling of tha closet is just a sheet of drywall and has about an inch, .. inch and a half gap along the entire upper length of the doorway. It would be great if I could have an exhaust fan there but it would have to clip onto the doorjamb... door frame(?) in some kinda way. Only prollem with that is that it would be blowing odors an such right under tha floorboards of tha daughter galz room.

You can isolate that wall and eliminate some of the heat and humidity by using a bit of fantasy, try tacking a sheet of that clear bubble plastic against it, which you can hang a white sheet or some mylar in front of for reflection...just an idea, you may come up with something better :wink:

For hashmaking, you'll be using the trimmings when you manicure your plants. I've never used a male plant to make my hash..but then again I use mostly bud to make my hash :D. Keep in mind that 100 grams of trimmings will get you maybe 2-3 grams of hash...but it will be excellent hash, if you use the popcorn buds and the "sugar" leaves which grow out of the buds :D

OHHHHHHH that's how ya do it.Well, you can tell I need to read up on hashmaking. LoL.

Think that's about it for now! If I missed something, let me know and I'll get to it!

Thanks a million, Indigo. If this grow turns out to be any good, yer most welcome to sample it, since yer pretty much helpin to grow it.

Have a great nite. :wave:

peace

Bud

G

Read you're post bud...I'm gonna have to answer it probably tomorrow, I woke up this morning with a nasty migraine which hasn't gone away, so I'm keeping my computer time down today....its killin' me! :bat: Catch ya tomorrow, when I can give you some intelligent input :wink:

budhownd

Poor head of Indigo

Poor head of Indigo

Hope ya feel better real real soon Indigo. Take it easy an get some rest. :petting:

peace

Bud

Last edited:
G

I'm back! And in one piece....though I've never had such a nasty migraine before :eek:

So how're the plants doing? In particular the overferted one? How's she looking?

As far as the preflowers go...that's probably exactly what they are, and they'll take about a week to develop into something you can begin trying your hand in guessing at.
I heard that, I can be heartless.
There ya go! Believe me...I feel your pain. The first time I had to yank a male I almost cried...it was soooo gorgeous. Think of it as a necessary evil for the good of your stash :D.

OK, now that we got some specs we can get into some venting/cooling discussions. Before we do though, I think you need to be aware that you will have odor issues, and they may well become a problem for you. Odor is one of the factors which can also contribute to getting busted....so don't take it lightly. Your plants in flower might kick up big-time, or might not....but sooner or later you'll have to face this issue, and better sooner than later. The best thing I can do for you is link you to this thread about the Vaportek unit. Its the best odor control out there, does not require any drilling of holes or mounting...you just plug it in and it goes. Until you decide whether you want to invest in something like that or not, try getting yourself a few large tubs of those ONA gels (Odor Neutralizing Agent), I think they sell them at Walmart and places like that.

Good venting and cooling will require a small investment...well worth the money. You'll need a glass shielded hood or cool tube for your bulb and a 360cfm blower.

The best solution is to buy or build yourself a closet which you can drill and cut holes in. If you can't do that....we're gonna have to wing it. You need to be able to have a hole from which to vent the exahust. The problem with using the slit between the ceiling of the closet and the door to exhaust through is that though you can adapt the round output hole of the blower to fit to the slit (using flexible tubing), the blower isn't going to last very long because it won't be exhausting properly and will overheat the motor. It'll also make a helluva alot more noise. You also need to have a system of passive intake which would consist in two 4 inch holes cut in the side of the closet near the floor (about 12 inches up) . If you think you can drill one 4 to 5 inch hole in the ceiling of your closet, then we can do without the passive intake and use the closet doors (leaving them slightly ajar) while the lights are on.

Borrowed this handy dandy pic from a friend to illustrate more or less what a good closet setup can look like:

Note how the soundproof tubing hooks directly from the cool tube to the blower which is ceiling mounted, from the right side of the blower another piece of tubing takes the exhaust out of the grow through a hole cut in the ceiling. The wall mouned fan allows for more space on the floor of the grow.

