What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

reaperz

read both threads and seem intresting lol.

but i dont understand why you would want to grow from seed, unless you have only 4ft growroom, but you could add a 3ft veg room to house your mothers and clones?

anyway it was a great thread :) enjoyed alot, except for the bitching.

H

Hal

Some other reasons would be to keep the plants short so your lights penetration reaches more of the budding sites, it keeps your plants on the skinny side so it allows you to grow in skinny spaces, and it generally (though not always) results in a slightly shorter harvest time allowing you to grow an extra crop per year. It also allows you to do your vegging and flowering in the same room.

A lot of the reasons do boil down to space considerations...but those aren't the only reasons to consider this method.

Yeah, I didn't like the bitching either, and considering I had become one of the main participants in the bitchfest, I decided to take a vacation from the thread for awhile. Bitching ain't no fun, whether you are in it or just observing it.

chosen

Veteran
way to go Hal...It's definitely an impressive method. I'm already started. I'm going for it all in one shot. 10 started at 12/12 and I'm going to pollenate 1 female from which ever male I get. Funny to hope for a male. Thanks Hal and Atmosphere. 6-7 crops a year for a medical patient is a great thing.

Creeptic

i also am giving this an attempt... i only had room for 2 more plants in the current garden so i popped 2 white widow seeds in with the rest of my flowering plants... they have been under 12/12 since they broke soil 9 days ago... should be a fun experiment provided that at least one of them is a female ofcourse

ill update with pics and info as soon as things get somewhat interesting

:wave:

reaperz said:
read both threads and seem intresting lol.

but i dont understand why you would want to grow from seed, unless you have only 4ft growroom, but you could add a 3ft veg room to house your mothers and clones?

anyway it was a great thread :) enjoyed alot, except for the bitching.

bitching is boring , back to the plant

Why from seed ? a number of reasons - maximum yield from the available space . Instead of that 3 ft veg room you can also make it a other room to flower in .

-you can start seeds at full power light/close to your lamps

-seedplants never had to do the 'rooting trick ' . especially clones that took more than 8 days to root are very likely to have some rootproblems . This can be see nat the center of the stems whe you cut them ( brown spots )
Clone only strains have been cloned for over a very long period of time. the disadvantage of that becomes clear whe you are trying to get some seeds from them . So every time you clone your loosing a tiny bit of quality.(but thats a different discussion )

H

Hal

Hey Chosen...

Excellent, dude. You should get 5 or so girls from the 10. There are some threads on IC on how you go about choosing the best male to take pollen from. I've never done it before, so I can't offer up any advice, but I do know that there are certain traits that you look for in males. All males are not created equal. It is a bit funny hoping for a male...but, as a male myself, it is nice to know the male gender is not obsolete yet!

Hey Creeptic...

Welcome to the thread dude. Glad to see you are giving this method a shot. Make sure that you keep those girls close enough to the light so they get all they want to prevent stretching. Like atmosphere says, seedlings can take full power light, as long as they have a breeze blowing on them to keep 'em cool. I look forward to seeing some pics of your girls.

I just started my growreport on an other forum, but when i find time i'll try to post about it inhere.

Last edited:
G

i have a thread going micro in which i built a micro cab for clones but while i am waiting for mothers i have a seed going 12/12, im already intrigued as to some of the differences i have noticed between that plant and my others of the same age which are vegging under proper lights...

the eye candy

H

Hal

Hey atmosphere...

I visited your other forum at w w w.nomercy.nl/ forum, and went to the english language section. I saw your post on the 12/12 from seed garden you will be reporting on, but I was unable to post due to not being able to register. When I tried to register, all the registration forms are in Dutch. I tried guessing my way around, but it didn't work. I think you and speecees might need to translate the registration directions into english for you to get english speaking people to participate.

H

Hal

Hey rkrone...

We love the experiments! what are the dimensions of your cab? What kind of light? Hopefully that little tike turns out to be a girl, eh?

