Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > Screw-in around. High wattage SIL grows & designs

Thread Title Search
Screw-in around. High wattage SIL grows & designs Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2019, 02:40 AM #1
Drop That Sound

Drop That Sound has disabled reputation
Screw-in around. High wattage SIL grows & designs

The title says it all, here is a place for growers utilizing screw in LED bulbs, on a larger scale than considered normal.

Lets see how far we can push the limit. Is their even a limit on the amount of bulbs one could possibly use, or should there be?

Lets see those tents packed with SILs, or even large rooms, or warehouses for that matter.

What's the most bulbs you have used? Do you plan to invest in scaling up the amount you already do? Is this a crazy idea altogether in your opinion?

Is it worth it? Could the currently cheap/not so cheap LED bulbs out-perform the latest advances in LED lighting technolgy, and at the lowest possible cost?

Is there a way to make it work? Lets find out shall we!
Drop That Sound is offline Quote

Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 PM #2
Hastings

Hastings will become famous soon enoughHastings will become famous soon enough
I have a bit more than 840 watts in a 5X5 tent, do I qualify? Is that "normal". Gosh, I hope not! Lol

I'd like to be the first around to break the 1,000 watt barrier, but I think that would be way overkill for 25 square feet. I don't think this system outperforms modern quantum boards with the latest, most efficient diodes. I'm running 33.6 watts per square foot. Those guys can get away with 20 watts per square foot. But if electricity costs are lower where you live, this is a perfect solution to the high cost of such a setup. It cost me just over $300 Canadian dollars to light my 25 square feet. Using the most efficient diodes and drivers available to light this area today where I live could cost me literally thousands - depending if I went DIY or ready to go of course. It would take me 10 years of growing to realize any cost savings with the most "modern" lighting option with my electrical cost.

But perhaps I actually SAVE in electricity. You can dim individual Q-boards, but regular LED light bulbs can easily be turned on and off simply by screwing them in all the way - or not. That way, I start my seedlings under a couple bulbs each in their permanent growing place (I'm doing no-till organic), then screw in more bulbs as the 4 individual plants grow. I have control over color temp, using the daylight/cool white initially, but adding a few warm bulbs to the mix as the plants get large. This kind of flexibility can result in significant cost savings electrical-wise, because we don't want to light the tent floor! Tent floors do not produce bud. The flexibility allows us to direct photons to where we want them.

I'm really liking how this works!
Hastings is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 PM #3
Chevy cHaze
Out Of Dankness Cometh Light

Chevy cHaze has much to be proud ofChevy cHaze has much to be proud ofChevy cHaze has much to be proud ofChevy cHaze has much to be proud ofChevy cHaze has much to be proud ofChevy cHaze has much to be proud ofChevy cHaze has much to be proud ofChevy cHaze has much to be proud ofChevy cHaze has much to be proud ofChevy cHaze has much to be proud ofChevy cHaze has much to be proud of
Yes you're doing it right, and your watts/sqf are ok too.
No need to dim, just screw out a couple bulbs and voila, done.

I wouldn't be too pessimistic, I am of the opinion that a proper SIL setup will outperform most commercially available lights and be cheaper. I use 10x 13w 1521 lumen Philips bulbs and have yet to find anything that produces more bud per watt.
I must say I have not tried the latest 2019 state of the art LED fixtures, but I reckon they won't be cheap, and the low SIL costs will make up for potentially better efficiency of the latest diodes.
I don't have the room to go bigger atm, but I reckon you'll need 30x 13w SILs to replace a 1k hps light. If you upscale, this and the costs for area lit won't change, so I can't get why not more people are doing it.
For me, if I had the space, this would be the way to go after having tried all sorts of lights over the years.
CC

cbd is where it's at - 250w organic blumatized cbd skunk haze grow

super silent mode organic blumatized hans panel grow - 80gr from 65w of LEDs

"In what you say of another, apply the test of kindness, necessity and truth, and let nothing pass your lips without a 2/3 majority."

"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope"- Freewheelin' Franklin
Chevy cHaze is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2019, 12:24 AM #4
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
Lightbulb

I like these 13.5 watt "Cool" non-dimmable LED's. (Color Temp 5000K)

$5 for a 4-pack, when you can find them.

That's the best price I've found.

The 100 watt, 15.5 watt is about $8 a four-pack.

The equivalent Warm light is about $7 a 4-pack. (Color Temp 2700K)

I have 2 panels, one is 2x4 feet, the other is 2x3 feet.

Using them for Lettuce-ish grows indoors, but will probably find time to germ some Cannabis to keep the Lettuce company.

Got 37 sockets on the 2x4 foot light panel, so that's about 500 watts of LED light.

I like the combination of 2700K & 5000K color temps & SIL bulbs. I find it works better than a normal COB lamp for some plants.

Will get a picture of the whole light panel with the sockets etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190112_111344_+__.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	482017 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190112_111410_+__.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	482018

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 AM #5
Drop That Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
I have a bit more than 840 watts in a 5X5 tent, do I qualify? Is that "normal". Gosh, I hope not! Lol

I'd like to be the first around to break the 1,000 watt barrier, but I think that would be way overkill for 25 square feet. I don't think this system outperforms modern quantum boards with the latest, most efficient diodes. I'm running 33.6 watts per square foot. Those guys can get away with 20 watts per square foot. But if electricity costs are lower where you live, this is a perfect solution to the high cost of such a setup. It cost me just over $300 Canadian dollars to light my 25 square feet. Using the most efficient diodes and drivers available to light this area today where I live could cost me literally thousands - depending if I went DIY or ready to go of course. It would take me 10 years of growing to realize any cost savings with the most "modern" lighting option with my electrical cost.

