What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Teflon© Bag Collection Tek, No scraping

Dirt Bag

Did I miss it? Surely it's been tried, coating the inside of shatter platters with PTFE/Teflon? The platter doesn't see the temperature extremes some of the rest of the system does, so hopefully the PTFE will adhere, I read if you rough up the SS first there's no problem.

With the new pumps (Haskel and VaporHawg) you can take the puddle all the way down quickly, so rather than going for a cotton candy mess to scrape out, how about you go for a pre-shatter shatter hunk in a coated shatter platter, that, if it won't immediately flop out due to the coating, I assume you could stretch a piece of Saran/plasitic wrap across the top to protect your oil from contact with cold/moist air as you set the shatter platter on a frozen, thick candy maker's style stone platter in the freezer for a few seconds to effect separation. Or you could quickly drop the temp of the outside of the coated shatter platter with an aerosol discharge of some sort, squirt some CO2 etc. on the bottom. Another thought, if your coated shatter platter had a PID controlled silicone heater (heat mat) stuck to the bottom already to add heat during boil off, it could also be used as the controlled heat source during vacuum purging. With disconnects you could keep the same settings for the CLS and vac purge PIDS.

But who really knows, it may indeed ridiculously slide right out like on a TV infomercial.....

Then again it also occurs to me, the reason guys don't run a bunch of shatter platters switching them out from a CLS to lids connected to vacuum pumps for continuing purge is possibly the puddle's too thick, not enough surface area, but I'm still thinking it's because you can't scrape shatter from shiny stainless.

I haven't done a run in a long time, or I'd just test it myself... just use a PTFE/Teflon fry pan as the evaporating dish in an extraction, and find out just how quick release it is for the purpose. As I suggested years ago, and also never tested out, why not use PTFE/Teflon baking pans instead of Pyrex for open extractions? Even easier, after the quick cool down in the freezer, you can squeeze the walls of the pan to get some action without having to resort to slamming it down on a hard surface which might result in pre-shattered shatter. ;-) Further, if the baking pans release, they should be fine to go straight into a vac oven. How about any of you guys that do ethanol and iso shatters, I know some of you get consistent shatter, have you ever used PTFE/Teflon coated baking pans for evaporating, and maybe even all the way through final purge??
Did anything ever come of this? Did you coat your collection platter? I have been pouring off @ -5hg with about a 1/2" of liquid to avoid the dreaded scrape. This cost us more than a half pound of solvent each time so we'd love to find an alternative method that eliminates both scraping or wasting solvent.