H

Hal

My registration did work! I just had to go back to my email box and answer an email from nomercy.com to activate the registration.

You guys still might want to translate the registration page for those who aren't as good at guessing as I am though.

rainAgI4

12/12 From seed works...

I know someone who did it with good seeds and got 5 to 7 grams per plant, with a 70 watt hps so very bad lighting to use. If you used proper lighting you could see higher yields.

I also would recomend what sugabear is saying, veg for maximum 3 weeks using a good light. I'd say veg for 24 hours light on for the first week then switch to 18/6. Let it develop some good roots and a couple good nodes and then make it flower, I'd say you'd definately increase your yields this way.

And I know what Moc or w/e is talking about 1 gram plants, that has happened to me, but only because I was using bad seeds... or I damaged them all somehow. But it seemed all the plants were stunted or retarded during the entire growth cycle.

If you have a plant yield 1 gram, you will be able to tell BEFORE it flowers. Meaning the plant will basically LOOK like a runt, from the first node to the last - the entire growth cycle. There will be little or no side branching, and bad internodal length.

This means its a bad seed, or a retarded plant. It does not mean 12/12 is bad. Because believe it or not, I have had plants like this when I vegged them for 1 month - so if they appear in 12/12 from seed, AND, when you veg for 1 month, I'd say it's just the fact that retards happen.

There's a thread on grasscity of a guy who did 12/12 from seed with Oasis (NL #2)... he yielded 17 grams off the 1 plant with CFL's. He has pics updated weekly, here's the link: http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-journals/116190-12-12-seed-oasis-grow.html?highlight=12/12+oasis

Sorry for posting their link, but I feel it is highly resourceful for anyone interested in this method

G

I've done 12/12 from seed a few times....and yes, yield isn't very good per plant. But since branching is very little. You can increase plant number per square foot and that'll compensate to give you decent yields.

Also has no effect on quality. The buds from these plants were very potent.

Its still possible to get 80 grams from a plant started on 12/12 from the start ! You need a good strain ,and a good feno-type and first of all you doing a good job.

onother thing :
Sex is determined by a combination of genetics and all of the factors involved in a plants environment. This is why we can get more females from our seeds ,wich makes seed growing even more efficient.

For what it is worth....

For what it is worth....

Well....been growing for less than a year, now in recycled soil, but here goes...

First true leaves on 02/02/07, 11/13 since birth under HID.

DF99 x 'clips' preflowered at about 3 weeks, still a few to go.

Cherry Malawi is a strong sativa dominant and preflowered at almost 4th week. Maybe 7 to go.

Swazi Safari is a 99% sativa and took almost 5 weeks to preflower. I believe if I hadn't topped her she might have gone 5 or 6 feet. She may have 10 weeks to go (sorry pic text is wrong) .

All in organic one gallon pots of dirt and poop. More pics at harvest.

Lofty

first update on 12/12 from seed

first update on 12/12 from seed

Hi all, i put 17 seeds in veg then 5 days later i read the 12/12 thread and put my seeds into the flower room. i'm not expecting this 12/12 seed to b as good as it cud, these r the reasons.

i only had som cheap crappy soil to use
they didnt hav strong lite to start with
they were veged for 5 days
the humidity has been and is still too low
the seeds i'm using r unknow quality

here r the pics and info upto now

these 3 pics r them at 5 days in veg then 24 days on 12/12

this pic is 1 of them at 28 days on 12/12, its 12" tall from the soil.

this pic is of an AK47 clone i put on 12/12 at the same time as the seeds, its a perfect miniture of a full size plant, its 10" tall and if i cud preserve it, i wud coz it wud make a great bonsi weed tree.

i got 11 girls out of 17, i'm really suprized how quick the girls showd themselves.

i hav put another 45 of these same seeds in on 12/12 this time 20" from my 600w hps.

i hav also put som power plant seeds in wet tissue and am looking forward to seeing how they do.

with the other seeds i've got going i'm guna do som experiments, i'm going to put half of them under a 200w blue spec envirolite for a couple of weeks and c if they grow better than the half under the 600w hps.

that bout it for now sorry bout the bad pics, i took them in the dark while the lites were off

:wave:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i dont understand you? thats 5 days from seed?

you do know that theres only 2 stages of growth right? vegetation and flower. from day 1 after they pop out of the soil they are in vegetation. theres not a special vegetation stage that starts at a certain point in time.

