What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

South African Strains

Rinse

Veteran
Yo people thought I'd start this thread to learn more about S.African strains.
Reason bein' Im looking for an early sativa for outdoors and Iv always known African weed to be my favourite wether imported brick or my homegrown (uk) attempts.

So far Im looking at Lesotho, Durban/Transkei, and Ciskei.

Hoping to get a discussion goin with pics.

Rinse

Veteran
Ive just found a tresure chest of info hidden in (C:) drive :)

This was written by Derrayld back from the OG forums.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Derrayld:

[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]"I live and grow in a Coastel stretch called the Wild Coast where you will find Durban and the Transkei, 2 major growing regions in South Africa and the World.
So I am exposed to many different variaties of DP, Swazi, Kei, Malawi, Lesotho, etc.

Here is a simple run down of a few and best growing conditions:

The flowering times are generally longer and the plants will like their space more than a hybradised skunk for example which will grow smaller.
The highs all tend to be smooth, euphoric, crasy highs.
Bright colours, very enjoyeable.

Swazi-
tends to be a chunky bud or a long slender bud.
With big thick resinous buds ala Hashplant.
This bud grows with an unmistakeable hashy consistency and a deep hashy odour.
I`ve grown swazi that looks, tastes and smokes different.
You get your chunky orange buds, your dark green sticky buds, etc.
All good and all an awesome stoning.
I find swazi to be more of a cerebral couch lock while still being sativa.
Almost more of a concentration herb.
Swazi generally grows in a nice bush, short stocky but can become big and fat.
Varies between Long slender buds and short chunky nuggets ala Northern lights.
Swazi SKunk, Swazi red, Swazi, etc.

Durban Poison-
I find grows in different forms as well from a big-headed variaty to my
favorite being a small headed strain that litterally makes you dizzy you`re so high, this is the one used to make the famous suger-sticks.
The well spoken about aniceed(sp) flavour persists with any DP variaty.
This year I`ve been working with a rare DP that grows with pink hairs rather than white.
Interesting strain.
Always leaves you feeling soo happy.
The Durban I have grown is generally alot longer flowering than the advertised DP from seedbanks wihich has SK#1 to help it along.

Transkei & Lesotho-
Lesotho Mountains are also in the Eastern Cape.
Transkei is also in the eastern cape.
Lesotho and Transkei buds are awesome, both with a strong fruity aroma and taste with a serious stoning.
Varying between cerebral high and downright silent stoning.

The thing with the Transkei is that you can walk in the hills from village to village and hut to hut and in each hut you`ll most likely experience vastly different bud.

You can however identify a few generally superior strains.
Cofee Bay, being a dark green , red haired bud.
With a soft smokey smell and a lovely guava after taste.
Delivers one of the most intense stonings I`ve ever had.
I had to lie on the floor because I kept falling off the chair.
I couldn`t even sit on the floor because I kept falling over.

Undumbi between coffee bay and port st johns will be where you`ll find the largest variaty of bud anywhere.
I`ve walked in fields of purple and yellow and then gone a minute down a hill and walked in a field of nothing but sticky lime green buds with the odd Thick Swazi plant thrown in.
Undumbi I find is a very fruity taste, very sticky and a lovely light green colour.
Also one of my favorites more for sheer enjoyment of smoke than the actual high.
I personally will not always grow the strongest herb but will grow a particular herb if it stands out to me.
I find Undumbi normally will grow with some seriously resinous sticky buds that are just too good and tasty to ignore.

Then comes Port St Johns between Durban and Undumbi Area.
This will either be a cross between Kei and DP or straight DP genetics.
The differences are easy to note with DP having a smaller , typical sativa style leaf.
The transkei being a larger leaf with thinner leaf patterns.
The Bud can vary between Large sticky buds to your perfect smaller DP that is quite honestly scary sometimes.
The kind of herb that makes you dizzy or go blind for a few secs.
We grew a christmas tree Pt St Johns that smelt and tasted of Ice cream.

Malawi -
Most Malawi is still to this day found in cobs which is the malawi heads wrapped in a Mealie leaf and cured like this.
Awesome stoning, very cerebral while incredibly powerful at the same time.
A trait of many SA strains is the powerful sedatory effects.
Not like an indica but more of a very warm positive stoned feeling.
Very relaxing
Malawi is great, with a positivly amasing earthy, hash smell.
Like good Red or Gold Seal.

Congo Black was some of the darkest herb I`ve ever seen with a monster hash aroma and taste while still beeing fruity.
Massive massive seeds.
The congo in my opinion is very closely related to Swazi.
It is a very similar stoning.
The darker appearence is what distinguishes it and ofcourse the seeds.
However a sign of a good swazi is also massive seeds.

Almost all African Strains are generally long flowering plants and are big yielders when grown correclty and pruned well for maximum bud exposure.
The also like to be bent and tyied and in general made to work.

The Picture is a Port St Johns Transkei/Durban cross.
She grew to 3m and 3m wide.
Massive arms.
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Strain report on Swazi and it`s myriad of local crosses. "
[/FONT]

Roms

Veteran
Hi Rinse, great info'n experience, Thx!

Interresting talks by Derrayld : Congo / Swazi !
I have a Swazi red with slenders buds, sour smelling in culture with litlle citrus but in smocking it's more dark and hash complex. Strong high nevertheless... ;)

More by the same author,Derrayld:

"Strain report on Swazi and it`s myriad of local crosses.

So from my experience I`ve noted 2-3 different variances.
Firstly my favorite, swazi skunk.

Swazi Skunk- grows in nice long, thick, very chunky indica like buds.
Grows in lovely autumn colours, red, oranges, light greens, etc.
The tastes is nothing short of hashy, yet fruity.
The bud itself is very compact and scissors are need to cut through the crystal laiden arms
The plants I find can vary from short stocky plants to tall lambsbread trees.
The High is a very strong cerebral high with more of a couchlock effect than most strains.
The smoke leaves a fantastic Afghan hash taste in the mouth.
The nature of the High and look of the bud leads me to believe there is a slight indica hybrid somewhere in it`s family tree.
One of my favs.

Swazi red - is a far greener, almost dark green to black.
Covered in red hairs as well as a good crystal count.

The bud tends to grow in massive thick buds, they look like thousands of hairs neatly packed in breadloaves.
I`ve seen this plant grow from short stocky christmas tree, to massive trees with thcik heavy buds that look just like bread loaves, in shape and thickness.
The smoke tends to be a very earthy taste and after effect.
With a controlled, smooth high.
More of a sativa in this one and the high prooves it.
Now I wouldnt sya it is a very strong strain but if you like very smooth focussed highs then this one is a keeper.
I smoke loads of this herb and always find I can continue daily tasks quite easily while still feeling a pure high.

Swazi Gold - this is very closely related to the Swazi Skunk but I feel the bud is even more indica based than the previous 2.
Very chunky bud with an incredible long lasting smell that you can`t get rid of.
I had a kg of this herb in my boot for a week and after that there was no removing the smell from the upholstry.
It`s awesome.
The bud itself is super strong with an incredible smoke and high.
One of those buds you smoke and while your smoking you allready know by the taste that the high is gonna be great.
The seeds as with other swazis are massive dark brown seeds.
Vigirous growth and dark purple stems.

Swazi Gold and Swazi SKunk, although similar are vastly different in taste and high.
Swazi Gold is a more intense couchload(head mash) while the Skunk is a nice combo of the 2.
The bud is low in leaf, while the Swazi green is a higher leaf to calyx ratio.

As with most South African Genetics, this bud grows failry odourless until middle to late flower and into harvest when it takes on a fantastic smell and taste.
Only compareable to a good gold seal hash."

"Zimbabwe Rooibaart -

This bud was a pure sativa smoke with a serious narcotic stoning.
Small nuggets covered in red.
A very smokey taste.
But the high is very heavy and narcotic, leaves you quiete and dazed. Left my friend's mom asking him if I was taking any medication because I looked wasted.
Very good herb and very strong.
Not one that makes the rounds too often though."

Rinse

Veteran
Im thinking to merge this thread with the african one might be better, can mods do that?

Roms

Veteran
Up! :dance013:

I think its interesting to have this thread on bro Rinse, for me cannabis in Africa is not just arrived from the north as it is commonly accepted. I have my own "smoker" little theory about Austronesian migration to Madagascar longtime before that we think... Here the link about a thread closed... :cry: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221687

Free the shots or infos about south Africans greens here would be cool and helping...

Peace!

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Every occasion is good for me to post pictures...:biggrin:

AWESOME to see. I sent him a bunch of basic 'swazi' seeds from weed a friend of mine gets from a local rasta in Cape Town. It's pretty basic quality, nothing special, which Pepé The Grower did an amazing selection of. I recommended we don't call it SWAZI as the origin couldn't be officially traced, so it's been labelled 'south african'.

When he did the selection, there were heaps of TERRIBLE pheno's... hermies, terrible yielders, horrible weed that just burn't your thoat and tasted terrible!!! but there were also the good ones, which has he created the amazing amazing stuff... full kudos to Pepé The Grower for tis amazing line... he really did a great job.

Here is for the lil' story,now some pictures of what was kept for making the next generation:

males:
picture.php

males buds (from left to right):
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Rinse

Veteran
Up! :dance013:

I think its interesting to have this thread on bro Rinse, for me cannabis in Africa is not just arrived from the north as it is commonly accepted. I have my own "smoker" little theory about Austronesian migration to Madagascar longtime before that we think... Here the link about a thread closed... :cry: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=221687

Free the shots or infos about south Africans greens here would be cool and helping...

Peace!

Ok lets keep it rolling :)

Pepe great pics man.

Rinse

Veteran
Old post from 20'Thai on O.G forums.

Purple Durban

"In Ozz in the late 70's they imported some 100%Sativa Purple durbanPoison from Africa that made everyone see things that weren't there when they first smoked it. Many people had to be rushed to hospital and shot up with a high dose of pure Valium to calm them down. Once you were use to visual and audible effects of that batch of durban, it would completely annihilate even the most hardened of smokers for over 8hours...and I mean smokers that could bong 7-8grammes of the finest imported Thai Sticks per day without consequence, that were sold 'before and at the same time' this PurpleDPoison came into Ozz. The PurpleDPoison had some seeds in it, and I grew it for 4 years straight. The offspring for ONLY the first generation/year were purple and thereafter reverted back to the standard green. But none of us could make it as potent as the original batch was that came in from Africa. Close - but no cigar, if you know what I mean. The farmer in charge of that grow in Africa was a Cultivar-supreme at the true sense of the word as the dope was not laced with anything I assure you - it was straight from the BlackMans'Hand who harvested it out of an organic field of soil inside some jungle. One smoke, and you knew 'that' immediatly, as it tasted as smooth and as sweet as could be. After some people were hospitalised(for a day) as a result of it, authorities here obtained samples of it and thoroughly tested it to find that it had nothing else but an extordinary amount of Cannabinoidal resins in it - higher than anything else they'd ever tested before. No chemical additives whatsoever. The Media here at the time nicknamed it 'Purple Poison'.

There have been over time in many countries differing imported buds like Thai, NamBlacks and ColumbianReds that would stone you for as long as the PurpleDPioson did. Yet when seeds were taken from the samples that had them in them and were grown out the following year by home growers, they were never quite as strong as the original either. Very strong, yes, but not as outrageously potent as the originals. Why? Perhaps the mass-scale farmers of those times were using secrets passed down from genereation to generation that they never divulged to anyone and have since died with them...who knows? Your guess is as good as anyone elses.
Perhaps growing dope on a mass scale (guerilla type), works in the same way that cooking food in a massive oven on a mass scale does also - it aids to enhance itself from the mass aromas involved. Possible, but once again, not definite. What is definite though, is that there are much stonier smoking buds than those that do it for you for 3-4hours. Go to a SpanishFlea market near Madrid at the end of their/your growing season, and you'll see what I mean. Ask for KalamataRed Sativa buds, and enjoy a heavy Duty 6-8 hour experience...but they'll be twice the price of the thai and columbian buds they sell. In Spain, and many other places, after you've been around in the game a while, you'll find buds that will match the finest there is...and certainly much longer lasting than the MTF(?) you enjoyed. But the finest, if you are the right person, will find you - you, will not find it. It is an unwritten Lore of the cannabisKingdom.
Take care.
"

Latest posts

Latest posts