Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > Cannabis Business Network > Proof of tobacco companies coming into the game

Thread Title Search
Proof of tobacco companies coming into the game Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2017, 08:38 PM #1
cryptop

cryptop is a jewel in the roughcryptop is a jewel in the roughcryptop is a jewel in the roughcryptop is a jewel in the roughcryptop is a jewel in the roughcryptop is a jewel in the rough
Proof of tobacco companies coming into the game

Sorry if this is too related to the Philip Morris thread.

I fully believe that RJ Reynolds/Philip Morris/Altria as a whole is coming into the cannabis industry. Their domestic (US) sales have been falling for a time now and it would be stupid for them not to get into the industry.

However, I have seen zero proof of them going into any markets. I've heard a ton of hearsay ("RJ Reynolds offered me cash to buy my farm" , "I saw a Philip Morris GH going up in Oregon") but haven't seen mere pictures, or any secondary confirmations of this. At least in California lots of people are saying they've been offered to be bought out, but it's in the context of bragging so I'm a bit skeptical of that. I looked on the jobs board for some of the companies and see lots of tobacco vape liquid jobs, but nothing remotely concerning cannabis.

So--are they just merely acquiring companies and not rebranding to avoid scrutiny, are they buying up land/businesses and just waiting for interstate commerce, etc?

I would guess Colorado will be the first state they directly enter the market as Denver is coincidentally a popular test market for tobacco, but otherwise I have no reason to believe anything else.

Thoughts?
cryptop is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:28 PM #2
Drewsif

Drewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of light
There are no late comers with fat pockets.

If they are in it, they sponsored mmj. See who sponsored mmj programs (specifically those with vanishing grow rights). Marlboro isn't going to wait and see what quality levels they can get away with, no, the state's been selling them that info for years. Mmj = "How to market trash" research program for corporate entities.

And High Times Magazine is now a business rag. Replaced grass roots cups with corporate conventions. Everyone with money is already behind the scenes... They all hold hands as they circle you.

"But Brawndo's got what plants crave."
Drewsif is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:47 PM #3
farmerlion
IC Mag Supporter

farmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant futurefarmerlion has a brilliant future
HighTimes aka Hype Times hasn't been worth reading in the last decade. Unfortunately...
Printed magazines are going by the way side. There is much more and better information here at the Mag !
Peace
farmerlion is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:06 PM #4
OranguTrump
Crotchety Old Crotch

OranguTrump has a brilliant futureOranguTrump has a brilliant futureOranguTrump has a brilliant futureOranguTrump has a brilliant futureOranguTrump has a brilliant futureOranguTrump has a brilliant futureOranguTrump has a brilliant futureOranguTrump has a brilliant futureOranguTrump has a brilliant futureOranguTrump has a brilliant futureOranguTrump has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerlion View Post
HighTimes aka Hype Times hasn't been worth reading in the last decade.

Longer, IMHO.

I had subscription in the 80's & it was going to shit then.

I am a Pasta-Rasta

"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." - Mitch Hedberg

"Dave's not here"

Quote:
OranguTrump is online now Quote

Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 AM #5
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptop View Post
Sorry if this is too related to the Philip Morris thread.

I fully believe that RJ Reynolds/Philip Morris/Altria as a whole is coming into the cannabis industry. Their domestic (US) sales have been falling for a time now and it would be stupid for them not to get into the industry.

However, I have seen zero proof of them going into any markets. I've heard a ton of hearsay ("RJ Reynolds offered me cash to buy my farm" , "I saw a Philip Morris GH going up in Oregon") but haven't seen mere pictures, or any secondary confirmations of this. At least in California lots of people are saying they've been offered to be bought out, but it's in the context of bragging so I'm a bit skeptical of that. I looked on the jobs board for some of the companies and see lots of tobacco vape liquid jobs, but nothing remotely concerning cannabis.

So--are they just merely acquiring companies and not rebranding to avoid scrutiny, are they buying up land/businesses and just waiting for interstate commerce, etc?

I would guess Colorado will be the first state they directly enter the market as Denver is coincidentally a popular test market for tobacco, but otherwise I have no reason to believe anything else.

Thoughts?
They wouldn't be the 1st company run by old families to go tits up because they can't get their head around the corner.

Case in Point?

1. Sears.
They had a mail order catalog business for a couple hundred(?) years and are now kaputsky. They had a gargantuan lead on Amazon. Fuck on everyone, and they continued to focus on bricks and mortar.

2. ALL Travel Agents and shops.
Look out... Expedia scoops them all up. lol

3. ALL Hotel Chains.
Airbnb sticking it to the big guys.

4. Uber
Kickin' the taxi industry in the balls.

5. EBGames and all the other game stores
Yo Steam.... Buddy!

6. Blockbuster et all
Netflix et all

7. Walmart and the other big box dinosaurs
Wayfair, Amazon, ebay, ....

8. Burpee
Fuck these guys are idiots. They could have been selling pot seeds forever @$10/seed. instead they're still selling 70 carrot seeds for $1.25

I mean.... we could go on and on. Everyone a huge leader blind to the train coming their way.

Cigarette companies better move their asses. They should have been at the forefront for packaged prerolls and buds. But I suspect that train has left the station.
This had been the ultimate commercial break. Which meant it was time to return to our regularly scheduled programming.

- Wade Wilson

---
Silverback's Threads: the Complete Collection
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895

------------
TychoMonolyth is online now Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:28 AM #6
hazyfontazy

hazyfontazy has much to be proud ofhazyfontazy has much to be proud ofhazyfontazy has much to be proud ofhazyfontazy has much to be proud ofhazyfontazy has much to be proud ofhazyfontazy has much to be proud ofhazyfontazy has much to be proud ofhazyfontazy has much to be proud ofhazyfontazy has much to be proud ofhazyfontazy has much to be proud ofhazyfontazy has much to be proud of
All the big tobbacco players have been part of the game longer than anyone can imagine ..they also own all the pharmaceutical companies and have had the cures for cancer for decades ..why bother giving the cure when they can profit from the drugs ...politicians basically own everything ..all the tobbacco companies are owned by the ruling elite families ...they would have changed laws to suit their shares ...

We are mere pawns in their money game ..the change in cannabis laws is saving them from creating ww3 ...once they've earned enough off the cannabis industry they will start the war ..

The minions protesting for decades for cannabis reform achieved fuck all ...nothing was ever going to change till the elite were ready to play a new game ....

Its all a game to them ...they make the laws ..make billions ..we get fucked over

Gotta love it ain't ya
hazyfontazy is offline Quote

Old 02-08-2019, 04:46 AM #7
pumpkinpie eyes

pumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of lightpumpkinpie eyes is a glorious beacon of light
cannabis skoal
pumpkinpie eyes is offline Quote

Old 02-08-2019, 10:53 AM #8
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
hazyfontazy... you had me until "had the cures for cancer for decades"
This had been the ultimate commercial break. Which meant it was time to return to our regularly scheduled programming.

- Wade Wilson

---
Silverback's Threads: the Complete Collection
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895

------------
TychoMonolyth is online now Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:41 PM #9
clearheaded

clearheaded is just really niceclearheaded is just really niceclearheaded is just really niceclearheaded is just really niceclearheaded is just really niceclearheaded is just really niceclearheaded is just really niceclearheaded is just really nice
they have infact purchased chunks of LPs here in canada. They def wont do anything in illegal america, that is false.... canada is setting shit up to blow across the world 1 by one hense why 10 dollar stock is 120... wether or not that happens yet to be seen since none have cracked any code other then shwag for to much money which sorta flys now but they are too focused on going BIG and not focusing on getting it RIGHT first and dont have to at this point as get money thrown at them. When they purchase those rediculous "northern light home grow metal box" company gives a glimpse into the knowledge.
clearheaded is offline Quote

Old 02-09-2019, 12:57 AM #10
WaxyTaxi
Baja Farms

WaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazyfontazy View Post
All the big tobbacco players have been part of the game longer than anyone can imagine ..they also own all the pharmaceutical companies and have had the cures for cancer for decades ..why bother giving the cure when they can profit from the drugs ...politicians basically own everything ..all the tobbacco companies are owned by the ruling elite families ...they would have changed laws to suit their shares ...

We are mere pawns in their money game ..the change in cannabis laws is saving them from creating ww3 ...once they've earned enough off the cannabis industry they will start the war ..

The minions protesting for decades for cannabis reform achieved fuck all ...nothing was ever going to change till the elite were ready to play a new game ....

Its all a game to them ...they make the laws ..make billions ..we get fucked over

Gotta love it ain't ya
nothing elite about them it seems, only trash would do such a thing to their own kind...unless they are a different species?