I had to wing it myself for a while, and instead of the blower I had two Vortex bathroom fans, one mounted as an exhaust on top, and one mounted as a forced intake on the side. Wanna know the truth? Didn't hack it at all. Might have dropped the temps by one or two degrees max. Then I got myself a proper blower and a cool tube, and dropped my temps 10 - 12°!!!!

So i guess I gave you some things to think about. We can work it out together...go ahead and comment as you see it, according to what you can and can't do, and we'll try to get something figured out, though there are not a whole lot of alternatives if you can't drill holes in that closet, or get/build yourself something that you can alter to your heart's content :smile:

Have a nice one Bud! :wave:

Last edited:
G

Hey Ya'll :wave: been reading too and wanted to say that I also had hubby take a look at this thread and we are thinking about solutions for you as well budhownd. Pleased that you are feeling better Indi :smile: and I think you are very right about the cool tube, would be well worth it... I do have a Q though...
I'd rather not involve her in the contruction of tha lil amazon's playroom.
Does she KNOW at all about this? You're not gonna get the law called on ya or nothing if she finds it, right? :redface:
Hubby has seen where you can take a regular fan and modify it to a water-cooled-fan and that may be something that could get you through in a pinch, so let me get him to post that for you as a possibility! Like Indigo said, We'll figure something out :friends:
Take Care and Have a Great Weekend Folks! :bongsmi:

budhownd

Heyyyy Ya'll

Heyyyy Ya'll

Good Mawnin to you fine folks hea on IC Mag. :wave:

Ms. G, great to hear from you again. Thanks for stoppin by.

Indigo, I'm glad yer back to feelin fine. :woohoo:

Lemme give a brief report on tha lil amazons real quick.

Tha lil sick one is bouncing back slowly but surely. The new growth that she's puttin out on top are a more normal looking green. I'm thinkin it may have been a hot spot, like you said Indi, cuz she didn't get any more food than any of the other plants. I don't think she'd really bounced back from being so rootbound,before I gave her tha first feeding after the 10 day wait. I'm keepin my eye on her.

The pre flowers... hmmm. I was on OG and read a post by a dude where he mentioned a "ball on a stick". Well, I've got the ball on a stick on one plant. It's tha smallest one of the 6. It started out last weekend as a lil nub kinda thing and now looks like a lil golf ball sittin on a tee. I've found at least one "ball on a tee" on every set of branches from the fourth set of branches from the bottom all tha way up. Unfortunately, I think the funny looking plant with the widest fattest fan leaves ( tha one Indi said was prolly a heavier indica pheno) has the same lil nubs. I gather from the responses to tha guy's post, that these indicate a male plant.
It won't hurt for me to leave them in there for now will it? I'd rather wait til I see ball clusters or nanners or whatever grows in tha lil ball's place for myself before I kill it. 1.Just so I can see what a kinda mature male flower looks like and 2. Cuz I've read that newbies sometimes pull what they think is a male too fast then find out too late it may not have been male in tha first place. That would suck in tha case of tha funny leafed plant. I'm hopin iz not a boy, but tha lil ball is starting to take shape on top of a tiny stick.

NOW, with that said, let me mention that the two biggest, healthiest, robustest, plants have what I can only describe as... well, they look mostly like soft thorns. They used to be a kinda teardrop shaped. A lil flare at tha base and coming to a point at tha tip, but now they have grown out more and look like lil thorns. Like lil green soft thorns that point straight out from the base of tha node.
That's how I knew they aren't lil fangs cuz tha fangs grow up, these grow straight out and if I look real real close it looks as tho tha tips are about separate and curl down eventually. From tha pics I've been looking at for tha past two weeks, they kinda look like female preflowers. The shape is the same. The position of the lil growth on the plant is the same. The only thing missing are the lil white hairs that are supposed to grow out of the top of tha lil "thorn".
Tha lil sick one hasn't shown me anything yet and there's another smaller one, whoz actually growing pretty well, just kinda quietly doin it's thing in tha back corner. It hasn't shown anything, preflower wise, either.

