What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first grow, i.e. a crazy crash course on cannabis cultivation

GREEEEEEEN!

GREEEEEEEN!

That's better! Looks like some light burn? This Cookies Kush seems to prefer lower temperatures... and by prefer I mean demand... Haha! I actually think this happened due to the old batch of DIY CO2 running out. From my research, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but when a plant is enriched with CO2, assuming the light intensity is there, temperature MUST rise in order to accommodate this rate of photosynthesis. I think it has to do with rate of transpiration leading to dehydration leading to increased water/nutrient uptake to fuel the photosynthesis rate demanded by the intense light source. Watching these plants react to changing conditions has really taught me a lot more than books. But I am INCREDIBLY grateful to have that foundation of knowledge and resources. Anyway, on to more pictures!

Looks to me like she wants to be cooled down a bit. Perhaps more frequent waterings? She is in a 2 gal. smart pot, and is one of the larger plants, so maybe... probably.

Lets jump back to our favorite little JChem. Here is some older growth. Note my burned tips and signs of [what my untrained eye guesses is] potassium and phosphorus lock-out. Regardless of the hard times of the past, I believe the girls are right on track again!

Here is what is currently the top of JChem. The true top is currently bent over below. I think she's healthy again!

Here is a closer shot of JChem. You can see her starting to even out... Look closely for my indicator to release the tops again. Can you guess which?

Some normal shots of some interesting leaves :p

Some normal shots of some interesting leaves :p

This is the little one I'm waiting to poke through the top of the canopy. Once it does it will be time to release the top clusters again for an even bush/tree. I hope!

A shot of our main stems on the Ak-47. I believe we have four strong colas going on this one... and knowing me... I'll probably be tempted to train her again tomorrow. I love seeing them bust out new bud sites left and right.

Then as I was leaving the garden I noticed this strange misshapen leaf on Grandaddy OG. It was smashed up under another leaf and it was kind of growing itself into the other, splitting the first in half. Actually it was more like a forced split, or ripping one's jeans... Anyway, it must not have been getting enough light, all pale like that.

Closer shot of above leaf.

I'm loving the documenting process and your feedback whenever its offered! Thank you for all your time and wisdom! Good night!

-Kweko

These are my measurements after opening the door once I woke up. 788ppm CO2, 77.9°, 71%rh. [1] 240wLED & [14] 23wCFLs.

Did some more training with Ak-47 while I was draining the tray this morning. Can't resist directing branches. She's gonna be a bush by the time I'm done with her!

Here are my readings from after addin a second light during door open time, just before closing the door for the afternoon. I'll check back in about 2hrs. from now to see change in ambient levels now with [2] LEDs in place. 801ppm CO2, 76.4°, 58%rh. After I do some more lollipoping the rh% should be optimal. Currently [2] 240wLEDs & [7] 23wCFLs.

Cheers!
-Kweku Ananse

Oh! I should also mention that I talked to Black Dog LED and they got glasses in the mail, scheduled for Tuesday delivery, and return labels for the two LEDs that had issues. I'll send them back tomorrow and I'll let you know the turn around time.

Customer service 8/10 :thumb:

-Kweku

Upload pictures?

Upload pictures?

Hey anyone know how I can upload more pics? I have only 60 uploaded in one album, and now I'm stuck. Do I have to delete some? Or can I increase my server space?

Thanks!!!
-K. Ananse

N

NoSocSlic

Plants are lookin nice! I like your setup. I'll sub in to see how well your LED's do. Looks great so far.

Plants are lookin nice! I like your setup. I'll sub in to see how well your LED's do. Looks great so far.

Thanks so much! It's really good to get encouragement. I think I've sorted out everything I need to keep them on a schedule they need and nutrient levels they can handle. I'll be posting more pictures tomorrow of the advancements we've made with training, showing the final pieces in place for full timer controlled flood and passive draining, as well as a bit of a surprise...!

Stay tuned!
-KA

Officially a member! I can now upload more PHOTOOOOOS!!!

Officially a member! I can now upload more PHOTOOOOOS!!!

Hey guys! Did some training on all the plants a la Ak-47 above, and have since "untied" in preparation for grabbing a few new clones for future mothers, and then the one week remaining until we start flowering on 4/20. Oh yeah! Perfect timing. Check it out.

