What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP Franco the Strain Hunter

H

HemperorsKnight

the dude was really nice.
I went to KushKon in LA in '09 and showed him the dark bud in my Avatar that was the best thing I found strainhunting the previous winter in the caribbean.
he introduced me to some other breeders who helped me connect with really great LA buds.
he really went out of his way to hook me up and I wasn't even buying seeds just talking weed.

they're saying Malaria on fb as cause of death.

I will smoke extra OG for you , rip!
View Image

I am surprised if it was malaria that they didn't get a hold of the artemisinin annua that plants extract is known in ancient chinese medicine as the cure for malaria it targets the malaria by the iron content and eradicates it kinda like cancer

Thx for the update btw

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found this while looking for something appropriate to add here in the way of a picture, this one struck me as perhaps exploring the universe, what nailed it was the title & artists name:

aaa3259_opening_the_heavens_by_killabc-d56fpmb_zpswtplsdlq.jpg

Opening the Heavens
by KillaBC​

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am surprised if it was malaria that they didn't get a hold of the artemisinin annua that plants extract is known in ancient chinese medicine as the cure for malaria it targets the malaria by the iron content and eradicates it kinda like cancer

Thx for the update btw

Sad, he wasn't treated in time. Gotta give the guy some love for being the ultimate adventurer. He'll be remembered for his many contributions in the cannabis world.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles

There are more than 100 types of Plasmodium parasites, which can infect a variety of species. Scientists have identified five types that specifically infect humans, they are:

1. P. falciparum - located worldwide in tropical and suburban areas, but predominately in Africa. An estimated 1 million people are killed by this strain every year. The strain can multiply rapidly and can adhere to blood vessel walls in the brain, causing rapid onset of severe malaria including cerebral malaria. <~~~most likely the culprit for Franco.
  2. P. vivax - located in Latin America, Africa, and Asia, it is arguably the most widespread due to the high population of Asia. This strain has a dormant liver stage that can activate and invade the blood after months or years, causing many patients to relapse.
  3. P. ovale - located mainly in West Africa, it is biologically and morphologically very similar to P. vivax. However, unlike P. vivax, this strain can affect individuals who are negative with the Duffy blood group, which is the case for many residents of sub-Saharan Africa. This explains the greater prevalence of P. ovale (rather than P. vivax) in most of Africa.
  4. P. malariae - located worldwide and the only human malaria parasite to have a three-day cycle. If left untreated, P. malariae can cause a long-lasting, chronic infection that can last a lifetime and which may cause the nephrotic syndrome.
  5. P. knowlesi - located in Southeast Asia and associated with macaques (a type of monkey). This strain has a 24 hour cycle and can, therefore, multiply rapidly once a patient is infected, causing an uncomplicated case to become serious very quickly. Fatal cases of infection with this strain have been reported.
If left untreated, malaria can be fatal. The aim of treatment is to eliminate the Plasmodium parasite from the patient's bloodstream. Even those who are asymptomatic may be treated for infection so as to reduce the risk of disease transmission in the general populace.

ACT is artemisinin combined with a partner drug. The role of artemisinin is to reduce the number of parasites within the first three days while the partner drugs eliminate the rest.

Expanding the access to ACTs has been integral to the global fight against the disease. In 2013, 392 million ACT treatment courses were obtained by endemic countries, a substantial rise from 11 million in 2005.
However, there is growing concern about the increase of cases of malaria resistant to the effects of ACTs. As of February 2015, artemisinin resistance has been confirmed in five countries: Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam. For these cases, individuals were still successfully treated, but the ACT must contain an effective partner drug.

The WHO has warned that as no alternatives to artemisinin are likely to become available for several years, and because ACTs are the main treatment for P. falciparum malaria, it is of paramount importance that steps be taken to prevent the spread of ACT-resistant strains. National malaria control programs are now being asked to regularly monitor the efficacy of antimalarial medicines in use to ensure that treatments remain efficacious.

Attachments

• malaria-parasites-invade-the-red-blood-cells-multiplying-quickly[1].jpg
    malaria-parasites-invade-the-red-blood-cells-multiplying-quickly[1].jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 45

kaochiu

Veteran
Quick death doing what you like would almost be a success, but he was far too young. Sorry for the family.

810FireFarm

Franco was a inspiration to thousands of us. His positive way of thinking and personality were what made him so likable. His passion for the plant was almost unmatched.
I spent many hours watching the strain hunters, and other video interviews of his, but unfortunately never had the opportunity to meet him.
He was one of the BEST guys we had on our side, and will be missed deeply. Too soon.

Cheers to Franco! He would not want us to be sad, but rather to celebrate his life!

West Sun

Sad news for cannabis world, I respected the man. Hope you have started a new and exiting adventure.

Condolence to family and friends.

AmanteSativo

For Franco
He will continue to watch us
from the other side of the road

Quando venne il tempo di combattere per la sua tribù, l'uomo diede la propria vita per salvare quella degli amici più cari
Benchè non perì in battaglia,il Guerriero curò le sue ferite nella foresta
ma stremato e straziato aspettò l'acquila di fuoco che portò via la sua anima
quando il suo cammino giunse alla linea curva d'orizzonte
il guerriero non scomparve, ma partì alla conquista di un nuovo regno
fu' sempre l'ultimo a cadere, e a noi resta il rimpianto di un abbraccio e il ricordo di un eroe
Dedicato a Franco lo Strain Hunter, sempre con noi,dall'altra parte della strada

Cit. "Dall'altra parte della strada" Articolo 31

jtm

Some kind of shaman
Veteran
Saying a prayer for him, those who feel this, will help him ... where is he now. Lighting a candle for him ("may this be for Franco..."), will help him too. Doing this for a couple of days, or even more, will help him tremendously.

Anyway, let Franco find the peace for his soul, wherever is he now...