What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first grow

Tri_Cho_Me

Here we are 5 weeks from seed
View Image

On the right is an unopened gallon of spring water. On the left is a donation from the fish pond.
YUM YUM for the DUMB DUMB
View Image

I gave them a well deserved drink but I forgot to PH it. Not the first mistake on this grow and we all know it wont be the last. I'm sure its gonna be low.

Will report back with level

Mistakes is how we learn! The one thing we can do is limit those mistakes. Good luck and keep on growing!

Tri_Cho_Me

daveyhouse

Yup lesson learned, it PH'ed at 8.0 (whoops)
I'm not using any fertilizers, everything they get is from Happy Frog.

Tri_Cho_Me

Yup lesson learned, it PH'ed at 8.0 (whoops)
I'm not using any fertilizers, everything they get is from Happy Frog.

I wouldnt write it off completely just yet. Maybe do some more research first. Perhaps if it's pH'd correctly it is just fine!

Tri_Cho_Me

corky1968

Veteran
Here's an idea daveyhouse,

Use the fish pond water for your plants and refill the fish pond with RO water.

This way your fish get clean water and your plants get to use the nutrient rich fish water.

Aquaponics is something that may interest you.

Aquaponics

SystemDiagram.png

daveyhouse

Yeah, I'm not stressing at all from it. I'll make sure I bring the PH down before next watering. They look like a tough couple, I think they will be fine.

I have four more seeds in the fridge if they fail. I mean if I failed them

daveyhouse

Here's an idea daveyhouse,

Use the fish pond water for your plants and refill the fish pond with RO water.

This way your fish get clean water and your plants get to use the nutrient rich fish water.

Excellent idea. I'll have to go get a 100' roll of tubing to run from RO/DI to pond

Thank you

daveyhouse

The pond has been getting refilled everytime the sprinklers come on but we turned those off a week ago since our outside flowers are all done for the year. We had the greenest and colorful yard on the block. My damn water bill was over a $100 a month

daveyhouse

Okay, gave the girls another drink of pond water today with ph at 6.5

Also replaced 5 of the 12 6500K tubes with 3000K tubes on my diy hood "indahood"

Yeah getto grow

I'm still running 18/6 on the timer though

P.S. Does anybody have a link to leaf pics for determining health of plant?

Yeah, I'm not stressing at all from it. I'll make sure I bring the PH down before next watering. They look like a tough couple, I think they will be fine.

I have four more seeds in the fridge if they fail. I mean if I failed them

Davey, check the PH of the run off when you water. Don't just adjust the PH of the water going into the soil without knowing what the run off PH is.

Bring the PH down a little and then check the run off. Adjust accordingly from there. Keep a log, of date and PH IN / OUT. How many drops of either PH UP/Down it took to adjust the water. Nutes used & amounts, and the PH of the water with nutes.

Good luck.

Last edited:

daveyhouse

Davey, check the PH of the run off when you water. Don't just adjust the PH of the water going into the soil without knowing what the run off PH is.

Bring the PH down a little and then check the run off. Adjust accordingly from there. Keep a log, of date and PH IN / OUT. How many drops of either PH UP/Down it took to adjust the water. Nutes used & amounts, and the PH of the water with nutes.

Good luck.

Thank You,
Before leaving for work i gave them a drink today with bottled sprig water ( didn't have time to adjust pond water)
Spring water ph'd at 6.5 runoff was 6.0 on plant one and a little under 6.0 on plant two.

I gotta get a more precise ph kit. Mine only reads by halfs 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, etc. etc.

I had a probe that measured ph of soil but i cannot find it, don't know how good they are though. It was one that read ph, moisture, and light. Aquired from Lowe's garden department.

Mr. Miyagi

Hey Davey...looking good... makes my think back to my first grow years ago...

I envy you and your pond lol.

I'm curious though, why you ph'ing them so high?
When I used dirt I water at around 5.8 and let it drift to 6.3 water and repeat.... just curious that's all..

