What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

From 70/30 coco to 100% coco

indagroove

Veteran
100% coco all the way. If you find things aren't drying out fast enough for you it's probably because you don't have enough roots and your pots are too big.

Nope, I don't have that problem. I just harvested a few plants last week in 3-gal containers with completely filled roots. Proper dry backs are the only way to attempt crop steering at all.

Mr. J

Nope, I don't have that problem. I just harvested a few plants last week in 3-gal containers with completely filled roots. Proper dry backs are the only way to attempt crop steering at all.
Try 1 gallon containers with straight coco. Without all that unnecessary perlite there'd be more room for roots.

Straight coco has perfect water retention and perfect aeration. If you're getting too much retention then your roots/coco ratio is off. If you do it right then there's enough roots to suck up everything you throw at them.

mikeross

100% coco all the way. If you find things aren't drying out fast enough for you it's probably because you don't have enough roots and your pots are too big.

Try 1 gallon containers with straight coco. Without all that unnecessary perlite there'd be more room for roots.

Straight coco has perfect water retention and perfect aeration. If you're getting too much retention then your roots/coco ratio is off. If you do it right then there's enough roots to suck up everything you throw at them.

100% on point. I would go 100% coco in 1-2 gallon pots. You want to water multiple times daily then make sure you have enough root mass to dry those pots out daily on day 1 of flower. I would say 3 week veg step up to 2 gallon pots, anything less stick with 1 gallon.

I veg 3-4 weeks, strain dependent in 2 gallon pots. By week 1 flower I'm watering twice a day in straight coco... peak bloom 6 times a day.

indagroove

Veteran

I used straight coco for years before adding perlite. After adding perlite, growth was simply better. Also with crop steering, you really do need more aeration for proper drybacks. Maybe you haven't researched crop steering yet, but many growers are using it with great success. For me, I've tried coco both ways, and the results speak for themself.

jayd

I've tried the echo thrive coco 1% charge 70/30 on my current grow, My plants have never looked so bad. The roots can't handle it. Canna coco pro all the the way for me again.
ive only grown coco twice as i was a soil grower for years. first time ecothrive charge 70/30 with great results , second time 2 in the same and 2 100% coco and had better results with the 70/30. hand watering everyday

Mr. J

I used straight coco for years before adding perlite. After adding perlite, growth was simply better. Also with crop steering, you really do need more aeration for proper drybacks. Maybe you haven't researched crop steering yet, but many growers are using it with great success. For me, I've tried coco both ways, and the results speak for themself.

So what are you pulling per 3 gallons? Something like a half a pound?

indagroove

Veteran
So what are you pulling per 3 gallons? Something like a half a pound?

Around a QP I think, although honestly I don't really weigh anymore. Also, I just checked the bottom of the pots, and they are 2-gal square pots (1.91 gal technically speaking; 7 in x 7 in x 9 in), not 3. My mistake there.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
These are all in 2gallon nursery pots 100% canna coco bricks fed 4x a day under 2 hlg led a550rspec and 600 rspec
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I run 2 gallon hempy buckets drain to waste and water every 2 or 3 days, the hempy reservoir helps keep watering needs down, contemplating going to 3 or 3.5 gallon buckets but I don't need my plants to get any bigger in my 4x4 tent.

asher1er

Veteran
I run 2 gallon hempy buckets drain to waste and water every 2 or 3 days, the hempy reservoir helps keep watering needs down, contemplating going to 3 or 3.5 gallon buckets but I don't need my plants to get any bigger in my 4x4 tent.

How long have you been running like that? What do your roots look like in “reservoir” area?

jayd

in 3 gal smart pots under LEDs ive gottem upto 280 grams a plant but that was with a 6-8 week veg topped and trained

How long have you been running like that? What do your roots look like in “reservoir” area?

hey asher1er, been running the hempys for a few years now, the roots look like they've taken over the perlite res on the bottom, completely wrapping every bit of perlite, but super pearly white, I think the two gallons is as small as I'd like to go at 4-6 in a 4x4 tent, they do fine at 3-4 feet off the ground but when they approach 5 foot after stretch they seem to complain of rootbound a bit at the end.

asher1er

Veteran
hey asher1er, been running the hempys for a few years now, the roots look like they've taken over the perlite res on the bottom, completely wrapping every bit of perlite, but super pearly white, I think the two gallons is as small as I'd like to go at 4-6 in a 4x4 tent, they do fine at 3-4 feet off the ground but when they approach 5 foot after stretch they seem to complain of rootbound a bit at the end.