So, I guess I gotta wait to see. The biggest was 22 inches last nite, the second biggest was 19. I'm sure they'll jump another half inch or so by the time I measure them again tonight.

I looked at tha Vaportek link and found it interesting. I like the idea of somethng I can just plug and go with. But, let me say this, and it kinda answers Ms. G's question too.
The odor from the plants can only be smelled if I have the door open, other wise I caint smell a thing. Walking around outside the closet door I can't smell anything, but I can see the light on inside the closet. That concerns me more at this point. Now, I'm not saying I don't need to worry about odor, cuz I don't know what these chicks will do in flower, but I honestly think I can cover it with something like a glade plug in or an airwick thing that sends a lil spray into the air every 15 minutes or so.

My housemate knows I toke. Infact, she told me that she and her gf, who used to live here with her, b 4 they broke up and I moved in, used to smoke on tha now and then AND they even tried their hand at growin. You can imagine tha look on my face. :jawdrop: She's tellin me this while I got six seedlings under lites a mere floor below us. LoL.
Instinct told me to keep my mouf shut bout MY grow, so I just nodded and listened. Hell, she went so far as to let me know that she enjoys tha aroma of MJ burnin. I tol her... so do I. LoL. Funny shit is, her ex and I are now tokin buddies. lmao.

Damn, I went off on a tangent.. an I aint even high yet. So, no Ms. G, I don't THINK I'll get into any major kinda trubble if she finds out about this grow. However, if I can avoid her finding out about it, I'd rather have it that way.

I don't mind making modifications to tha closet as long as I don't have to make holes. I can't anyway, I looked really good at tha walls and they are cinder block, brick, and mortar. I couldn't drill thru em if I wanted to. The drills in my arsenal wouldn't even make a dent in that stuff.

There is glass in the hood of my light and it also has a hole on the top of it (picture a short smoke stack) where it looks like I could attatch a bit of tubing like tha kind that runs in tha back of a dryer that exhausts to tha outside of tha house. I assume the manufacturer made it like this so that it can be cooled if the user attatched tha tubing an hooked it up to an exhaust fan. I can get tha tubing and attatch it but, I don't have anyplace for the exhaust to go outside tha room. Not without breaching the door and letting tha wyrld know about my grow. And like ya said, Indigo, noise is a concern.

There is an ac vent right outside tha door. I'm thinkin bout taking tha plate off and seeing whatz what up there. If I can run something toward or into that closet it would take care of tha heat prollem, I'm sure. I just caint figger this venting/exhaust thing out. Especially when I cain't make holes in tha walls to let the old air out. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Ms. G, all ideas, criticisms, advice, etc. are welcome here. If yer hubby has a thot or two or however many, tell him to post away til his heart is content. I dont care how far fetched it may seem. If it means me not having to make holes and give my grow away, I'm all ears to all suggestions.

I'm sure a separate grow cab is ideal and it would make things SO much easier, but I don't have the room for it here and it would raise even more questions. There isn't anyplace down here I could hide a cab I built myself. :( That's why I chose the closet. It's outta tha way and nobody would have any reason to go back to that part of tha house... unless they were snoopin around.
Which leads me to my housemate's new gf.. She's one of those types that actually bleeve's that MJ is a drug. An honest to goodness addictive, overdose causing, killer drug. Lawd. Cool person, but, way misinformed.
So, if there was any static wit my housemate bout my grow it would be caused by her. So, I'm tryin to keep it under everyone's radar, but HERS especially.

HAY!! Eairlier this week, I came home right and there are firemen outside (no cops, thanks tha Goddess). Seems as tho the electrical box caught on fire (it needed replacing before I even moved in, landlord didn't get around to it) and I was told that they had to come downstairs and feel tha walls around the circuit breaker box. Five more feet further down tha hall and they would have found a nice surprise behind tha closed closet door. *whew* Indigo, your advice on odor control is being taken seriously, I'm going today to get some odor neutralizing stuff.

