What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dwd's Summer/fall indoor/outdoor grow/show

deepwaterdude

Hey, guys, late getting going trying to herm another batch of premium genetics, but going nonetheless;) I'm going super small (in numbers) with only 4 plants in 7 gal, all fems, obviously. I figured I'd make a thread instead of spamming everyone else's, as was my plan:biggrin:

First, we've got Zamaldelica and Orient Express in 70-30 soil coco mix with handfuls of seabird guano, langbeinite a couple of different composts. They will stay outside in their chair scrogs. Topped 2 days ago and looking good 10 days after repot.

Then we have a couple of distinct-looking A5 x Malawi babelets in a precharged, buffered coco/peat mix. I can feed these girls as in regular coco, which is why they look a little farther along than the soil girls;) They'll be coming inside to flower when temps drop and they're BIG. Running only 2 plants in a 5x5 with blumats and some type of scrog feels pretty spacious to me, especially after having had 7 in there last grow.

Sun is massive these days with temps in the 90s. Girls are digging into big shoes... I checked my weather site, and 12/12 doesn't happen here until mid SEPTEMBER. No wonder my malawi flowered so late and so little last year.

Here dey is. Coco girls get fed again tomorrow.

Attachments

• Zam and OE 2 days after repot.jpg
    Zam and OE 2 days after repot.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 23
  • A5 x malawi day after repot in peat:coco.jpg
    A5 x malawi day after repot in peat:coco.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Orient Express and ZAmaldelica (top).jpg
    Orient Express and ZAmaldelica (top).jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 23
  • A5 x Malawi 2 days after top:fim.jpg
    A5 x Malawi 2 days after top:fim.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 20
  • A5 x Mal 1 - fatty.jpg
    A5 x Mal 1 - fatty.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 21
  • Whole gang in 7gal - June 29th.jpg
    Whole gang in 7gal - June 29th.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Zamaldelica - only pinkish one so far.jpg
    Zamaldelica - only pinkish one so far.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 23
  • Orient exp.jpg
    Orient exp.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Pink Zamaldelica.jpg
    Pink Zamaldelica.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 19
  • mb64
    mb64
    93.9 KB · Views: 36
G

Yeeehaw! :biggrin: Time for another great show!I meself will probably keep on with the spamming :dance013:
Only downside is I think maybe just one a5 might be enough in the tent with all that veg time ...(Ok,scratch that.I just remembered what my room looks like right now ;) )
Just noticed the ol' chairs too.

I think that there's no need for actual 12/12 to induce flowering,even for sativas.The gradual drop seems to be enough for most of them.The hz/kc last year started before 10th of september,and a gt around there,too.

Good luck bro :)

:lurk:

orfeas

Veteran
lovely toddlers there, mate! may they fare well!

what's the scheme behind starting that late, or is it hermetically sealed strictly for the initiated only? :biggrin:

:tiphat:orf

deepwaterdude

Yeeehaw! Time for another great show!I meself will probably keep on with the spamming :dance013:
Only downside is I think maybe just one a5 might be enough in the tent with all that veg time ...(Ok,scratch that.I just remembered what my room looks like right now)
Just noticed the ol' chairs too.

I think that there's no need for actual 12/12 to induce flowering,even for sativas.The gradual drop seems to be enough for most of them.The hz/kc last year started before 10th of september,and a gt around there,too.

Good luck bro

Mornin' Syd;o)
I'm gonna top the hell out of the A5s, more than the little outdoor girls who may decide to flower in August. They've got a full month at the very least to get pretty decent sized;0) And I always go for a full canopy, no matter how many plants are in there.

I hope you're right about the OD plants, had meself in a panic...

lovely toddlers there, mate! may they fare well!

what's the scheme behind starting that late, or is it hermetically sealed strictly for the initiated only? :biggrin:

:tiphat:orf

Goodday, poet, what's the good word? Your woods are full of evil looking babes, beware!

Starting this late because I have an abundance of great stash right now;) And I'm rightly stoned most of the time... moving sorta slowly. Plus very busy with actual work. Tis high season.

My girls are in gear now, and growing very well since top, so it's got some juices flowing:biggrin: In 2 weeks they should get to 2 foot tall at this rate. If the A5s show sex super early, they'll come in for longer veg hours.

Be well, yall, dwd

deepwaterdude

Thanks for the good vibes, farmerlion and Mlewis:tiphat:

Farmerlion, next to your show, it's a bit ridiculous to be excited about what amounts to 1/2 of one of your plants at the moment;) Only I could make a one plant grow worthy of a 3 act play... and I've got 4!

Girls are looking scrumptious this AM but yesterday found ants hard at work colonizing my chair scrogs. Not surprising since they're wetter than anything else around... pretty much every mountain is on fire.

Since they're off the ground, I sprayed some very nasty stuff on every possible access to the pot and even on the ground, then surrounded the chairs with fencing so no inadvertent cat deaths. So now the suckers are cut off from the world. No aphids gonna live on these girls. Will neem the f%$# out of soil, pots and plants tomorrow for the hell of it and for a first foliar of the season. Syd, what do you hit 'em with?

G

Hey bro!I always use a product with spinosad for thrips.First time I saw mites two weeks ago I applied some potassium salts.I was careless enough not to spray anything preventively ,I will use a little cold pressed neem(not the growshop one,I got one from an essential oil store) tomorrow night.

Last year a little neem with rosemary and cinnamon essential oils killed everything with only one application and I only got very few to return before harvest (only on one plant!)which were no problem . Problem is I don't remember were I got my recipe and also I remember that some plants had a few issues with burnt leaves ,but nothing that they didn't overcome in a few days.Only later did I read that cinnamon is very phytotoxic and I was very generous in my dosing,the room reeked for 3-4 days after that :biggrin: I may try pyrethrum for the first time ,too if I have to.

All this just to avoid abamectin(avid) application,this would certainly banish them mites to oblivion.I 've seen dubi recommend it if I'm not mistaken.I did spray some on the walls though last week ;)

Never had aphids,but I think potassium salts,pyrethrum,avid (and probably neem)work for them ,too.Don't know about the essential oils but you could check easily.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi deepwaterdude :)

Thanks for starting a new thread and for choosing our genetics again for your new outdoor season, much appreciated.
Thanks also for giving a try to the new A5 x Malawi cross! Despite the late start, they still have the potential to develop a good size during July and August before start the flowering.

Sorry to hear about the fires in your area and that the pests are coming to your garden. Keep using organic insecticides like oil neem and potassium soaps now that the plants are still small and easier to treat, if pests are well established in early stages later is more difficult to get rid of them when plants are bigger and the summer is on its hottest days.

deepwaterdude

July 3 - Girls digging in + nice reaction to topping

July 3 - Girls digging in + nice reaction to topping

Hi deepwaterdude :)

Thanks for starting a new thread and for choosing our genetics again for your new outdoor season, much appreciated.
Thanks also for giving a try to the new A5 x Malawi cross! Despite the late start, they still have the potential to develop a good size during July and August before start the flowering.

Sorry to hear about the fires in your area and that the pests are coming to your garden. Keep using organic insecticides like oil neem and potassium soaps now that the plants are still small and easier to treat, if pests are well established in early stages later is more difficult to get rid of them when plants are bigger and the summer is on its hottest days.

Always a pleasure, Sir dubi, thanks for letting me try these new testers;) The A5 x Malawi will flower indoors, just the Zam and OE outdoors in their chairs, and I've won the first battle with the ants. Also have some pure pressed neem oil around that I'll employ this evening when they're out of the sun.

Thanks, Syd, for your detailed foliar info, very helpful!

With such a limited number of beans popped, I feel very lucky to have got a very fat, vigorous A5 x Malawi that stinks to high heaven, and also a thinner, more subtle one that smacks of haze;) Lucky combo of plant types. Maybe Syd's right and I'll just bring the fatter one inside, as her branching is phenomenal for scrog and her stink enticing as hell. I'll also be taking bottom branches off of everyone for clone pretty soon.

I can't get my nose close enough to ZAm and OE to see what pheromones they're giving off, but I'm in love with their looks:biggrin:

Here're my lovely babes.