Good show, subbed

daveyhouse

Thank you for your input Mr. Miyagi and every one else's for that matter.

Its all new to me, and I obviously did not do enough home work before diving into this.

Would letting it drift up help maintain the ph while passing through? Approximately how long would it take to drift say 5.8 to 6.3?

If I have enough time before work today I am going to transplant into Ocean Forest, they should be old enough to handle the hotter soil right?

Thank you everybody for the input you have given me so far :bow:

Tri_Cho_Me

Thank you for your input Mr. Miyagi and every one else's for that matter.

Its all new to me, and I obviously did not do enough home work before diving into this.

Would letting it drift up help maintain the ph while passing through? Approximately how long would it take to drift say 5.8 to 6.3?

If I have enough time before work today I am going to transplant into Ocean Forest, they should be old enough to handle the hotter soil right?

Thank you everybody for the input you have given me so far :bow:

Yep, you're fine. I started mine from seed in a mix of Ocean Forest and Happy Frog, so if my seedling can handle it, yours can as well.

Tri_Cho_Me

DanDanger

Oh, dude! Right on! Reminds me of when I started out about a year ago. Some really good advice I got from a really good grower: "Don't get jealous. Get inspired." And; "Keep it simple, stupid!"
Seriously. Keep it simple, man. You don't want to overthink things, or jump to conclusions. Adding complexity will throw a wrench into the gears. Don't over water. Your soil looked seriously damp, which you don't want to have. My watering rule of thumb: Stick a finger up to the first digit. Is it dry? Lift the pot, or cup. Is it light? If you can, stick a finger underneath. Is it dry? Then add water...
I also use regular tap water that I leave out for 48 to 72 hours. I check the pH before watering, and add a simple 'Correct pH' tablet if it's anywhere above or below 6.5. I get those tablets at Walmart in the fish section. The things work great. A half tab for a 5 gal bucket of water, after it has sat for the 72 hours. I also place an airstone in the water to get some nice bubble action going. Aerates the water, moves it around.
Roots! You also want vicious, thirsty, unquenchable roots. Roots that grow around like tentacles. The bigger the roots, the thirstier the plant. The thirstier the plant, the bigger, and stronger it will grow. Think of a hippo in a pond. It opens it's mouth and takes in gallons of water. Now think of a human in the pond. It opens it's mouth, and takes in... What? Like, a sip? You don't want your roots to just sip water like a gangsta on the street sipping Lean. You want those roots gulping down water like that hippo over there.
Lights! You want short plants, keep those T5's near the plants. Like, about 2 or 5 inches above the leaves. They'll be fine if you have airflow... I'll get to that after... If you want stretched plants, you will want the lights further away.
Airflow! Get a nice oscillating fan to blow air around the area. Get an intake, and an exhaust expelling the old air, and an intake to bring in the fresh.
Watch that relative humidity (RH) and the temp. If they fluctuate, you're gonna see some weird shit going on with the leaves. Keep that RH at 50 to 65. And your temp at 75 to 85 degrees F.
Ditch the DI water. Fuck that. You're gonna end up with leaves yellowing from the bottom up as it strips nutrients from the roots. Don't touch the fish water, leave it where it is. What else could be in it, eh? You don't wanna mess with anything you don't anything about. Use the tap water left out for a few days. Bubble it. pH tablet. And you're ready to go. Keep the water warmish, too. At around 75 to 85. You'll notice the plants get droopy when the water is cold, and they droop when they've been overwatered. You'll also see the new growth coming in more lime green coloured. This is usually due to overwatering.
Keep it simple! And don't get jealous. Get inspired. Pure and simple, brother. You got this.

daveyhouse

Words to grow by, thank you DAN

I think all my were were taken after watering hence the dark soil.

Just had to order an exhaust fan. Wife said either the smell goes or the plants go :( :spank:

As soon as you open the basement door you smashed in the face like someone just opened a bag in front of you. I like it but she don't :dueling:

Happy wife, happy life. I'll tuck tail and try to fix it

DanDanger

Need a hand? I've been playing with different methods to keep the smell down...