H

Hal

12/12 Strain Report: Bubblelicious by: Nirvana

12/12 Strain Report: Bubblelicious by: Nirvana

Today seems to be a day of grow updates. I am chopping my girls down today, and will be posting this preliminary report, to be updated and completed a bit in the future. Here goes!

1) your experience level...This is my 3rd time growing cannabis, 2nd with this method.

2) Lighting...nine 23 watt warm CFL's in shop lite reflectors, 207 total watts.

3) Container size...Square pots, 5.5" square & 6" tall (approx 1 liter), with 1.5" of rock in bottoms.

4) Soil recipe/mix...Foxfarm Ocean Forest soil and perlite, 2 parts FFOF to 1 part perlite.

5) Watering schedule...determined using the pot weight method, mature plants watered every 2 days.

6) Nutrients used...Plain ph'ed water first 5 weeks, Pureblend Pro for soil (flowering formula) for 4 weeks (every 3rd watering, about once a week), flushed with plain water last 3 weeks.

7) Time until sexing...Ranged from 19 to 22 days.

8) Total flower time...63 days flower time.

Bubblelicious girls day 30 of flower

Bubblelicious girls day 63 harvest day

9) Conclusion...This grow behaved quite differently than my first 12/12 from seed grow, which was using Northern Lights by Nirvana. These plants stretched much more, ranging in height from 39" (plant #2) to 31" (plant #5). This may have been due to the lighting I employed, CFL's (not having much power) may have made the plants stretch more than usual. But I used the same lights on my Northern Lights, and those plants ranged from 12" to 23". I wouldn't recommend this strain, based on this particular grow, for anyone who had serious height restrictions in their garden area. These plants were also much more branchy than the Northern Lights, so it was harder getting the CFL's in close proximity to the budding areas, which I'm guessing also impacted the final bud development.

These plants had a fairly consistent phenotype pattern for Nirvana seeds. There were 2 plants (#2 & #3) that seemed to have slightly more sativa characteristics, mostly apparent in the time it took for them to develop and ripen. Those plants also have a slightly more fuel like smell mixed with the grape gum that all the plants share. These girls smelled very strong, not much the first 5 or 6 weeks, but got progressively stronger each week after, until at harvest time they freakin reeked (yummmmmmmmmm!). Not very stealthy though.

Some things I will do different...well, I am definitely going to use larger pots to grow in. If you look at the photos comparing the halfway point and the finish point, there wasn't a heck of a lot of bud development. I think there should have been more (although the skinny stems wouldn't have handled that very well!). Those small pots only had about 4" of soil mix for the roots to grow in when you subtract the rocks in the bottom and the space left dirt free at the top of the pot. I'll likely use 1 gallon pots next time. I also want to start using a better light, those CFL's work pretty good, but I'm guessing there is no comparison to what you would get using an HPS...250 or 400 is what I would go with. I think I would try some different strains, I'd like to find some others (like the Northern Lights) that exhibit less stretch and branchiness. Of course, if the Bubblelicious turns out to be a magnificent smoke, then I would likely grow it occasionally as well.

I have no idea what the yield will be at this point (any guesses?). I will post this info, along with a smoke report, after the drying and curing process is complete...about 1 month from now. I'll also try to get some close-up shots of the manicured bud, but I will need to borrow a camera that has macro capability.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts