What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Basement Buds in Bed

G

Day 58 flower

picture.php

VG Bubba after about 8 hours in one of the Infinity apothecary jars, I checked the RH and it's looking good at 66%/67F. I should get some clear jars for burping so I can see the hygrometer, and then put them in the infinity jars for long-term storage.

picture.php

Here's what's left of her after taking 3 more top branches down tonight. I'm guessing what has already been chopped might be around 2z, and if that's true, I'm eyeballing another 6-8z maybe left on her. Gunning for that 1gpw (need 520g) with two runts out of five ladies on my first run.

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

I agree, think they'll all have some great bag appeal...

Couple with the new macro lens, gotta spend some time and build a little light box or something instead of trying to shoot buds on plants.

CSI Bubba day 59 showing some amber up top. She'll probably get chopped first (besides the VG Bubba branches already whacked). Maybe just another few days I estimize... :shucks:
picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 60 flower

Surprisingly, I haven't had to pull any leaves off VG Bubba for the last couple of days. I've had a small bowl of her dried flowers (6 days since cut, I believe...), not much taste to speak of yet.

Sugar Puffs I went ahead and clipped a single side branch off her today, since I've been so tempted to chop her main cola lately... It looks delicious. This should buy me a few days before the urge returns.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

After plucking the fans on the sample branch, I hung her in the cabinet with the few VG Bubba branches already in there. Afterwards, as I was fiddling with the clones on top of the cabinet, I kept smelling grape bubblegum and realized it was the Sugar Puffs lol

Peace
DM

G

Thanks guys!

So, being the impatient person that I am, I pressed a 7g puck of the 54-day VG Bubba samples last night hoping to get a better sense of the flavor profile. I got just over 10% out of it at 190F for 3 minutes with a 30s warm-up. I find that I really need to crank hard on the dabpress 4-ton bottle jack to get good pressure... I'll fold the puck and press it again soon, maybe try stepping on the bar lol

I'm very pleased to report that I'm picking up a good chocolate taste, a little bit of mocha to it. It has some similarities to the CSI Bubba, which was more on the coffee side of things with her 40-day sample.

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Alright folks, gather round...

I never believed the rumors until seeing it for the first time today with my own two eyes...the elusive Fuzzy-Browed Bud Owl!!! Apparently they are teeny tiny birds of prey that feast on small garden pests and such. Check it out...

picture.php

See him hiding in there?

picture.php

picture.php

There's those fuzzy brows!!

And a cute nuglet that just popped right off CSI Bubba when I plucked a big ol' fan today.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Mendocino Purple Kush day 51, she has these weird growth spots where a bunch of new stigmas come out of one spot, but they never really develop and just turn into clusters or amber hair. Kinda digging it...there are at least a half-dozen around her top and side branches doing this; very distinctive.

Turned off her water supply a couple days ago. Don't know if she'll even hit the water stress level before the buds are ripe. All the other girls are on day 12 with no water, should be tomorrow I'm guessing for the leaf angles to hit 150%. They're close today.

picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Very wellgrown Dopey :yummy:

Turned off her water supply a couple days ago. Don't know if she'll even hit the water stress level before the buds are ripe. All the other girls are on day 12 with no water, should be tomorrow I'm guessing for the leaf angles to hit 150%. They're close today.

12 days without water?
Leaf angles?

What have I missed?

P :smoke:

G

Controlled Drought Stress
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ical_Cannabis_Using_Controlled_Drought_Stress

...What's interesting in the referenced study, they said the drought plants measured the same Water Potential as the control plants all the way up until the 11th day, which is when the leaf angles reached 150% of the initial recorded angles. That same day, the Water Potential of the drought plants was suddenly 50% lower than the control plants.

I believe that is the true indicator of drought stress in the plants, when their Water Potential drops as if the plant is "giving up" or "making other plans", as it were. While I don't have the tools to accurately measure water potential in these plants, the study concluded that you could use the leaf angle as an accurate indicator with a strong correlation to the water potential of the plant. When that leaf angle hits 150% of the original angle, you know the water potential has dropped off and the plant is stressed.

I'll plan to water these again before chopping, too...

You'll have to look through the results, but some of the cannabinoids' dry weight increased by >50% vs. the control plants. I think an important part is watering again after the drought, allowing the plant(s) to recover so they can realize the benefit from the stress.

While I cannot measure the effects of the drought stress, since I have no control plants, I'm happy to save 2 weeks of water and it had the added benefit of getting rid of the fungus gnats. (I have some nematodes to deploy to make sure all the eggs and larvae are gone, too)

Pics from yesterday, day 61...

picture.php

CSI Bubba
picture.php

picture.php

Three Queens
picture.php

VG Bubba
picture.php

Peace
DM

calientecarlos

Veteran
I am thinking the drought is sort of like forced senescence. That last watering after drought tricks plant into giving all remaining energy/glucose to fruit production. Just my take..

Nice work they're lookin great!!

G

I'm thinking along the same lines...that last push to produce cannabinoids is amped up somewhere along the way. We'll see soon enough...

Day 63 flower

Starting to think Sugar Puffs main cola and other tops will need to come down next, lots of amber trichome heads showing up last few days. Want to give her a couple more days to soak up some water though.
picture.php

CSI Bubba will probably come down after that.
picture.php

Then Mendocino Purple Kush, I believe.
picture.php

picture.php

And Three Queens still has quite a few clear trichomes, she'll be last I think.
picture.php

I'll keep harvesting VG Bubba as-needed as the branches run out of leaves. She's not showing any amber yet.

Peace
DM

G

Ok so they have been watered again in these pics? ^

Yes, I watered them by hand around mid-day yesterday, but only a couple of gallons. All of them sprung back today, but some were drooping by the end of the day again. So I'll water again first thing tomorrow @ lights-on. I continue to increase the dark period each week, just moved it up to 13.25 hrs off, 10.75 hrs on tonight.

Here's a group shot showing how much it has opened up with the removal of bad fan leaves.

picture.php

MPK is day 53 today, been 4 days without water. But she's showing amber trichs up top already and I doubt she'll go another two weeks.
picture.php

She had the biggest fan leaf in the room
picture.php

picture.php

Definitely need to chop Sugar Puffs main cola tomorrow. She's fading fast!
picture.php

Peace
DM

Latest posts

Latest posts