What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

40ft insulated reefer grow

watts

ohms
Veteran
C02 controller on at 900ppm and off at 1100ppm. Reduce c02 levels to 400 the last 2 weeks of bloom. Also, reduce temps to 70-75 when you reduce c02 near the end for optimal results.

And 60% humidity should be fine with proper air flow as DHF said. 40-50% would be ideal the last few weeks but you should be ok.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Thanks. I have similar capacity. Twice now I have seen my plants stop eating, and look to be stretching not filling when around 50w a foot (LM301). Just coming down to about 45w seems to fix it. Power at the wall that is. I'm not getting 1000umol though. I have peaks of 1400 but 800 on average. 600 minimum. About the most atmospheric co2 can support.

My measurements might not be accurate, but both lux to umol and watts to umol align when looking at manufacturer data.

Perhaps your run-off might hold similar clues to the plants shutting down. Though my findings are very much unproven at this time. I'm working on it though :)

I think sometimes we go with overkill rather than reason. I know DHF and others always preached 50w per sqft but that was with the old inefficient HID lights. I think realistically we should be around 35-40w with most newer LEDs. I bought an Apogee Par meter this round to really get things dialed in.

sethimus

I think sometimes we go with overkill rather than reason. I know DHF and others always preached 50w per sqft but that was with the old inefficient HID lights. I think realistically we should be around 35-40w with most newer LEDs. I bought an Apogee Par meter this round to really get things dialed in.

even less, check out this guy’s thread. gets light bleaching if he goes over 200w/m2

https://www.rollitup.org/t/modular-overkill-led-striplight-build.999522/

running a shitload of diodes as low as possible is the future

mcattak

I used to grow in the containers 20 years ago with hid lighting and swore i would not do it again.

LED has changed my mind.

You rocking 1 or 2 ton mini splits in those rooms?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
I used to grow in the containers 20 years ago with hid lighting and swore i would not do it again.

LED has changed my mind.

You rocking 1 or 2 ton mini splits in those rooms?

theres 2 one ton units in there. i probably should have gotten the 1.5's since it gets 120 here lol. they are doing amazing right now but we are just starting to hit the 100's so we shall see if they can hack it. good thing is since i am in a reefer its r30 all the way around and i can get that fucker to an icebox with those minisplits. the next project is to build a lean to shade structure on the southern facing wall to shade the hot side and eventually put up solar panels once the new perovskite panels hit the market. i am going to try and get fully solar within a year or two. i live in one of the sunniest places on earth and with the new technology coming out things should be getting cheaper soon.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
these colas are getting ridiculous. finally packing on density on most of them. should be getting really heavy in there. i took backup clones since my last round had a mishap and have stalled out a bit. i unplugged the pump to check out the roots in the aero and i almost killed them all. they survived but have been weak ever since.

these mothers are big and healthy under a single HLG-185w driver. its nuts how much power these LED have. these things are bushy monsters! i took cuts off of every plant and then stuck them into the flower room last night.

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_173911.jpg
    IMG_20200428_173911.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20200428_173151.jpg
    IMG_20200428_173151.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20200428_174212.jpg
    IMG_20200428_174212.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20200428_214052.jpg
    IMG_20200428_214052.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 72

DunHav`nFun

Those tallest colas doin a lil foxtailin huh bro ?.....I think you`ll be happy with swellage from now till Harvey as your RH holds tight to 60%-ish during lights out......and yeah ….lower RH is advised without adequate airflow above and below the plants , but by the same token , lower RH also stifles swellage by preventing enough transpiration during lights out swellage periods , so I feel confident in the runs under your belt to see a problem should 1 arise till chop......BTW......that shit`s a trimmer`s dream.....what`s it gonna take.....an hr.....lol.....anyways .....now.....Watts per sq ft...…

When I started researching indoor cultivation back in the late 80`s , everything was experimental and folks were growin shit with fluoro`s and or friggin HID "street lights" wired back to dryer breakers cuz it took 220 volts ta run em…...fast forward a decade and all the underground online Hippie mad scientists had arrived @ 50 watts per sq ft with all the Hydro whore stores hawking all the new fangled "pot growin" HID lighting being the optimal for yield and trichome production from their observations and experiments over the yrs and yrs of startin this lil hobby of ours.....but.....

I ran 5 light 4 plant 10# rooms for a solid decade with 34 watts per sq ft and got bitched at the whole time , but I had a mex skunk hybrid I`d been runnin outside for 12 yrs before goin inside so it wasn`t hard to dial her needs and squeeze every gram out of her since I had no access to any other strains paranoid in Hell , but I digress....back to 50 watts per sq ft.....

After yrs and yrs of big plants , I got tired of fuckin with em , and got talked into smaller rooms runnin increased smaller plant numbers.....WITH.....50 watts per.....that said.....The ONLY strain /variety I had to base things on was 1 I`d worked with for well over 20 yrs outside and in.....so...….when I chose smaller rooms AND plants I saw a complete change in growth structure with nodes stacking really close as well as bottom line higher trichome production on end result colas.....IOW......The extra wattage made the difference of daylight and dark with my old results.....and with all said and done.........…

No increases in yield were noticed , but my quality of product spoke for itself leaps and bounds over the exact same previous product , and I never looked back for the next well over a decade once I obtained and cropped clone only Chem D dialed to the tits....so......now we come to LED`s......I`m retired and still using leftover 600 watt hortilux bulbs for headies and have seen all manners of bullshit systems and setups over the yrs not to mention the out fucking rageous costs of said units that promised the world but never produced many comparable results , so my question boils down to this.....

Usin the fancy par meters , what size LED fixture does it take to produce comparable returns of 50 watts per sq ft HID lighting in a 4 x 4 area that has ALWAYS been the basis for yield and returns for each garden as long as I`ve been around.....IOW.....How many watts per LED fixture that supposedly covers a 4 x 4 area and penetrates deep enough to yield what 1000 watt HID fixtures pull ?......Do your units pull 2-3 lbs per 4 x 4 DH ?.....I can`t wait to see when they do cuz that means all that bullshit heatgain from HID lighting,s not needed anymore …..IF prices come down affordably that is.....aight.....

Nuff outta my old ass this day......Stayin at my lil beach house and bout to go play with my new fishin toy......It`s a drone that flies your bait out and drops it once you see the fish on the remote control screen.....kinda feel like I`m cheatin…..lol...…

DH.....Keep strokin my buddy......I need info on those photovoltaic panels when they get viable for all out solar freedom.....Take care and....

Peace.....DHF...…:ying: …...

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Those tallest colas doin a lil foxtailin huh bro ?.....I think you`ll be happy with swellage from now till Harvey as your RH holds tight to 60%-ish during lights out......and yeah ….lower RH is advised without adequate airflow above and below the plants , but by the same token , lower RH also stifles swellage by preventing enough transpiration during lights out swellage periods , so I feel confident in the runs under your belt to see a problem should 1 arise till chop......BTW......that shit`s a trimmer`s dream.....what`s it gonna take.....an hr.....lol.....anyways .....now.....Watts per sq ft...…

When I started researching indoor cultivation back in the late 80`s , everything was experimental and folks were growin shit with fluoro`s and or friggin HID "street lights" wired back to dryer breakers cuz it took 220 volts ta run em…...fast forward a decade and all the underground online Hippie mad scientists had arrived @ 50 watts per sq ft with all the Hydro whore stores hawking all the new fangled "pot growin" HID lighting being the optimal for yield and trichome production from their observations and experiments over the yrs and yrs of startin this lil hobby of ours.....but.....

I ran 5 light 4 plant 10# rooms for a solid decade with 34 watts per sq ft and got bitched at the whole time , but I had a mex skunk hybrid I`d been runnin outside for 12 yrs before goin inside so it wasn`t hard to dial her needs and squeeze every gram out of her since I had no access to any other strains paranoid in Hell , but I digress....back to 50 watts per sq ft.....

After yrs and yrs of big plants , I got tired of fuckin with em , and got talked into smaller rooms runnin increased smaller plant numbers.....WITH.....50 watts per.....that said.....The ONLY strain /variety I had to base things on was 1 I`d worked with for well over 20 yrs outside and in.....so...….when I chose smaller rooms AND plants I saw a complete change in growth structure with nodes stacking really close as well as bottom line higher trichome production on end result colas.....IOW......The extra wattage made the difference of daylight and dark with my old results.....and with all said and done.........…

No increases in yield were noticed , but my quality of product spoke for itself leaps and bounds over the exact same previous product , and I never looked back for the next well over a decade once I obtained and cropped clone only Chem D dialed to the tits....so......now we come to LED`s......I`m retired and still using leftover 600 watt hortilux bulbs for headies and have seen all manners of bullshit systems and setups over the yrs not to mention the out fucking rageous costs of said units that promised the world but never produced many comparable results , so my question boils down to this.....