Here are the final training poses for my girls, held them in this position for about 4-5 days (much longer for the plants held by the wooden ScroG cages).

Here is a leaf on Ak which I am holding in its pre-BDL position...

...and here it is after 12 hrs under the Black Dog LEDs. Notice how the leaflets can't wait for the stem to catch up, and have started flipping individually like stairs to the SUN!

A nasty leaf on Grandaddy OG. Input?

A nasty leaf on Cookies Kush. Heat/light burn?

During my "release" of the girls from their L-to-M-S-T, I pulled of the few bad leaves I could find. Probably 1-4 per plant, with the exception of Cookies Kush, which is a very bushy girl.

A good example of BChem's leaf damage from previous overdosing/lockout. Is this something to be concerned about? The damage hasn't been spreading at all, so I've considered the ailment resolved.

JChem is a much healthier plant, tho she also was a little burned I think...

Charlie Cooper...

Ak-47

Mendo Purps is probably one of the healthiest of my plants, damage here was caused by me cramming too much foliage into one "square" on my wooden ScroG cage. Don't even think this one got burned... maybe very little...

Cookies Kush.

Purple Berry.

The now "released" canopy.

Now, I realize growing ebb and flood with this variety of strains is bound to cause a variety of deficiencies/lockouts at any (and every) moment. This is described in the opening post of this thread as to why I have such a wide bandwidth of genetics being treated in one manner when they all need something specific. We have already started our next grow in the second tent. I will be beginning a grow log for a 16 plant 4'x4' tent using Blumats. Keep an eye out.

Updates to the ebb and flow include full automation with a timer and high power pump!!! Wooo!

Here is the reservoir. It has two tubes per corner of the lid, each line connected to its own emergency overflow drain along the corners of the flood tray above. My reservoir cannot hold enough water to reach these drains, so its all good regardless. Those drains are completely ineffective at the current 15~17 gal. reservoir size. In this front left corner of the lid there is a third tube. This is connected to a 178gph pump in the back right corner of the reservoir. it carries water up and over the lid, shooting it back down into the water below. This jet/waterfall has an oxygenating effect. I also have installed an aquarium air pump to keep things fizzy. I used a very long one from the pet store, and it basically creates a curtain of bubbles. All circulating water has to go through this curtain and is thus assumed to be very well oxygenated. The smaller pump shoots its jet directly at the intake of the main delivery pump. The main delivery pump is something close to 600gph, and exits the reservoir through a large hole in the lid (not pictured here).

Here you can see the two transparent emergency drain tubes, secured with silicon caulk, and the larger black delivery tube.

Delivery tube.

Drain holes.

Cut a hole in the wooden support to allow the tray to drip straight down through the hole in the reservoir. Both power cords for the pumps, the main delivery hose, my EC/TEMP probe and pH probe leads are through this drain/catch hole.

5.9pH

0.7EC

72º water temp.

DIY CO2 x2!!!

Here you can see the tubes directed to the middle front, and middle center plants. Taped to wooden stakes plunged into the coco at a height just above the canopy.

Closer shot of the center tube.

Taped my CO2/TEMP/RH to the corner pole at canopy height. I think I was getting +++ %rh levels because the hygrometer was sitting on the fabric smart pot, influencing the reading. Also, the thermometer being under the canopy was giving - - - º levels as well... Current readings are 890ppm CO2, 78.3º, 50% rh.

One more picture for the night. Glad to be an official member. I can have a signature now. I can have my choice of avatar, although I may just leave it as Nibler from Futurama... LOL!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
-Kweku Ananse

You can see the blue air pump sitting in front of the fan, and the meter taped to the tentpole. I think tomorrow I'll start the diary for tent two... MENDO PURPS SOG!!! Peace. :tiphat:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Looking real good. Really wanna see what your chem 91' s look like when the flower. The reason being I was told the other day that dispo's prolly don't have the real chem 91'. I hope they were wrong and what you have is legit. But prolly not. Do you have any info from where you got it? Prolly came from apothecary or cali connect.

Looking real good. Really wanna see what your chem 91' s look like when the flower. The reason being I was told the other day that dispo's prolly don't have the real chem 91'. I hope they were wrong and what you have is legit. But prolly not. Do you have any info from where you got it? Prolly came from apothecary or cali connect.

No, but maybe I can find out. Have any more info as to this "fake" Chemdawg '91?