The perlite in the res area is what is saving you.. i only asked because i ran that way in everything from 5-18g buckets but with straight coco no perlite in the bottom then i experimented in one room running regular drains and the other room with the hempy style and had much better results with standard drain. Either route i was watering multiple times a day tho as these where big trees and would dry out hempy style or not:plant grow:

Bio boy

I was pure coco. Then 7030 pearlite.

Then 10 clay base rest up 7030

Then did a 5050 by accident and was shocked.

So played around now i make 7030

Then i clay base few cm. Add 7030 halfway add plant and cover in pearlite and pebbles and bury in 7030 round the edge .

Basicly my plants sat in a 2litre like space in the middle of 7030 coco pearlite

Inuse a grasslin timer 6x 15second feeds . 1l each feed or 12 8seconds feeds for 500ish .

30 pcent runoff runs like a hydro

Blueback

So I been running 70/30 coco-perlite for a bit now and just can’t keep up with the daily (minimum) feeds. I was debating on running 100% coco and going to every day feed (seems like most who run this feed every other while still maintaining a moist medium). Thoughts?? Or is it worth just going promix?

I run straight Canna Coco in 5 gal pots and water every other day. Switched from 70/30 with just as good results.

mcattak

So I been running 70/30 coco-perlite for a bit now and just can’t keep up with the daily (minimum) feeds. I was debating on running 100% coco and going to every day feed (seems like most who run this feed every other while still maintaining a moist medium). Thoughts?? Or is it worth just going promix?

Solution is an irrigation system

The perlite in the res area is what is saving you.. i only asked because i ran that way in everything from 5-18g buckets but with straight coco no perlite in the bottom then i experimented in one room running regular drains and the other room with the hempy style and had much better results with standard drain. Either route i was watering multiple times a day tho as these where big trees and would dry out hempy style or not

Yeah the perlite bottom is essential in coco hempys, I try to follow what Hempy himself says to do and he had trouble with straight coco hempys.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Perlite is watering down your coco with a substrate that has no cec and as such want's different food. It's illogical.

Most garden centers are selling off their watering kits for hanging baskets. Many contain a good range of fittings and pipework for a good price. Add a timer and a pump with some way of catching your runoff and to stop any siphoning if required.

I'm not sure if you make up a bucket each day. I get a few days out of a kitchen bin which uses as much floor space. Get seen carrying a bin in and what will the neighbours think.

medicalmj

Veteran
100% coco or imho better off just doing the Promix. Newly transplanted will not need to be watered everyday but once the roots are established at lest once a day for best results. Don’t let it dry out once the roots are established. I’ve done every hydro and soils and soilless over past 30 years and I’ve landed on 100% coco. Done all manner of feed methods with trays w/o trays diff sizes you name it. I‘ve gotten over 7 zips in a 3/4 gal pot albeit needs multiple waters per day. Currently just hand watering once a day in 3 gallon pots with plants that are 2’ x 2’. Did a room tear down and Just didn’t have time to set up the trays and drip. Prefer DTW in trays.

Oh yeah and the room is edge to edge two layers of net trellis so how to water you ask? Well my buddy built me a piece of pvc (maybe 1 1/4”) with a funnel like fir beer bongs on end. The length is just enough to reach everything while I roll around on my craftsman seat fir working on cars. The end of the pvc has a curved rubber hose that I think is the drain that you use fir washing machine. Got my bucket of nute in a flat plastic thing w wheels and and 2 liter pitcher. Easy peasy.

indagroove

Veteran
Coco/Perlite in 2 gal pots..

Day 7 of 12/12:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20201022_002000_2 - Edited.jpg
    20201022_002000_2 - Edited.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited: