What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first grow, i.e. a crazy crash course on cannabis cultivation

Hey there everyone!

Really looking forward to become part of the community! I've been learning a lot during my first grow, especially by reading forums like the one here at icmag.com. I've realized there is a lot of knowledge in this community and can't wait to learn all I can, and to contribute what I've learned to the next generations! I am at your mercy.

First let me start on the story of how I became a medical marijuana grower.

One day my roommate was feeling down, had just lost his job or something, can't recall. My girlfriend had recently gotten her medical card, as did my roommate, so she brought him home a plant to grow.
A little Grandaddy OG clone from the dispensary down the street. She sat in the window, getting sun for most of the day. Otherwise she sat in the living room incandescents until we got an 8 x 2ft T5 fixture, 192w.

With summer approaching, and some kind of subliminal urging vibrations emanating from the clones behind the counter, she couldn't help herself from picking up a few more varieties.

Currently we have [2] Chemdawg '91, an Ak-47, one Cookies Kush, the aforementioned G. OG, one plant of Mendo Purps (and another to be cut up into clones once more lighting arrives - really excited about the Black Dog LED's hitting my doorstep this week :woohoo: ), something called Charlie Cooper - let me know if you have any information on this strain, my search has resulted in nothing - and a lone Purple Berry.

Besides the Purple Berry being put into a plastic pot, the others were put into fabric SmartPots, either 2gal, or 5gal. The Chemdawg '91, Mendo Purps, and Charlie Cooper are all in 5gal, the rest, including a now transplanted Purple Berry, are in the 2gal. The original "plan" with the first one or two plants was to treat them differently without much direction, and experiment with differing "[growing] methods." We have an approximate 50/50 soil-coco mix, and have been overdosed and flushed about three times. I think I finally understand the significance of EASING in the nutrient regiment. LOL! I ended up researching a lot, due to this overwhelming drive to preserve these plants, and the interest and investment of the others pales in comparison to mine, thus I have become the gardener.

I am researching in books by Ed Rosenthal, Jorge Cervantez, and Greg Green. All are very informative and useful in their own ways, but I need a real life thread to learn this art. I'll try to sum up the first month Ive had with these plants.

Once all the plants were transplanted and ready to go under the T5 fixture, I learned more light was needed in the 3x3 closet to truly utilize the rest of the requirements (water, co2, etc.). I added in [14] 23w CFLs in bowl reflectors, which pushed my temps up to ~81.5º. At this point the SmartPots sat on saucers, and I admittedly was watering them too much, and the water would be in the roots for much longer than 20min.... I am ashamed. Yet my only excuse was naïveté, which I have since amended and improved. Now the plants sit on a flood tray inside a 4x4 grow tent under the T5 and 14 CFLs. Before this transition, I learned first hand just what a spider mite was, and what it can do. I caught them way early, found maybe 20 live crawlers, and 50-60 eggs. I did a week of SM-90, 3day treatments and have added it to the reservoir, 5ml/gal, with DripClean, 1ml/gal. They seem to have been eliminated. I plan on instituting a weekly SM-90 foliar treatment. I like the transpiration kick it gives.

I did some [not-so-]LST with them, broke a few branches when the spider mites had sucked all the juices out, leaving brittle plants, and like I mentioned before, I burned them a couple times with my lack of understanding of the extreme sensitivity they exhibit at the beginning of the fertilizer start. I have been 'soft' flushing them with a 250ppm (700 Truncheon scale) CalMag 2-0-0 by Botanicare, since my water comes out of the tap at 40ppm. So this is a buffer, and a bit of micronutrient additive, since I'm growing as if my mix were pure coco. Which it isn't. Which has probably been really messing with me this whole time. As well as different sized containers, different strains being treated the same, in the same tray, on the same nutrient regiment, etc. I know all these things will get better (dialed in) when I've got everything consistent to the clone.