Method one: Incense. Not just any incense, okay? I find that a kind called "Nag Champa" or "Super Hit" covers the smell during veg when things get sweaty or stinky at night. You're gonna find they are going to smell the most when the lights are off. You can light an incense downstairs, it can last for hours after it goes out. Keep repeating until your house smells like that of a head shop ;)

Method two: Careful with this one, you can compromise the smell of your plants themselves... ONA Gel. It can work in a pinch. I've heard. Only have heard mixed results from people in regard to ONA Gel. A friend of mine who owns a dispensary keeps a tub of it by the door. Just out of respect for the neighbours. It comes in a couple acrid scents. Again, I've only ever heard of this stuff. And do plan on using it for this upcoming harvest.

Method threeeee: A good old carbon filter, and can fan deal. It's like a booster fan for vents, with the carbon scrubber right there in the room, pulling air through, and venting it out of the enclosure. It's what I plan on using. I've found that putting it in with 3 to 5 weeks before harvest worked best upon asking around.

Method four: Essential oil diffusers. Eucalyptus, peppermint, grapefruit, citrus. They seem to help out around the house for me.

I'm a totally new grower. Starting out almost a year ago, this is my first summer inside ;) Fighting the heat, humidity, and other stuff. Playing mother nature is rough. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't. I also use T5 bulbs, man! And I've had 2 really good harvests so far. Be patient, keep it simple, and take baby steps. You don't wanna overwhelm yourself. Sometimes the easiest fixes are meant for what seems like the hardest of problems. Go grab yourself some of that stanky incense, light it up, and carry on for now.

I'm posted up watching this thread, man. New growers unite! :)

DanDanger

I can't see it. I'm a Canuck, eh? We can't see the amazon.com. Unless we have some kind of blocker thingy. I don't know! I'm not that tech savvy.

But that should work. If you can get a good seal on it, that should work perfectly. Keep trying other methods until then. I'm in the same boat, too. My wife doesn't want to smell it, neither do the inlaws. They don't know. So I had to keep lying last time.

daveyhouse

I can't see it. I'm a Canuck, eh? We can't see the amazon.com. Unless we have some kind of blocker thingy. I don't know! I'm not that tech savvy.

But that should work. If you can get a good seal on it, that should work perfectly. Keep trying other methods until then. I'm in the same boat, too. My wife doesn't want to smell it, neither do the inlaws. They don't know. So I had to keep lying last time.

Oh sorry how about this

picture.php

Urban Farmer 200 CFM 4" Inch Inline Ventilation Duct Fan

It will be here tomorrow. Gotta love Amazon Prime

Mr. Miyagi

Words to grow by, thank you DAN

I think all my were were taken after watering hence the dark soil.

Just had to order an exhaust fan. Wife said either the smell goes or the plants go :( :spank:

As soon as you open the basement door you smashed in the face like someone just opened a bag in front of you. I like it but she don't :dueling:

Happy wife, happy life. I'll tuck tail and try to fix it

LMFAO!!!

I know that ALL too well... I just read out loud to her...she laughed:biggrin:

Damn, 4" fan for $30? Nice score.

I would seriously consider an air filter then...not sure where you live, but still... Ona works fairly well... the sprayers are better than the gel to me, but as an additional odor control, not a sole thing.... BUT, you could get a tub of Ona gel an put inline of the chimney, that way the smell is altered before it exits.

OR you could get a Corona discharge Ozone generator...they're fairly cheap too... I think I got mine for like $25, granted this was years ago.

Regarding your ph, back in my dirt days, it took I think a day or 2 for the ph swing... high nute doses will alter the ph.. can't remember which NPK does what, but I believe the only one that raises the ph is K. Once your nutes are used in the soil, it should climb on it's own due to absorption...

Latest posts

Latest posts