Um, what's an air cooled hood? What's a landrace strain an whyz it different from other strains? Just a couple of ?'s that I had pop in my hed yestiddy. :)

Well, gang, I'm off to mooch some lunch from my parents (those of you with grown children who have moved out, but still eat at home, know tha drill).
I don't really think it's a bad thing, especially since 1. my dad still buys food & cooks like my brother and I still live there and we are still growing kids and 2. my mom does nuffin to stop him.
I guess to them we always will be. lmao.

To any and all who may have family, friends, significant others, or anyone close to them, living in the hell hole that is now the gulf coast, I pray for you and them. I didn't realize until Friday just how bad things were down there.
I'm griping about heat in my closet and folks down there don't even have a roof overhead or food or water or ..... anything.
Sure makes ya think bout shit, huh? I swear I aint been this choked up watching television since 9/11.

thanks for all tha help and advice

peace and K++++ to all of yall

Buddy

G

Evenin' Bud! :smile:

Tha lil sick one is bouncing back slowly but surely. The new growth that she's puttin out on top are a more normal looking green.
Great to hear that, just let her recover before trying to feed her again, and believe me, she won't suffer lack of nutes for now, she's needing to get rid of the excess she has stored :wink: I'm sure she'll be fine.
It won't hurt for me to leave them in there for now will it? I'd rather wait til I see ball clusters or nanners or whatever grows in tha lil ball's place for myself before I kill it.
You can leave those in your grow until you flip 12/12 and find out for sure whether they're male or female. Believe me, sometimes its hard as hell to tell males from females based just on the preflowers....especially the males. When you flip to 12/12 for flower, any males will start putting out multiple balls in clusters at the nodes after about a week, and they'll be really easy to pick out.
they look mostly like soft thorns. They used to be a kinda teardrop shaped. A lil flare at tha base and coming to a point at tha tip, but now they have grown out more and look like lil thorns. Like lil green soft thorns that point straight out from the base of tha node.
From the way you describe them, seems like ya got yourself a couple of ladies! :D. Don't be doin' the jig until they spit out the hairs (they take a little while and if you have a magnifying glass, take a look with that)...when the pistils form, they're hair thin and tiny, then in a couple of days they become visible with the naked eye. The sickly one is using her energy to get back into shape, and not wasting it in making preflowers...she'll show when she's ready :D. The smaller one might just be a slow starter, the longer she takes, more chances that its a female, so don't sweat it, she'll show too :D.

You can flip 12/12 at any time you like at this point, your plants will stretch like crazy the first 3 weeks or so, keep a close eye on the distance from the light, and raise it an inch or so every evening before lights out unless you can check them in the morning as soon as the light comes on. IMO you might want to wait a few more days for the overferted plant to recover some before flipping the lights :wink:

As far as odor goes...the Vaportek IMO is an excellent investment. I'm getting ready to buy one myself.
I honestly think I can cover it with something like a glade plug in or an airwick thing that sends a lil spray into the air every 15 minutes or so.
You are the best judge of that Bud. We can only point you in the right direction when you do feel you'll need to do something serious about odor control. My last grow my plants hardly smelled at all, except for at end of flower, and even then, it was manageable. The ONA gel is really good though, do give it a whirl! Natural Breeze is a brand name for you. They're better than the Glade thingies 'cause the Glade masks odors, while the ONA gels neutralize them.
Instinct told me to keep my mouf shut bout MY grow, so I just nodded and listened. Hell, she went so far as to let me know that she enjoys tha aroma of MJ burnin
Always follow your instinct when growing....listen to your gut. Nine times outta ten its right :wink:
There is glass in the hood of my light and it also has a hole on the top of it (picture a short smoke stack) where it looks like I could attatch a bit of tubing like tha kind that runs in tha back of a dryer that exhausts to tha outside of tha house. I assume the manufacturer made it like this so that it can be cooled if the user attatched tha tubing an hooked it up to an exhaust fan.
That's exactly what its for Bud! Same principle as the cool tube.
There is an ac vent right outside tha door. I'm thinkin bout taking tha plate off and seeing whatz what up there. If I can run something toward or into that closet it would take care of tha heat prollem, I'm sure. I just caint figger this venting/exhaust thing out. Especially when I cain't make holes in tha walls to let the old air out. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Since holes are not an option, I'm gonna pass the buck to H3ad here (Ms. G.'s hubby). I'm sure he'll be able to give you some ideas to help you out.
Um, what's an air cooled hood?
Its what you got girl! But it ain't aircooled until you hook it up to a blower :wink: That's what the hole is for...as I quoted you above, a tube attaches to that hole on one side, and the other side of the tube to the blower which sucks the hot air produced by the lamp and vents it outside the cab.
What's a landrace strain an whyz it different from other strains?
"Landrace" is a term used to classify a strain indigenous to a certain area or region which originated in that region and is unadulterated, meaning it hasn't been hybridized or worked by man. Its a pure strain usually with ancient origins. I think that explains both questions. You go on and ask...its the best way to learn, and we're here to answer :smile:

Katrina is an enormous tragedy, and my prayers go out to all who had the misfortune of being caught up in the fury of that hurricane. There are 22 benefit acutions on Seedbay right now with proceeds going to the victims, in case anyone stopping by here wishes to contribute in some way.

Have a nice evening Bud! I'm sure H3ad will be by here soon to help out with the venting/cooling issues :wave: It was their 10 year anniversary this weekend and they have better things to do right now :sasmokin:

G

water cooled fan...

water cooled fan...

This may or may not fit into your scheme, but here is an icewater cooled fan idea (modified from an idea I read on the net somewhere once). It will require some sort of reservoir(large ice chest preferred), a submersible fountian pump, some 3/8" clear rubber tubing, a few feet(5 or 6) of flexible copper tubing 1/4" dia., some small hose clamps, some bread ties, and a fan... Basically, the flex copper is attached to the fan's grill in a spiral with enough space between loops for the air to flow through unimpeded, the 3/8" tubing connects the pump to the coil(copper spiral), and the other end of the coil drains back to the res through more 3/8 tubing... fill the chest with ice water, turn on the fan, and start pumping the icewater through the coil... remove water, and add ice as necessary to maintain a pumpable water level at an icy temperature...

I hope this is understandable and helps...

H3ad

G

yea girl I had him post it but I am not so sure if it'll be practical in your situation... but would help in a pinch on really hot days, which hopefully will be behind us soon and you will be able to prepare for the next grow... :D

I honestly think I can cover it with something like a glade plug in or an airwick thing that sends a lil spray into the air every 15 minutes or so.
yeah, depending on the strain it can be containable during growth, but what I have found that for a few days when you harvest and hang your plants the aroma really is VERY destinct all through the house, so be thinking about where you're gonna hang these ladies once they are all done.... :smoke:

Take Care :wave:

budhownd

Thanks for the idea Mr. G. :wave:

Um .... I get how ice in tha chest can cool tha closet down a bit but, as far as the tubing and a pump and clamps an stuff, that sounds like a job for the Extreme Home Makeover Team. :yoinks:
I'm sure it's simpler than it sounds, but I think I may need an illustration or two to see how it all comes togeva. :redface: I guess a fan blowing over a lil igloo cooler full of ice wouldn't do anything, huh? Maybe I need to measure that space again. I used an online calculator and it gave me 12 sq ft.

Mkay I got 45.5 inches wide (3ft 9in) W. 37 inches deep
(3ft 1in.) L. (That's just a half inch in from being even with tha door jamb). And 86 inches high(7ft. 2inches) H. From the ceiling of tha closet to the floor. 4inW x 3inL x 7inH =84 in L(4)xW(3)= 12.
Um, I think this is correct for finding the area or square footage of a space, rite? If not lemme know, cuz ,well.. tha math an all... :redface:

* Note: the lights are actually 53 (4.5ft)in from the floor. I'm guessing this doesn't really matter tho cuz I think I'm gonna hafta move the lights further up before this grow is over. Ya think?