Attachments

• Fat, branchy and unbelievably skunky A5 x Malawi.jpg
    Fat, branchy and unbelievably skunky A5 x Malawi.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Fatter, much stinkier A5 x Malawi.jpg
    Fatter, much stinkier A5 x Malawi.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Stringier A5 x Malawi.jpg
    Stringier A5 x Malawi.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 20
  • A5 x Malawis July 3.jpg
    A5 x Malawis July 3.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Topped once, going fast.jpg
    Topped once, going fast.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 22
  • OE profile.jpg
    OE profile.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Orient Express.jpg
    Orient Express.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 18
  • Zamaldelica.jpg
    Zamaldelica.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Zamaldelica getting fat and happy.jpg
    Zamaldelica getting fat and happy.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 21

deepwaterdude

AS promised/threatened, last night I filled my 1/2 gal pressure sprayer with 1 tsp pure neem oil, 1 tsp epsom salts and 1 tsp dish soap and neemed the hell out of everything outdoors. This morning they were reaching for the sky like someone had a gun on 'em;) This AM also gave A5s their bi-quotidian sensi feeding at 1/2 strength +. 15ml A + B per 6 liters.
Dats da news, happy independence day. GOing to a pig roast;)

deepwaterdude

12 days later - after hail and OD

12 days later - after hail and OD

Whew, pig is roasted and as long gone as reason in public discourse;) Been a whirlwind (could say a haze) lifewise and daily t-storms weatherwise, leaf ripping hail included.
Worse than hail was the definite overdose with my enthusiastic foliar. Curled everyone up, though they kept green and growing. No actual burns just curled tips for a bit. As soon as their healthy bits were big enough I topped again.
The A5-Malawis either have bigfoot genetics or the coco is just a much faster medium. Growth for 12 days is nuts. I topped them for the second time 2 days ago and tied them down today.
Soils girls wanted food, strangely enough... also trickier to gage their moisture content in the big pots.
You also may ask, why the medieval enclosures? see last pic. One of around 20 walking through my backyard at that moment. One of 'em's bound to be a stoner. Statistically, probably 6. Much worse than say thrips.

Evidence attached - BTW, felicitations a la France, baby! Great cup this year, dwd

Attachments

• Pretty good argument for coco over soil.jpg
    Pretty good argument for coco over soil.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Abbott and Costello july 15.jpg
    Abbott and Costello july 15.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Fat Abbott-A5 Malawi.jpg
    Fat Abbott-A5 Malawi.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Little OE.jpg
    Little OE.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Little Zam.jpg
    Little Zam.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02700.jpg
    DSC02700.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 22

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Hey Deep, had weather kick some of my girls asses as well. Have to love these strong genetics. Peace

deepwaterdude

Hey Deep, had weather kick some of my girls asses as well. Have to love these strong genetics. Peace

Yup, I often found my 6ft Malawi blown over after big winds, sometimes for a whole day on her side. I'd pick her up all worried and she'd look at me, shake the dirt off her butt and wink, "Dude, this is shits and giggles, not Africa.":biggrin:

Girls looked nice after turning up their heads and a big rain last night. Better pics with my old camera. I think the two A-5 Xs will have to come inside in about a week. Hamma time;)

Edit: Everyone is already starting to alternate nodes, so preflowers within a week, I'd say. Gives me hope of actually finishing those two chair scrogs OD from seed. Hoping they double in size over the next couple of weeks.

When I say everything about A5-Malawi Abbott, I'm really talking about her smell. She's uber skunky and smellable from afar. ZAmaldelica is also a sweet stinker. OE and Costello, subdued ATM.

Attachments

• OE after rain and food.jpg
    OE after rain and food.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 21
  • OE first rays of the AM.jpg
    OE first rays of the AM.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Zam also perked up.jpg
    Zam also perked up.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Tight little ZAm.jpg
    Tight little ZAm.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 21
  • Abbott.jpg
    Abbott.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Costello-more delicate.jpg
    Costello-more delicate.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Costello.jpg
    Costello.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Everything about this plant is strong.jpg
    Everything about this plant is strong.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
G

. One of around 20 walking through my backyard at that moment. One of 'em's bound to be a stoner. Statistically, probably 6. Much worse than say thrips.

lol bro! :biggrin: 20?Are you in a national park or something ?
Girls seem to be perking up!Cheers matey :)

deepwaterdude

July 19 - babes on rails

July 19 - babes on rails

lol bro! :biggrin: 20?Are you in a national park or something ?
Girls seem to be perking up!Cheers matey !