Usin the fancy par meters , what size LED fixture does it take to produce comparable returns of 50 watts per sq ft HID lighting in a 4 x 4 area that has ALWAYS been the basis for yield and returns for each garden as long as I`ve been around.....IOW.....How many watts per LED fixture that supposedly covers a 4 x 4 area and penetrates deep enough to yield what 1000 watt HID fixtures pull ?......Do your units pull 2-3 lbs per 4 x 4 DH ?.....I can`t wait to see when they do cuz that means all that bullshit heatgain from HID lighting,s not needed anymore …..IF prices come down affordably that is.....aight.....

Nuff outta my old ass this day......Stayin at my lil beach house and bout to go play with my new fishin toy......It`s a drone that flies your bait out and drops it once you see the fish on the remote control screen.....kinda feel like I`m cheatin…..lol...…

DH.....Keep strokin my buddy......I need info on those photovoltaic panels when they get viable for all out solar freedom.....Take care and....

Peace.....DHF...…:ying: …...

i think that around 30-35w per sqft would easily match what the old 1000w SE would do. maybe more. i would have to fire one of mine up to be sure. i can do a test once these GG come down. im gonna have to put up a partition in there and cut and hang in the container. its gonna be a pain, but thats the only place where i can dial in the temps. i can turn that thing into an icebox with those minisplits. i was hitting 2+ with 600w of my old cobs and these are markedly more efficient. my guess is that with the right strain dialed in these can easily hit 2-3 per 4x4.

im off to get some box fans for under the canopy for the time being. after this run i will have vented pvc tubing for under canopy air movement. lots of small tweaks are coming to the grow room soon as these clear out.

as far as fishing with a drone goes...... i have been wanting to do that for couple years! i fish a lot here night time in the desert for big catfish, bass and stripers. nothing like hooking a big one in a kayak or float tube lol

madalasatori

Veteran
I went from 50wpsf down to 40 under DE lighting and it improved my results. Bear in mind this was in a grow where height was an issue.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
These things are just about done. im gonna have to start planning out how im gonna partition the room for drying and curing. i have a bunch of old panda film that i can put up but my walls arent magnetic so its gonna be a pain in the ass to put up. i guess double sided tape it is. it would be nice to have a partition anyway so i could do a flip flop in there if i wanted. i dont know if its feasible anyway. i just need a separate veg room.

Attachments

• IMG_20200505_200251.jpg
    IMG_20200505_200251.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20200506_212403.jpg
    IMG_20200506_212403.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200504_160234.jpg
    IMG_20200504_160234.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 76

Drop That Sound

For drying, you could probably just setup a tent...

As for putting in walls.. Sucks the existing walls aren't magnetic. That could be a cool way to make temporary wall panels that just pop in, wherever you want using heavy duty magnets. Giving you the option to transform the size or shape of your rooms, wherever and however you want.

Could make the walls out of light galvanized steel studs, and foam insulation panels with the mylar skin. Still be able to glue them in place somehow. Silicone holds pretty well. I haven't really found any metal self tapping screws that will work on stainless.. Even just using 4x8 foam panels, they could be connected with metal tape.

Otherwise, go all the way.. Tig weld the new wall frames right into the existing walls, and use more high grade stainless sheeting for panels. Or just weld some brackets in, to hold up whatever kind of walls.

roybart

I added 2 of Caravan Canopy 10 X 20-Feet Domain Carport, White from amazon and installed over 40 x 8 travel trailer. I got some brackets made to attach to the trailer. Its survived some 60 mph winds so far I am in the desert also.

DunHav`nFun

Hey Bro.....Them bitches bout done ?......Been playin with my new fishin toy for a few days and this shit`s beyond free entertainment....Find big fish , drop bait , hit return and the drone comes back exactly where it took off from and sits down on the beach , put remote down , pick up rod with the reel set on clicker to keep tension on the line , reel up slack and set hook and it`s off to the races.....

DH.....Got hooked on stripers in `88 when a 40 lb`er swallowed my 13" gizzard shad and took off with 150 yds of 20 lb. line , then jumped like a tarpon and disappeared......45 mins later that fat bitch rolled up on her side and died next to the boat from fighting so hard......tried to save it but she was gone after being up river spawning for the last 2-3 weeks with the only thing in her belly once opened was my bait.....anyways......Can`t imagine doin that shit at night in a kayak ….in the desert......much respect.....now....

Army corps of engineers states code for water flow is MINIMUM 1/8" per ft , so you`re gonna need 5" of fall to drain off your containers to a "sump rez" so as to be able to add back to main rez right ?.....Have you done runoff addbacks to the rez before ?......I wanna know how all that adds back to stock rez and hasta be readjusted before next feed......especially with coco.....Drip Clean comes to mind as a preventive measure.....1 ml per gal saves your ass in coco preventing residual salt buildup......guaranteed.....anyways......No reason to do a side by side or close off a room in that trailer , just get another trailer and run em both lights on at night just a month or so apart in age to Harvey every month or so and double yearly returns with product always available.....aight.....

Nuff outta me this day......gotta check my crab traps for smallies that`re perfect for drone droppage and instant hookup....lol.....I`ve got the fever and it`s fun......Take care and good luck...…

Peace.....DHF...…:ying: ……..

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Snip
My LED are home made from bars I got on kingbrite on Alibaba
snip
Care to expand on what models you used?

they are the regular bars that they use to build their own lights that i just buy separately. they are the basic ones without any reds or uv. i went with the best deal and figured i would add in the red and uv later. they are samsung 301 something or other....or so they say. who really knows. all i knw is that they work well.

i would drop a link but im pretty sure it would be hard to get anything off of alibaba at the moment. send me a pm if you want a link and i will track it down

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i call it like i see it. this was a straight up mids factory. most of which was my doing. i think the crazy co2 messed things up a bit, among other things. this room will be sanitized and fogged as soon as i can get the flowering mothers down in a week or two. the clones i got from socal came with some little friends. more shit to fix another day.

my little extractor is gonna have its work cut out for it lol. i am going to be extracting for a week straight. its gonna suck dangle downs.

Attachments

• IMG_20200512_222023.jpg
    IMG_20200512_222023.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20200512_164202.jpg
    IMG_20200512_164202.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200512_133735.jpg
    IMG_20200512_133735.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 76

roybart

they are the regular bars that they use to build their own lights that i just buy separately. they are the basic ones without any reds or uv. i went with the best deal and figured i would add in the red and uv later. they are samsung 301 something or other....or so they say. who really knows. all i knw is that they work well.
I found in the following colors for 7.00 a roll (16 feet)

Cool white
Warm white
Natural White

5630 SMD LED STRIP

Specifications:

Size:Width 1cm x Thickness 0.2cm
Length: 5M/16.4FT

Light Color: Warm white/ Natural White/ Cool white
Protection Rate No-Waterproof / IP65 waterproof
Working Voltage: 12V DC
LED Quantity: 60leds / m
View angle: 120 ° ~ 140 °

Working Temperature: -20 ° to 50

Watts: 72W

I have a dimmer and drivers for the tapes
Long term it would be nice to use solar to save some power.
Set up like this

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i know i sound like a massive complainer lol but i am not at all happy with how this round turned out. some of it was definitely my fault for sure. the buds stretched super bad and never quite filled in. i am thinking it was the co2 late in flower that did this. none of my other strains did it all. they were put into the container after the co2 had been lowered, or were flowered in a different room.

i took the airy buds and squeezed them a little in vacuum bags and they actually shaped up nicely. they are still very spongy but they are still a bit moist yet. i think it will be ok for the most part overall but will make more steps for me in the long run. the other strains i ran in there are rock hard. they went in after the co2 was lowered way down. it's either that, or the one strain in particular just didnt do well for me.

the single bud horizontal is the pressed GG. the left one on the pink lid is the pressed gg, and the other is the rock hard purple zkittles. the one in my hand is the same PZ

Attachments

• IMG_20200515_201718.jpg
    IMG_20200515_201718.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20200515_215809.jpg
    IMG_20200515_215809.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20200515_234551.jpg
    IMG_20200515_234551.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 62

Latest posts

Latest posts