OMG!! Ms. G!! I was gonna post something about trying to figger out where tha hell I'm gonna put the plants right after I chop them. But I thot, it was silly to be worried about something like that so early on.
So, my assumption was correct, they can be smelly girls even after they come out of the growroom. Can smell up tha whole house, huh? hmm..... :frown:
The way my plants are smelling now ,in veg., I figgered the worst of it would come, if at all, during flower. I was wondering if the smell would be as strong during the drying process as well.

By tha way, I happened to rub my fingers against the main stalk of my lil sick plant and when I put my fingers to my nose there was a strong, distinct lemon-pine scent. The fainter it got the more the lemon faded and the pine lingered, almost like a faint piney disinfectant.
Being a schwag smoker (fer now) I dont come across weed that smells like fruit or pine or candy or.... anything really (unless I'm reading about it in a smoke report). It just smells like average, not very good weed.
It was a lil eerie, but WAY cool, to unexpectedly experience something that, up until this point, I've only read about. :jump:

Alrighty then, I'm done yappin an holdin ya'll fine folks up. Ya'll have a great day and thanks again for all the help.
Oh! Happy Tenth Anniversary to you, Mr. and Ms. G. I hope ya'll have many, many more.

peace

Bud

G

yea, I figured that may be a little too McGyver :rolleyes: for what you got going on here... but I did find where Secret Garden just got a cool tube and is asking advice on how to wire it... so maybe you could watch and see if it's something you want to invest in... here ya go The link :wave:

and yea, in my humble opinion and experience, You smell them the worst throughout the house when they are hanging so your instincts are on target there as well...

Take Care and I can't wait to see how everything turns out :rasta:

G

Hey Bud, how's it going?

I found the link to the ghetto water cooled fan H3ad was talking about....had seen that myself a few months ago....
Here it is: Ghetto Water-cooled Fan
Note: the lights are actually 53 (4.5ft)in from the floor. I'm guessing this doesn't really matter tho cuz I think I'm gonna hafta move the lights further up before this grow is over. Ya think?
I think! You're going to be doing DAILY adjustments on those lights in flower. Remember, your lights should always be as close as possible to your plants without burning them. To evaluate this, stick your hand under the lamp at the height of the tops of your plants and wait a minute...the back of your hand should feel warm, but NOT hot, any uncomfortable heat indicates that your lights are too close and need to be raised. What you feel on your hand in terms of heat is what the tops of your plants will feel. If the lights are too high, the plants will stretch. I'm actually surprised you haven't been adjusting your lights until now :eek: My light is hung with a system of S hooks and chain, but they sell pulley systems for them also :wink:
The way my plants are smelling now ,in veg., I figgered the worst of it would come, if at all, during flower. I was wondering if the smell would be as strong during the drying process as well.
AS Ms. G stated, they're gonna be kickin' up like hell while drying. Odor control...remember :wink:
It was a lil eerie, but WAY cool, to unexpectedly experience something that, up until this point, I've only read about.

Just wait till you taste it! :eek: :jump: :jump: :woohoo:

Have a nice one Bud! :wave:

Last edited:

budhownd

OOOOOOMG!!!

OOOOOOMG!!!

Hey gang,

Oh Lawd!!!

My girls ( 3 so far :woohoo:) are not happy campers.

I have clawing on two plants and what looks like bright greenish-yellowish looking leaves on one. I'll admit that with this one I took the plant out of the grow closet and brought it into "regular light" and it looked ok( just a lil ighter green on top, but I'm still worried bout her.

I have fan leaf tips curling upwards, drying up and crumbling off. I have mottling that looks like a potassium deficiency. It also looks as tho there is an iron deficiency. I'm thinking a pH problem. :badday:
I'm assuming these deficiencies are present based on the pics in the sick pics thread by MynameStitch, in the sick plant infirmary section.

I'm gonna try to upload pics tonight, but tha way I have to do it from my fone takes so long they may have to wait until tomorrow. I'm already tired and I have to be up early.

Aiight, I have questions.

How is it that I can stick the pH meter into the soil in different places and get different readings? Hot spots? Also, the moisture meter I'm using is saying that the soil is moist in the pots with the two biggest plants, not wet just moist, however, when I lift the pot it's almost light enuff to lift with one hand. Is it safe to assume a 17 quart pot filled with dirt and a two foot tall plant shouldn't be that light?

Do plants normally go thru some sort of shock when they are given their first feeding of flower nutes? I have now switched over to the Fox Farm Big Bloom (First feeding was Saturday Sept. 10th last feeding of Veg nutes was Wednesday Sept. 7th, nothing but plain water between the two feedings).
Flowering food is 100% organic. Sea Bird poo. Bat poo. Worm poo. The recommended first feed is 1/2 cup per gallon of water. I gave 1/4 cup in a gallon, trying to be on the safe side, and used this gallon of water to feed all 6 plants.
I've read the organic nutes aren't supposed to burn, but hey.. I'm a newbie, I figger everything I do is gonna be too much, so I try and cut back on all the "firsts" that I have to perform with my lil warriors.
So, maybe the first feeding was too weak? The one sick lil plant perked right up and shot up about an inch after that first feeding of the higher P/ lower N food. I'm not surprised as it's been telling me all this time that it was Phoshorus deficient, with it's purple stems and all.

I read in a BOG thread that he has about 10 inches of the bottom stem bare of leaves, to prevent molding. He did, however, say that he did this about 10 days before sending them into flower, if I recall correctly. Any thots on doing it after 12/12 has already begun? Doing it at all... bad ... good?
I'm thinking along the lines of, the plant not having to worry about supporting all that lower foliage and just concentrating on it's upper canopy, where the budding will take place.

Geez gang, I'm beat. Had a weekend of too much imbibing at a party and am still feeling woozy two days later. Pics are uploaded to my email, I'll post them tommorow after class if I have the energy, if not then, definitely on Wednesday nite.

Ya'll have a great evening and a super tommorow.

peace

Buddy

budhownd

Well, its done

Well, its done

Hi Gang. :wave:

Just a lil update.

The boys are gone. I chopped them down a few hours ago and the girls now have the space they need to do whatever they are gonna do.

My heat issues in the closet are gone for the moment. Since I switched to 12/12 the temps in the closet don't go over 72 degrees. I guess cuz the days are gettng a lil cooler here and the door is open at night when the lights come back on.

I looked at the roots of the fellas and all of them had white, firm, roots so I'm gonna assume the same about the girls.

I think I may have had a bit of nute lockout because I wasn't adjusting the pH of my water before I watered them. I have become MUCH more vigilant in that department.

Question: Sometimes the water comes outta tha faucet between 6.5 and 6.7 or 6.8 which is fine, but there are times when I have to adjust the pH of the water myself.
Will it hurt the girls if I keep having to add pH down to the water in order to get it to an optimum pH level?

Also, one of the males was in some of the soil that I bought from Wal Mart. This soil is very... dense, I guess you could say. Not airy at all, even with the perlite I added to it. When I looked at the root ball of this plant I noticed that the soil was bone dry all the way thru. However, the pot itself felt heavy as if I had just watered the plant. One of my amazons is in this same soil and her pot feels very heavy.
I recently watered her so I know the heaviness I feel is water not just the soil.
Other than wilting, what are some signs I might see in a flowering plant that will tell me that she needs water? I have a moisture meter but that thing gives 3 or four different readings depending on how deeply I push it into the soil. Should I be putting it just an inch or so into the soil or all the way down to the bottom of the pot?

Ya'll have a great Friday! :woohoo:

Thanks for all the help. K+!!

peace
Buddy

Latest posts

Latest posts