Anyway, I've been giving this water from the top, to dissolve any salts that may be locked up in there, since I plan to start feeding from the bottom in an ebb and flow system. I've been collecting this water, and have added ~500ppm Canna Coco A/B Nutrients/Cannazym/Rhizotonic. I've been recirculating this, after re-pH to 6.2. In my previous flushes, I noticed quite the rise in pH from when I put the water in, to when it came out the bottom. It would appear I have finally "balanced" my water/nutrient pH, with the pH of the coco/soil mix. I feel like I'm ready to add a pump into the equation and monitor pH a couple times daily, with a weekly refresh of water and nutrients. I've been flooding the tray to about 1.5", slowly increasing my volume of flood water with the daily 'soft' flush, which is also subtly lowering ppm of the reservoir over time, the same way adding make-up volume would. I'm just slowly reaching the proper flood height of coco, as recommended by Ed, 3" up a 10" tall pot. I have emergency flood tubing in case the pump fails to shut off, or the other drain gets plugged, I check on the plants regularly, so this would be a short term problem with no long term health risks as long as I get there before the roots drown. At least I won't have a mess on top of it.

This sits on a wood frame over a plastic reservoir. I plan to put an airstone in the reservoir, in the event that the drains fail, and the plants sit in water, at least it would be well oxygenated, essentially turning my ebb and flow into a momentary NFT! LOL! The pump on a timer, which would deliver water at just the proper calculated time based on drying/transpiration, etc.

I believe everything has been summed up, so to speak, and a few shots of the grow space will be added at the end of this post. I will add more detailed photos of each plant in subsequent posts. Please offer any advice you can give! I want to become a master grower and breeder, and I'll never get there acting like a know-it-all. Please, your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

-Kweku

In the photo above you can see the entire tent system, stand, tray, plants, lights and fan. The tent is wide open because the humidity is too high when the evening temperature drops.

Here you can see the system's undercarriage. At the moment I have a pail to grab runoff water, since I'm not quite ready to recirculate. Things I still need: airstone & aquarium heater. Pretty sure my root temps are too cold considering my current canopy temps are between 70-73º. water is probably close to 60º. Note to self: measure reservoir temperature.

These are the CFLs, they only hold to the ceiling, otherwise they would be closer. Currently brainstorming some kind of 'scaffolding' for side lighting/air circulation.

A good overall canopy shot. Want to start flowering soon. :)

Chemdawg '91 with some vegScroG.

Chemdawg '91 with some vegSuperCropping, then being untied.

Ak-47

Mendo Purps with some vegScroG, soon to be untied. :)

Purple Berry in the middle. This plant has gone through hell and high water, literally. First being the choice of curious cats chewing, being drowned by blocked drain holes in plastic pot, being burnt a couple times and spider mite problems, as well as just straight up cracking from training during dry conditions (oops! I've learned!), its amazing she's still with me. I have grown to love this plant dearly. I hope she pulls through in the end.

One final shot of the canopy. Love these ladies. Peace...

Man... that is some fantastic looking growth... G1

Thanks for the kind words! Though when I get some more pics up, you might start to think it kind of shoddy growth, what with my pH, nutrient levels, spider mites and temperature fluctuation...

But thanks for the encouragement! I probably am too harsh a self critic.

Also I will be getting Blumats instead of running ebb and flow, eventually. These things make sense. :) and 100% analog! My favorite!

-Kweku

Here is a picture of the original setup, basically the point at which I told my girlfriend to stop bringing plants home! Everyone was in the lets grow some plants mindset. I started calculating, realizing a calling to cultivate these plants to their maximum potential. As you can see there was another plant in there once upon a time. A second Grandaddy OG. For whatever reason it stunted. Most likely from over watering/ lack of drainage/ root rot. It has since been removed and it waiting to die, but it's easy to let her go.

One of my unexpected visitors. Haven't seen one of these bitches in over a week! Hooray! Fkkkkng spider mites...

waveguide

Veteran
looking good!

i mostly kinda figure, plants need light water air et c., it's people who sell profucts i mean products need customers who believe good harvests need their stuff :p

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
good show - welcome to the ICMAG !
keep up the good work and keep learning your stuff.
and yeah , dont bring in any more clones - if you do , quarantine them two weeks and treat them in that time as if they had every bug n the book.

looking good!

i mostly kinda figure, plants need light water air et c., it's people who sell profucts i mean products need customers who believe good harvests need their stuff :p

What exactly do you mean by this? Are you suggesting that a [certain] product I'm using is redundant? If so, which one(s)? I'm looking for all the constructive criticism I can get! :)

-Kweku

good show - welcome to the ICMAG !
keep up the good work and keep learning your stuff.
and yeah , dont bring in any more clones - if you do , quarantine them two weeks and treat them in that time as if they had every bug n the book.

Indeed! My thoughts exactly! We have one more mendo purp acting as a mother... Just received word my second tent is in, so I'll be off to pick that up today, set it up and wait for my lighting to arrive tomorrow! :)

Then we will clone some of the current ladies for future runs, as well as chop that momma we have now to populate the second tent. Ideally I want a third tent, perhaps a 2x4, for mothers, clone dome and early veg.

Also I believe a good pest treatment when a new plant comes in, and also one as its rooting (high humidity of clone dome slowing most parasitic insect reproduction/movement/growth), would be great as long as foliar waterings were sufficient to prevent root stress from the added transpiration of some of these foliar sprays.

I'll be creating a grow diary once I have most of the equipment needed ;)

Thanks again for the encouragement!
-Kweku

Okay I'm sitting in the living room waiting for the leds to arrive, marked as out for delivery. I promise to send some more pictures of the ladies once the second tent it up, and the led integration has begun.

I wanted to ask, since I've been reading about pot size and Blumats in coco, I actually haven't found anything information mutual of both topics...

I'm trying to decide between 2 gal. and 3 gal. smart pots. I will be using Blumats, one sensor per plant, with three drip emitters per. Now on the Blumats front, my research has pointed me to these conclusions:

1. One Blumat works very well in a 2 gal. smart pot, and also in a 3 gal., but do to the larger size of the 3 gal., they require [2 Blumats] per. I do not know if this has been tested using a single drip emitter (classic, or "stock" Blumat), or with multiple emitters. I would imagine that the anecdotes I allude to were referring to the issue with the Blumat not delivering sufficient quantity of nutrient solution to an effective surface area of root mass, thus ensuring thier prescription of a second Blumat. I believe this concern would be alleviated by the additional drip emitters, but my research on this inquiry has turned up nothing. The posts I've read are from a while ago and on other forums for that matter. So I ask here if anyone can comment on this. Is one Blumat sensor with three emitters in a 3 gal. smart pot as effective as this exact system in a 2 gal. pot?

2. Another thing with plant size vs. pot size, I couldn't find a discussion on this application and how a constant drip system, essentially treating the coco as hydro medium, and feeding at very low nutrient levels, which produces explosive growth, is effected by smart pot size. Most discussion on smart pot size had to do with soil or one plant grows. The most conclusive debate I could find on coco + smart pot size was, if you want to water less frequently at higher ppm, use a larger pot. People argued that smaller pots, again 2 gal. being the most popular, dried out more frequently, allowing some oxygen into the root mass. Another difficulty was correcting the "effect" of people's perceived growth in 2 gal. smart pots in a hand watered fashion, ensuring the plants' pet mammal was nearby for some added respiration. Too many uncontrolled variables. Though thoughts of osmotic pressure come to mind in terms of virtual "organism" that is the subterranean root mass. in terms of microscopic single cells organisms, their cell membrane allows for transfer of things the cell needs into itself, and wastes out of itself to the surrounding environment. The reason they are microscopic and we don't have giant blob amoebas slugging aroubd is their skin can't keep up with the demand of equalizing the [stuff] inside and outside. The volume of a cell increases exponentially compared to the increase in surface area. As the cell functions and creates waste, it can't get rid of it fast enough, and on top of that its jamming all lanes of incoming traffic... Apply this to smart pots, the lack of oxygen due to holding more water in a larger pot vs. the lower surface area (in relation to volume increase) available to be used for oxygen intake. This could then be bypassed by adding oxygen to the reservoir, bringing me almost full circle to the almost overwhelmingly easy decision to use the God Damn 2 gal. and stop with all the headaches. LOL! But the bottom line is logic points me toward - and even though people have done side by side comparisons with the smart pots of different sizes in coco hand watered grows which have essentially negated this - bigger roots, bigger fruits. Soil growers seem to follow this rhyme as if a psalm, and hydro growers prove them wrong in coco all the time. I believe this is contingent on my "amoeba" theory, that when a plant is supplied with a steady nutrient drip, the 2 gal. could very we'll have an upper hand due to its higher surface area to volume ratio. But without an oxygenated control to eliminate this variable, my one remaining question remains, and perhaps this question could be answered by a NFT grower or someone who uses Blumats with droppers, Would a plant hypothetically grow healthier if it had the same ratio of roots to available resources ratio (e.g. 1 gal. smart pot with [1] Blumat feeding it) but was alternatively in a larger pot (e.g. 3 gal. smart pot with [3] Blumats feeding it?

Any help would be nice in this regard... I think 3 gal. smart pots would be the sweet spot that people could be missing if they aren't getting as much relative amounts of oxygen due to the longer time the larger container holds water.

Now that we're on the same page, as far as theories are concerned, my intended setup should help you in making any real world recommendations. And for that I thank you profusely in advance. I'm leaving no stone unturned in this learning and planning phase. I'm sure you couldn't tell. ;)

4x4 grow tents, flower in 1 gal.? 2 gal.? 3 gal.? smart pots, transplant as needed during 6-8 week veg, depending on availability of flower room, [9] plants in a 3x3 formation under [4] Black Dog LED 240w jawnz, for a total of 9 - doorbell just rang!!! Yep. They just arrived. :) - ehem... Where was I? Oh yeah. 960w of LED power. :) We gonna crush. So considering the light intensity, we will be supplementing with CO2, and hopefully pulling 2+lbs. per 4x4 once I get the hang of this and get my strains all dialed in. I think we are gonna have MONSTERS in here if I veg 6-8 weeks under these LEDs, some of you may say 3 gal. is too big... Some may say 9 plants would be too many... I wanna hear it. I'm almost set on my plan here. Last piece of the puzzle is the god damn container size. LOL!

Help greatly appreciated. Refer to my two main points above, each with its own question. Thanks!

-Kweku

For what it's worth Id rather have the plants fighting for canopy, with me training them to get along. I love the challenges of training. The exercise of foresight. I am fairly certain nine plants is what I want to go for, and grow them huuuuge. 2 gal.? 3 gal.? LOL! The horror!!!

Thanks again!

Pics of new setup to come shortly. :)

-Kweku

The Black Dog LEDs make themselves known with a creeping rainbow disco going on inside the closet! Two arrived with issues... and they didn't include the Method Seven glasses they promised when I called and specifically asked if my $3200+ order qualified for a freebie of the spectrum compensating glasses... which as soon as I turned the lights on I realized that I NEED THEM!!! Wow. Bright is only a word... They said that OF COURSE! "I'm making a note on your order now to throw in three pair!" Of course the people trying to make money conveniently forgot to give me free garb. But since one unit has a loose component and rattles, and another had a screw just floating around in the plastic bag that it was shipped in... I didn't even plug it in, I'll send it back to them just for them to peel off the "Warranty Void if Removed" sticker, replace this component and a new sticker, and send it back to me. Shouldn't have rushed the backorder. Especially if you forgot to include the promised glasses. Needless to say the crew in Boulder will be getting a phone call from me tomorrow. Luckily I still need to assemble the second grow area (including rooting clones and transplanting in two weeks) so this delay isn't a huge deal... I just hate companies' attitude of who cares, we sell shit, so people will buy it... Where is the integrity? Can't even deliver six units in *NEW* condition. Bleah... I digress...

Upon opening the door you can see my 4x4 closet tent, now emanating a purple/white/blue glow. Replaced the T5 with the BD240-U, gonna continue swapping out LED fixtures with my CFLs to prevent light shock, ease them into the new level of intensity.

My girl's version of their first flatscreen. Blowin' their minds! I can already tell they love the new spectrum! LOL! (Oh how I love expectation bias!)

Here you can see past the closet to a little sitting area which is now the new home of the second 4x4 tent!

This will be the new home of the T5, and you can see a clone/seedling humidity dome waiting to be filled. Tomorrow. Forgot to set aside extra de-chlorinated water, got about 12hrs left to wait. Looking into dechlor-and dechloriminating via ascorbic acid. My water is very soft, 40ppm (700/Truncheon) and comes out of the tap somewhere between 8.0-8.2pH. So using this acid to neutralize chlorine and/or chloramine would put me closer to my ~6pH target. Anyone using this method? I'm tired of gassing off... having to wait 24hrs just cause you forgot to keep a spare gallon... Sheesh...

I apologize too, I've noticed guys on this site like to use EC. I'll use those numbers from now on... or you can just divide mine by 700. :p

NEW pictures!

NEW pictures!

Couldn't resist taking a few more shots as I just stared at that room. My eyes hurt. I am seriously gonna have to ask them really nicely to please send me some glasses they promised. Wowza bright!

The current low-key CO2 delivery system. Some yeast with some baking soda and sugar I think... Not sure - my roommate made it. But it does give off a higher concentration of CO2 than our household air. In the short hours of having that light in place, with the spectrum focus and wattage increase, transpiration has increased a bit, reminding my to do some lollipopping soon. Plants ate up the CO2 in that closet before the DIY CO2 started bubbling, now they fluctuate between 700s-900s depending on water availability. So good things yes? I hope so!

Here you can see the delivery tube taped to a stake held in the medium of the righthand Chemdawg '91. Lets just refer (no pun intended) to this plant as JChem, and the lefthand vegScroG'ed Chemdawg '91 as BChem.I can only hope that my oscillating fan and fixed position tube are effectively distributing the CO2 to [most] of the canopy. Fingers crossed!

Here is my CO2 meter. No idea if its calibrated properly. Took it outside and set it to whatever the current Needle CO2 reading was, minus ~25ppm for not being that close to all the traffic etc. Really convenient to be able to access that kind of data in realtime for the city I live in. Thanks City. The reading was slightly higher than averages, I was in there a while gawking and taking pictures... and you can see my rh% a bit high, my temps a bit low... When I leave the room and close the door, the temp goes up to about 75º and rh% rises slightly due to transpiration. Note to self: Time for some lollipopping! Re: My Last Note to Self, I measured the water temperature, 68º. Good temperature to be adding to such an environment? I don't have a moisture/soil thermometer, but intend to get one. Any suggestions for a decent scientific instrument to accurately provide me with this data? Please advise!

Here at the bottom, center of the frame is the BChem, the vegScroG'ed Chemdawg '91. Underneath its cage of sticks sits the CO2 meter/thermometer/hygrometer, so you can take that into account when analyzing the readings of that little desktop device. Rh% is probably reading slightly higher than ambient levels due to proximity of leaf stomata...just a guess...as well as temperature being slightly cooler in the shade below this ScroG'ed canopy. The main purpose of that meter is to tell me CO2 levels, and I figure just below the canopy is the best place to measure. Above it on the corner pole you can see my array of CFL fixture cords. SO READY to be rid of this mess, just one cord per LED to deal with. Noice!

Here is the Black Dog LED amidst the remaining CFLs. The original wattage layout was as follows:

192w (8x2ft.24wH.O.T5)
322w (14x23wCFL)
- Total 514w (32.125w/sqft.)

Replaced the T5 with a single BD240-U.

240w (LED)
322w (14x23wCFL)
- Total 562w (35.125w/sqft.)

Planning on replacing 7 CFLs with another Black Dog tomorrow afternoon ~ 12 hours after the first switch was made.

480w (2xLED)
161w (7x23wCFL)
- Total 641w (40.0625/sqft.)

Then in another ~12 hours replace the remaining 7 CFLs for a third Black Dog.

720w (3xLED)
- Total 720w (45w/sqft.)

Think this is an easy enough transition? Should I wait longer between each LED addition? Let me know! You are the masters, I am the student.

-Kweku Ananse

More Pictures! Let me introduce you to a few of the girls!

More Pictures! Let me introduce you to a few of the girls!

This plant just begs me to keep training it. Each time I do, she fills in with more flower sites. I just try to keep them all the same height, relative to the light. We call this one JChem.

Here she is from above, looking topped, but I assure you...

The top is just doing the LIMBO! Had to do this again because the first training I did created the monster cluster pictured below!

So this looks really dense! I'm excited to see what comes of them. When I wake in the morning I'm sure I'll be greeted by tiny little new growth standing up, poking through the clusters of little weed party animals doing a group LIMBOOO!!! LOL!

Here is a Cookies Kush with some... wait a minute...