Hye, Syd, your "greenhouse" is producing most excellent plantage, better than the tent in my humble opinion:peacock:

SO those guys don't come around every day, to my very limited knowledge, but when they do, they're a force to be reckoned with. This is not exactly national forest but very close and all around;) I do live on a nice sized homestead with only one other house and few visible neighbors, and that after many decades of living in toilet sized apartments in big cities. Very nice, this big air;)

I took some advice of someone whom I consider a terrible grower, and it worked out great I hate to say:biggrin: Babes are reaching for it, maybe even a little stretch going. Greening up for the first time. They all got a hot shot of Seamax 16-16-16, two, three days back, basically 1/2 strength or a bit less. And great reaction. Gave each 2/3 gal of mix at almost full strength and followed with well water til runoff. I'll grab their flower stuff too, probably only use the veg stuff once/twice more.

So the MalAfives are like vines in their branching, suggesting scrog once indoors. I've got a lot of material for that. They'll probably come in Monday or Tuesday next, 5 days or so. I'll wait for pistils before flowering, go low stress.

ZAm will be a compact flowerer, which is very cool for my short outdoor run, and OE I've got a soft spot for with her lanky leaves and happy growing style.

All right, gotta check out what's cooking elsewhere. Here's our evidence of cannabis expansion and general happiness. dee

Attachments

• OE.jpg
    OE.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 19
  • Hot as balls or - perfect.jpg
    Hot as balls or - perfect.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Costello and Abbott.jpg
    Costello and Abbott.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 20
  • Abbott and Costello A5 x Malawis.jpg
    Abbott and Costello A5 x Malawis.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Da Gang after Seamax 16-16-16.jpg
    Da Gang after Seamax 16-16-16.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Zam.jpg
    Zam.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 20

orfeas

Veteran
amazing fauna and flora in that part of your world, dear lad! so pleasant to the eye making the brain bring about all the corresponding(in beauty and harmony) synapses ... ;)

:tiphat: orf

Buddler

Veteran
Hey DWD had to come over and bookmark your thread so i can be entertained by your grow as always a fun read . I see every body is here . Even the mulies are watching ..:tiphat:

deepwaterdude

Abbott and Costello special - a look at A5-Malawis

Abbott and Costello special - a look at A5-Malawis

amazing fauna and flora in that part of your world, dear lad! so pleasant to the eye making the brain bring about all the corresponding(in beauty and harmony) synapses ... ;o)

orf

It does doesn't it, much like your neck of the sea, quite a tourist destination around here! I'll feel much better when there are only 2 plants out there;0)

Keep up the good work my friend, everything looks good. Peace

Thanks, brother, and I would be absolutely tickled to come help you trim a couple days, see your neck of the woods and stroll in that famous greenhouse... and I do remember something astounding about standing around a bonfire of elevating material;)

Hey DWD had to come over and bookmark your thread so i can be entertained by your grow as always a fun read . I see every body is here . Even the mulies are watching ..

:laughing: Ah, those crazy kids, what can ya do?:) Glad you're about, keeping n eye.
Man your stuff is looking stellar; as per the usual. What's that flowering indoors?

To the topic, my two A5-Malawis are showing their distinct natures, which pleases me no end. Very happy to have two that seem equal in vigor but not of genetic makeup exactly. I wanted a fat one, like the nuggy examples spaventa had, and one skinny one, more NLD. As per the usual I got my wish;o)

Here they is this AM. Couldn't help but throw a pic of OE in, real babe.

Happy farming:biggrin: dwd

Attachments

• Abbott's 4 mains topped twice.jpg
    Abbott's 4 mains topped twice.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 22
  • Abbott's branch style.jpg
    Abbott's branch style.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Abbott's slelected fimmed top.jpg
    Abbott's slelected fimmed top.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Fat Abbott July 21.jpg