I'm really liking how this works!

That's what's up man! All you need is a few more bulbs to break the barrier. One more of your 20 bulb fixtures and you would be top gun in the SIL world right now. Even if you used it for a picture, but then use the extra fixture for veg after the achievement award and recognition. I think you already won it to be honest.

I'd be lagging behind like Goose with 60x15.5 930w array to start with in a little over a 4.5x3.5 area (overkill as i'm told but I'll be able to raise it up and switch rows off, and have my reasons for doing so). Then another 930w right next to it, after doing a side by side of the 930 on one side of the room, and with 2 HPS 1000s dimmed to 50% each on the other. I use 1000 on each side previously but I don't like the hot spot it creates. I'm sure the HPS side is gonna kill, people are telling me the SIL side is gonna over kill it. They also say what you are doing now shouldn't be done.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:20 PM #6
Drop That Sound

A little history, I haven't flowered fully with just SILs, but only supplemented in a few grows. I have done enough testing during veg with 8.5-9w bulbs over the last 2 years and am very pleased with the results I've seen. I'm even more pleased with what I've been seeing with SIL flowers and other growers results online, but usually on a smaller scale than what I know is possible until lately.

I've been wanting to do a full cycle in my flower room with just screw ins for over a year, and had the idea to build larger fixtures, to try and beat my HPS. Or at the least get a more uniform spread over my scrogs, and all the other pro's that come with LED. I've never really been pro-LED at all until lately, but i'm always excited to try new things, just my nature. I'm impressed with my friends gardens, utilizing there commercial systems, but not the price they spent. I tried to talk them into DIY COBs/panels but nope, they rather spend thousands on premade fixtures, etc.

I had planned to use $1 9w bulbs for a large fixture (with 96 ebay chinese base sockets @ $4 a 10 pk) but times have changed and so has my mind.

Fast forward to late 2018, and the price of 100w equivalent Great Value bulbs has dropped almost 50%! Not only that, but I have came up with a design for a fixture that does away with the sockets as well, lowering the total cost of the build by another 50% give or take (especially if using quality sockets as the 14-16w bulbs get hot). Now it's time to play, and go big while the gettin's good.

I hope to eventually come up with a way to scale up SIL arrays, as big as one would want to go, even for large rooms in the 10's of thousands of watts. While possibly saving 10's of thousands of dollars, with a few new designs that can be made quickly from locally sourced scratch materials. I've thought of a way to reduce cost a bit, while possibly extending the life hours of the bulbs, which could make the purchasing of 100's or 1000's of screw in LED's more inviting.

I also want to play in my own personal garden, and build "overkill" fixtures just under 1000 actual watts, with added functions that have not been seen before. Utilizing SILS as the main resource for LED components, because why not? I don't mind failures, or spending a few hundred dollars to test my idea's, which I'm sure will work great and benefit the community.

See below some of my current designs, meet the Air Cooled & or socket-less SIL fixture concepts, and stay tuned for new ideas:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SIL Fixture box.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	482080 Click image for larger version

Name:	AirCooledSILHood.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	482081

Old 01-13-2019, 03:36 PM #7
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
The cost of bare sockets varies a lot.

Have found the same socket - with pre-stripped leads - from $1+ to $4 locally.

If you're doing a lot of sockets, that matters.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:35 PM #8
Hastings

Hastings will become famous soon enoughHastings will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop That Sound View Post
See below some of my current designs, meet the Air Cooled & or socket-less SIL fixture concepts, and stay tuned for new ideas:
Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting. Getting rid of the cost of sockets while making a nice looking panel is a great advantage. The only thing for me is that I used so many different brands of bulbs, each is a slightly different form factor so they wouldn't seat the same distance if the holes were the same diameter. I'd also lose some flexibility (being able to easily turn individual bulbs on and off). But great idea non-the-less.
Hastings is offline Quote

Old 01-14-2019, 12:29 AM #9
St. Phatty

Lightbulb

What's crazy about it is, every one of those lights has an AC to DC converter, when all the LED needs is roughly a 10 volt power supply.

But the screw in socket makes a decent power distribution system, and the price on screw in bulbs is great, even with the added cost of a theoretically unnecessary power converter.

This shows my light panel. Baby lettuce and everything.

The cats dig in the soil, sometimes just out of curiosity. So I have to put up the metal mesh to keep the cats off.

I used extension cord wire and some 18 gauge electrical wire from Alltronics in San Jose CA, to do the wiring.

The sockets have 1 white wire and 1 black wire. So I wire all the white wires into one BIG white wire sort-of-sculpture.

And a big black wire piece of wiring.

I put duct tape over at least 1/2 the ends of the exposed wire. It is live 115 VAC after all. I need to go back and put twisties on all the exposed wire pieces.

I soldered ALL the connections. Nothing like the smell of Flux and Cannabis.

So, do you think I'll get my rent deposit back ?

Actually, you don't have all the information. It's a male cat, and he's not fixed. He doesn't pee everywhere, but I think un-fixed male cats get along better with hardwood floors.

So there is a smell factor and I wouldn't get my rent deposit back without some SERIOUS carpet cleaning.

I wish the cats could talk so I could see how they think this light compares to warm sun-light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190111_104404_+__.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	482145 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190112_112125_+__.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	482146

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:32 AM #10
Hookahhead

Hookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really niceHookahhead is just really nice
500w in a 2x4 fixture is 62.5w/sqft.. that seems like a lot to me? I've had good luck vegging under 20-25, and see others flowering having good results flowering around 30-40w. Any particular reason why you left the plastic globes on them?
Hookahhead is offline Quote