What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Safe growing in Spain

gmarvel

I know that that topic was discussed few times before but if you don't mind I would like to clarify few things about growing Cannabis in Spain.

I know that cultivation of Cannabis is literally illegal in Spain but it seems to me that this is the safest place for growing Cannabis nowadays.

I've been growing Cannabis for more than 10 years now, also I was studying plant phisiology and agricultaral chemistry in university, did some teaching too, and now I really want to start online courses and coaching on cannabis cultivation.

In my country you can get up to 8 years in prison just for posession and cultivating marijuana and authorities don't make it easy even if you don't sell the product. I am a discreet grower and never had any problems with law, but if I make a tutorial video on the topic, sharing my experience, I'm pretty sure I'll get busted very soon.

As far as I know growing Cannabis for personal purposes is tolerated in Spain, but I have few questions:

1. Does the region matter? I heard that Catalonia is the safest place for growers, what about other regions?

2. What is the best way to find a remote house for living and growing? I found many nice Catalonian rural houses on "habitaclia". Is it a trustwothy site? The price up to 1000$ per month is acceptable to me. All I need is a stable internet connection to earn my living.

3. Is it a good idea to tell the owner of the property of your plans? I would really like to find an owner who is tolerant to cannabis cultivation and is welcomed to check that all I do is for the research and educational purposes only.

4. How nosy are the typical neighbours? What will the do if they sense a smell? I just wonder what is a typical reaction to cannabis from a stranger in Spain?

For my purposes I need about 20-30 plants that will be grown in different systems and with different techniques. That may sound a lot for personal use so the majority of the buds will be destroyed maybe even before ripening.

5. I'm able to effectively suppress noise, light and smell in indoor growing. I'm thinking about garage or basement for these needs, but I also worry about electricity bills. Does abnormally high electricity bill can attract attention from the authorites or the owner? Do they have the right to enter the property, based on this bills?

6. Is it safe to grow outdoors, for example in the garden. I would really love to have 4 plants outside, I can make them not visible, but I worry about how they smell.

7. I'm strict to the rules and no marijuana will leave the private property, but I also want to share clones and genetics with other growers which I hope I will find there. What are the consequences if I get caught with couple clones?

I would really appreciate any answers, thank you in advance.

theiban

Growers in Spain have the same problems as in any where: police and thiefs. You can be lucky with neighboors but it is better to be really discrect.

gmarvel

Thank you, I know that there is no place on Earth where you can grow openly and feel safe. Though theives are something new for me, nobody steal plants in my country. How could the even know that something is grown in the house?

kaochiu

Veteran
I resent that line, Iban, maybe acceptable in this context, but this is the ICmag and the I stands for international. I know it's not your intention but it being a one line post it stands as a fact.
Spain is not a land of thieves, it's actually one of the safest countries in the goddamned planet as well as the most visited with its 70million plus visitors per year, some of them thieves themselves.
I know that in every village there's a band of teens on the prowl at harvest time for guerrilla'n'garden, and all through the mediterranean coast worldwide mafias are at it with their mafia battles and their 20000 plants a go, but what's that for the average folk growing indoors?
The prototype menace outside production areas is a fence jumping teenager at 3am, not a gun bearing home breaker. In spanish forums the free unrestricted and generous exchange of cuts and seeds is rife, access to the comunities easy and the express post services buoyant. Spanish laws are the same as elsewhere in Europe, plus some cultural decoration, and so is people, and so are locations. I can find a zillion things wrong with local spanish people, but actually thieving is a very un-spanish thing.
As the sister of King Juan Carlos said, "In Spain you ask for something, and you are given it". And despite not even being monarchic, i fully agree.

kaochiu

Veteran
G-Marvel, low profile is the main shield. Giving courses on cannabis growing is "apology of drugs" and it's prosecuted. There are Cannabis Clubs in virtually every city that supposedly should be about sharing knowledge, but only a tiny fraction function as cannabis clubs. Members only coffee shops more like. Also bear in mind that Spain is one of both the main exporting and consuming countries, no such thing as teaching the natives, unless you want a classroom of 14 year olds.
Most growshops sell cuts too. But then again, it doesn't help low profiles.
As for regional diversity, yes, Catalunya, Euzkadi and also Madrid seem to have the fairest approach. But for an individual, the ideal location is restricted to the inmediate surroundings, the best and worst place can be a few yards away. In areas where everyone seems to be at it, the police is not your first worry. In areas where noone grows, police is your only worry.

gmarvel

kaochiu, thank you kindly for your answer.

I won't be teaching locals about cultivation. My videos will be restructed to Russian-speaking countries. I don't think that any Spaniard will accidently find my online courses.

Russian growers community is numerous but isolated and not so developed. There is high demand even for basic stuff. Online activity may attract police attention but they won't hunt you if you grow in another country.

I also wanted to ask you an advice on how to find and join a worthy social club, which is not just a coffee shop but a common ground for tjose who are really interested in Cannabis?

gmarvel

AMDSA, Why do I even need them? I need plants for a show and can trim myself for personal needs. Buds I don't will be put to organic fertilezaers without being trimmed

kaochiu

Veteran
I'm sorry can't help you there, i'm not a member of any club. Got a younger relative who does, but he's only interested in the ones that look like coffeeshops. In Barcelona the news would be "Toker from abroad leaves without visiting a club". Other places are more restricted, but good manners opens most doors.
Still, I wouldn't recommend you joining any, at least officially, until you're well settled, or else you'd be leaving your id data behind, and that's never safe. If it's a long term plan, take your time to visit different places, make some friends, spanish toking-growing people are open and friendly outside bizz trade.
But nobody would rent a place for growing. If you ask someone who doesn't care if you grow or not, still they'll tell you no. And distrust if they say yes. Nosey landlords are always a problem, luck plays a part
Anyway, have success with it.

Minb

there is something important:

Urban Areas: Police of different kind, but Police.
You have to call their atention, or the atention of someone who reports you.
99% of the times they just want to get their salary and avoid problems

Rural Areas: Civil Guard
New neighbours will probably controled because, in general, they know the people who lives in their zone.
They have specific programs for the ending of the summer to look for plants. Mainly outdoor but also puting more atention on sites which are under their radar.

In this second context, i dont reccomend you to be shy. Just think any good reason to stay there, share it with the people and join the life in the zone. If you stay apart and you are foreigner you will be automatically targeted as a suspicious.

Anyway, both areas are relatively safe if you find the correct place and take care doing things.

Latest posts

Latest posts