What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

Zitz

Hi Dubi, interesting read, good to hear the Eth is "uncontaminated", the phylos links are not working for me however?

Being this is a rather raw heirloom would it be possible to find a more potent plant among many, rather than the 10% thc example. Say as high as 15% thc. Might take a hundred or more plants to find it though if it does exist.

I have a low tolerance and 10% would be enough. Just thinking about looking for a more potent pheno or trippy effect.

The Eth can no doubt be trippy in higher doses, but I would agree it won't be as electrifying (or electri-frying lol) as a strong Malawi.
My advice would be to cross it to one of the more head f#~% African strains, Malawi would be a prime candidate, but Kariba even better (very rare now however.)
I imagine Ethiopian x Kariba would be the sort of thing Moses would have smoked lol.

Also, I'm sure you know this but, remember all the stories of old killer weeds that would destroy 5 guys from one pinner?
They were Thai and African grasses that we now know are around 10% - 15% THC, far lower than a lot of the newer hybrids yet just as potent if not more. And on to follow the terpene trail. :)

Last edited:

ULMW

Lovely to see the recent return to interest with our beloved Ethiopian sativa.
The crosses to develop the thc esp Zamaldelica and Malawis really interest and were a direction I had planned myself to test. Thanks to Dubi and Ace seeds crew it seems the ground breaking works are already occuring.
I would imagine Karibe or even a Thai cross working with the Ethiopian.
I would like to see some of the Purple Ethio phenos as well as they have amazing aromas like black currant and fermented citrus.
Also Ethiopian hash is something I can highly recommend..Kenya and Sudan used to buy it up regularly as it was easier to transport and of great quality. Aromatic and richly spiced. Somwhere between a fine Morrocan and a quality Pakistani.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the hash idea ULMW, just kief the Ethiopian if you want more potency. I think I will just let the strain be as it is and look for special phenos. You do not want to draw a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

I am assuming this strain has been around for so long because it is special and do not want to alter it. I would guess half or more on this site do not attend church and humans tend to need spiritual connection whatever the source. The Rastafarians chose this strain so that is a great sign in regards to spiritual possibilities.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The ethiopians are special indeed. It's maybe the clearest weed i ever smoked, with a blissfull, energetic, positive high with no comedown. If ever you find them to be not potent enough (likely if you're accustomed to hybrids high) try the edibles way and you'll be in for a treat, feeling like you're 20 years old.

This said i didn't try the ace version but i guess they are the same as the african seeds ones.

ULMW

July 23rd 2017 Ethiopian Sativa

July 23rd 2017 Ethiopian Sativa

Tena ystellin!
( May health n blessings thru JAH be with you.)
Greetings to each and all on this special day of Haile Selassie I 125th Birthday Anniversary.
Melkam Lidet Ababa Janhoi! Biruq Fikir Lahulachinuq

I rise today to Ethiopian Coffee and Ethiopian Sativa now beautifully cured at 3months.
As I sip a chalice cup of healing herbs I give Thanks for Life and For All That Is Good.
Igzabhier Ymasgan!

Give Thanks to all I & I RasTafari brothers n sisters worldwide on this HolyDay.

Big Thank you to Ace Seeds for the Ethiopian herb they breed and for all those that enjoy african herbs! Peace, Love and Inity.

One Love

Attachments

• ETHIOPIAN SATIVA JULY 23RD 2017 3MONTH CURED.jpg
    ETHIOPIAN SATIVA JULY 23RD 2017 3MONTH CURED.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 130

48N

Tena ystellin!
( May health n blessings thru JAH be with you.)
Greetings to each and all on this special day of Haile Selassie I 125th Birthday Anniversary.
Melkam Lidet Ababa Janhoi! Biruq Fikir Lahulachinuq

I rise today to Ethiopian Coffee and Ethiopian Sativa now beautifully cured at 3months.
As I sip a chalice cup of healing herbs I give Thanks for Life and For All That Is Good.
Igzabhier Ymasgan!

Give Thanks to all I & I RasTafari brothers n sisters worldwide on this HolyDay.

Big Thank you to Ace Seeds for the Ethiopian herb they breed and for all those that enjoy african herbs! Peace, Love and Inity.

One Love

Is it the biggest holiday for rastafaris? Is it a community gathering? With special food or special rituals today?
Im interested in how a rastafarian spends the day

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I took down my 2 EH after sampling one of them and being disappointed in the buzz. No euphoria, no spiritual effect, mildly annoying in a nervous way.

Smoked a bit of the second plant tonight. Lots of good feelings with this one. Wish I had kept a clone now but the damn plant looked just like the first one. I have lots of seeds left so I will just hoard the smoke for myself till I can get another winner.

These two plants were harvested in 9 weeks of flower under 9 hours 15 minutes lights on schedule. They could have gone another week I guess but I thought they were wasting space in the tent after the first plant failed to deliver the goods.

ULMW

Well I took down my 2 EH after sampling one of them and being disappointed in the buzz. No euphoria, no spiritual effect, mildly annoying in a nervous way.

Smoked a bit of the second plant tonight. Lots of good feelings with this one. Wish I had kept a clone now but the damn plant looked just like the first one. I have lots of seeds left so I will just hoard the smoke for myself till I can get another winner.

These two plants were harvested in 9 weeks of flower under 9 hours 15 minutes lights on schedule. They could have gone another week I guess but I thought they were wasting space in the tent after the first plant failed to deliver the goods.

Greetings Yesum,
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you harvested about 4weeks to early. Ethiopian also takes a good cure to bring out the longer lasting medi hold. I am glad even at 10 weeks young yours provided a pleasing and encouraging effect thst made you regret not cloning. That is good motivation for a next grow when you can schedule and plan to give her 12 to 14 weeks you will be very pleasantly surprised by both yield and quality of smoke and high.
Happy growing!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran

Hi yesum,

I've been smoking many different pure ethiopian females with more than a year and half of curing since late 2015, and i concur with you that there's some variability in the effects of the strain, depending on the female you can find more or less uplifting, nervous, thought provoking, social and 'good feeling' effects.

What i don't see clearly is that you can harvest well matured ethiopian sativa buds in just 9 weeks of flowering, i only found 1 female from a third ethiopian line that was more compact and early flowering (10-11 weeks) but it was very hermie and the smoke was terrible and therefore it was discarded from our selections and reproduction of the strain.

Our ethiopian release, as ULMW correctly pointed out, needs in average at least 12 weeks of flowering to mature correctly, sometimes even 1-2 weeks more (depending on the growing variables). It's not a good way to judge a tropical/subtropical sativa landrace if you harvest her too early and you try to evaluate her without proper drying and curing process.

Anyway, guess you still have more ethiopian seeds to explore, and hopefully you will be able to find the kind of desirable effects you found in your second ethiopian female, but please, let her mature, dry and cure properly until the end before evaluate her.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well you are the master dubi not doubt. But I do not see great differences or any in most cases, in cured buds over fresh. I hang my plant whole to dry. When they are dry they are ready, but that is me.

I will let the EH go longer next time but again, these were under high blue 10,000 Kelvin lights at a much shortened light schedule. It makes a difference.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Ethiopian 1-5 mother ending growing stage

Ethiopian 1-5 mother ending growing stage

Here's our favourite Ethiopian sativa mother, growing organically in a pot. She is growing very vigorously (and stretching like mad!) in our very sunny and hot summers :)

The rains from last week flushed the plant quite a lot, now she needs a good feeding to face the flowering stage.

Attachments

• Etiope 1 5 Early September.jpg
    Etiope 1 5 Early September.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 127
Etiopia

Etiopia

Here is an ethiopian growing in a 5gal under a ceramic light inside. a sour ghana male was intentionally left in the tent to create seeds. From the onset of flower i have been pleasantly surprised by the potent smells coming from this ethiopian line. Smells of wood and herbs. underside of some leaves showed purple.

"and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations"

Attachments

• Message_1506436765508.jpg
    Message_1506436765508.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 91

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A good strain no doubt. I revisited the 'bad' pheno a while back and it was not bad anymore. Both plants are good to go.

Not a silly or goofy high, ideal for Rastafarians or others wanting to get in touch with themselves and the earth.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi sativa-herbivor,

I'm so glad you felt motivated to experience our recent Honduras and Ethiopian sativa releases :) You are a real sativa fanatic!

You are right, the ethiopian produces classic earthy and woody african sativa aromas, not refined at all, but completely faithful to its african sativa essence.