What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

whole plant extraction

WPA

Hey guys!

Former med grower and patient, went back to my full time day job helping save animals after i502 went into effect and dispensaries closed and my patient base dwindled, but im itching to get growing again. I'm looking at finishing the crawl space under my house into an unfinished basement and building a few rooms down there, and after talking to some construction buddies they thought between 50k and 60k and possibly more since I live on a hill just to do the basement. Previously I would have never thought about doing this, BUT after seeing spaces like Miami Mango and others crushing 3+ lbs a light and all these extractors doing whole plant live resin and the demand for the product I really feel like I could go back to a one man operation and be able to keep on top of the work as I knew limited trimmers back in the day, and now I know even less.

Given the cost of this project and my inexperience with whole plant runs here are my questions

I used to average about 1.25-1.75lbs of bud per light on a single ended bulb with no Co2, but I never really kept detailed notes, and pretty much never weighed my trim. My trim used to bring anywhere from 14-18% yield according to my buddy who was running my material, but I have never done a whole plant run. The quality I grow is fairly high and every person i've had trim for me talks about how great my bud is and how they cant trim nearly as fast as they usually do because they have to constantly scrape their scissors with my herb and most of them would want to be paid in bud not cash. I feel like if I built these rooms my quality has the potential to only go up as the rooms I used to grow in were slightly difficult to control the temp perfectly and I wasn't running Co2.

I am wondering what you guys experience for total weight per light (bud and trim) and or your return on whole plant extraction. I have looked into and am pretty set on a bottom fill model closed loop to maximize yield.

I am seeing a couple videos of people making rosin with trimmed bud on youtube and claiming 25% yields, it seems like BHO/PHO could be even higher than that if ran properly?

And while we're talking about whole plant extracts, what is the consensus on best growing techniques for concentrates? Back a while ago I remember if you were growing for concentrates you wanted to run your room a little cooler, closer to 70 than 80 and that you could harvest a little earlier before any of the trics go amber.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Last edited:

Mengsk

Not sure about yield for a plant but I have found that when I do a better job like cleaner product and not a ton of butane the yield is lower but stronger, make of that what you will. The lower yield but high recovery and potency is a good thing if that makes sense.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I separate my trim and flowers for a variety of reasons, including the ability to extract separately. With every strain having a different calyx to leaf ratio, it is difficult to say, but I would guess that trim adds about 20-25% to total weight of extract return. Something like this from a frosty single plant - 3 oz total dried flowers yields 20 grams extract with 1.5 oz of trim yielding another 6 grams. Some trim will be less than others.

WPA

BUMP! I just updated this with additional/updated information and would love any input you can give!!!

Happy New Year! I'm going to take a dab of some GMO in anticipation of all your guys' responses!

WPA

I went from getting 1.5 lbs trimmed per light to getting 560 grams of rosin per light. You'll probably do better with bho.

Oh wow, thanks for the response! Those numbers seem a bit high :)joint:) did you actually mean to type 560g of rosin per light. 1.5lbs a light isn't an insane yield, but 560 grams per light would be insane. Even at 4lbs of material (whole plant) per light would be roughly a 30% rosin yield. I was thinking an insane BHO yield is anything over 22%.

Are people hitting over 25% yield with whole-plant runs frequently? If over 30% is possible I am fucking sad for myself and the countless hours spent drying, trimming, and then letting packs go for 18-20