in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Heavy metals in Organics

Thread Title Search
Heavy metals in Organics Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2019, 02:02 AM #1
xBOBxSAGETx

xBOBxSAGETx is on a distinguished road
Heavy metals in Organics

Hey guys, there seems to be no discussion about this but I’ve just been educating myself in Organics in general. Residual heavy metals seem to be a common thread in Organics. Rock dusts being the heaviest hitter amongst organic fertilizers. Has anyone tested their flowers for heavy metals and is this simply fear mongering? Or is this truly a concern? As with everything surrounding cannabis the research in limited but Organics in fruits and vegetables the info is out there. I’ve read that roly-polys reduce heavy metals. Any thoughts/opinions? I am a novice grower and not biased towards organic or synthetic growing. What I can get behind with Organics is having things correct at the source (soil) and not having to supplement with bottled nutrients to feed my plant. Other than that I’m not into the “organic” lifestyle with my day to day life.

Im planning on doing some experiments with lab tests. I just want to know what you guys think before hand!
xBOBxSAGETx is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:07 PM #2
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivor
Being that cannabis is used, the world over, for phytoremediation of contaminated grounds (Cherynoble for instance); you should be concerned with heavy metals in your medium/plants. I doubt anybody is testing for them though.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 PM #3
xBOBxSAGETx

xBOBxSAGETx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPassion View Post
Being that cannabis is used, the world over, for phytoremediation of contaminated grounds (Cherynoble for instance); you should be concerned with heavy metals in your medium/plants. I doubt anybody is testing for them though.

There is testing available for heavy metals in plant material.
xBOBxSAGETx is offline Quote

Old 03-15-2019, 07:05 PM #4
russian420

russian420 is a jewel in the roughrussian420 is a jewel in the roughrussian420 is a jewel in the roughrussian420 is a jewel in the roughrussian420 is a jewel in the roughrussian420 is a jewel in the roughrussian420 is a jewel in the rough
if you want alot heavy metals.
Grow UNorganic.

Keep use those chemical nutes and you will have that

Organic grow is pure nature
SORRY
russian420 is offline Quote

Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 PM #5
AgentPothead
Just this guy, ya know?

AgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond reputeAgentPothead has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBOBxSAGETx View Post
Yes those tests exist, I think he meant nobody is spending their money to test that, which is weird with so many people growing in soil, myself included. Umass just seems to have the soil tests if I'm reading this right, plus as a federally accredited university I don't think they would want to be testing marijuana anyway. The 3 testing labs in Mass all seem to offer flower tests, but they seem expensive if I'm submitting a sample for each plant. Is there an easy way to home test for heavy metals in plants? And I mean if you get your soil tested before growing in it, that's a good general area of what to expect I'd imagine.
And honestly. My fuck ups turn to gold so much the thought of fuckin up don't even bother me. So I keep it auto when I'm stepping through a portal. I know that sounds strange but, strange beats normal.
AgentPothead is offline Quote

Old 03-15-2019, 08:14 PM #6
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivorMJPassion is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBOBxSAGETx View Post

Yep.

I'm pretty sure I could send a soil sample out to nearly any of the various soil testing labs for such or I could take a soil/tissue sample to the county Ag office. I'm pretty sure that there are a couple fertilizer companies that do this type of testing as well.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 03-15-2019, 09:24 PM #7
GOT_BUD?
IC Mag Supporter

GOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant futureGOT_BUD? has a brilliant future
My plants love heavy metal.

And gangster rap.

I'll see myself out now.
GOT_BUD? is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:59 PM #8
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Microbeman has disabled reputation
All reputable soil makers-distributors will test for heavy metals. Any lab testing legal cannabis for the industry will also be doing so.
I tested all my soil and amendments that were not already tested. A good test (even for soil) costs around $200+.

"When the facts change, I change my mind.
What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~
The thing which man is most sure of, is man's greatest mystery.....gravity.
Microbeman is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:03 PM #9
dank.frank
ef.yu.se.ka.e.em

dank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivordank.frank is a survivor
In all reality, cannabis will and does pull heavy metals and even radioactive materials from the soil quite readily.

In terms of organic soil though, you go back to the cations and anions and what charges are present in the soil. If you have excessive free +/- charged particles for things to form bonds with, those bonds will be formed, and that includes heavy metals.

The trick is to make sure you have adequate iron, manganese, boron, and other essential micro elements. If these are present in the soil system in the right proportions, then the cation exchange sites are filled with these micro-nutrients instead of the heavy metals you're worried about.

dank.Frank
ambiguous for the sake of the
ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR

Organic Soil ---> click here Current Grow --> click here
dank.frank is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:47 PM #10
Lost in a SOG
~~ex Atlantean~~

Lost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant future
Yeah and it an availability thing at different pHs as well.. for example at v.low acidity aluminium becomes super available..

With lots of humates any particularly agressively charged chemistry will remain locked up in them..

Toxicity in other growing methods is FAR FAR more likely so long as you use a sensible organic soil recipe.. with bottled nutes you're forcing them to eat what you want which can be much more toxic than preparing a microbe rich soil and letting the plant and the microbes figure it all out..

Cannabis actually isnt that much more an agressive accumulator than most other plants if you look at the dry weight values in studies but we dont inhale broccoli or carrots and the lungs are a pretty poor elimination pathway..
Lost in a SOG is online now Quote

5 members found this post helpful.