What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Study showing suicides go down in Med States

St. Phatty

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4232164/

Interesting facts here. Not certain this has been posted.

Cannabis can be very good for the mental pain/anguish that can lead one to end their life. It can take a few days to mellow out, after not using cannabis. In my experience cannabis and risk of suicide is low.

I think chronic pain and/or sudden onset of additional stress on someone who is already feeling overwhelmed, are common triggers.

Also, when people are deprived of a stress-relieving practice they didn't think much about, e.g. a nurse walking 5 miles a day doing their job, who then has to leave the job for medical reasons.

I've been watching social media in Sonoma County, partially out of rubber-necker-itis to see how people respond to the fires, and looking for signs of preparation for the 2018 fire season.

Anyway, one older person who lived in a possibly poorly managed 55 & over facility or maybe a regular apartment building, was posting about ending it all - or something like that - after building noise/ apartment neighbor noise got to them. That was the apparent stressor/ trigger.

I'm super curious about the wildland fire-fighter who committed suicide in November 2017 in San Diego, jumping off of Highway 8.

I think if Governor Brown wanted to learn something about how to make 2018 a better fire season, for the fire-workers, he could learn a boat-load by talking to the family of that particular fire-fighter.

As far as Cannabis, I think access to quality Cannabis is healthy.

I've also seen what happens when somebody who normally smokes 10 grams a day runs out all of a sudden. Not pretty.

Gry

Seen a couple of billboards in the SFV area which cited stats from the study.
Black background, plain wording, stark delivery.
Powerful content well delivered.

Easy7

Veteran
It really does wonders for the emotional side of pain and psychic pain. Something not treated by any med.

They also find in dying patients, fear makes pain worse. So maybe that trippy sativa might not be a great choice if fear is an element of your mind.

I honestly find some opiates to be scary.

igrowone

Veteran
It really does wonders for the emotional side of pain and psychic pain. Something not treated by any med.

They also find in dying patients, fear makes pain worse. So maybe that trippy sativa might not be a great choice if fear is an element of your mind.

I honestly find some opiates to be scary.

a rather insightful post if i may say so
wonder if there is any mainstream medical that recognizes it as a situation

igrowone

Veteran
Main stream medical is helter skelter

it's not perfect, but i suspect that it has been studied, was fishing for anyone with more knowledge on it
and mainstream medical really isn't the problem, it's mainstream law enforcement and the politics
pull the teeth on the old draconian laws and progress will be better

B

Bongi

This is not new news to me. I have been deeply depressed and used cannabis to help me feel better. Bad thing was that I was also in psychosis which got worse...

Cannabis can really help with mental agony and take thoughts to somewhere else when needed. Just be careful with it when dealing with mental health problems.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I know studies have shown that opiate related deaths went down in medical states where people had access to cannabis. I wonder if people switching to cannabis instead of using pain pills/heroin has had a more positive effect on their mental health overall and could be some of the reason for this trend. It also makes me wonder how many people decided to end it after being caught with pot in an illegal state and not being able to cope with the legal and social repercussions.

I remember there was a guy in my state several years ago who lived in a rural area and kept to himself. Police raided his house and he took his own life. All they found was 6 plants and some hunting shotguns. Even in situations like this the war on drugs continues to cost lives.

Easy7

Veteran
The only time in my life Imwas suicidal after toking, some jerk likely had pcp on it. I was already in a bad spot then it was very very different. Wasn't good weed at all either and totally flipped my wig. Caught a felony for that night. Never seen the guy that smoked me after that either.

Easy7

Veteran
Cannabis generally promotes life instinct and can offer protection from death instiinct. That the general thesis with meditation allies.

I suppose the goal of meditation, is to rule over the competing (death & life) instincts. I am not saying that being reliant of a drug will do this.

Sad really. I guess so many people DO let the law control their lives.

I mean, they keep saying the numbers are different for everything now that it's legal. Dui deaths, everything. I mean, were people really NOT smoking weed until it became legal?

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Sad really. I guess so many people DO let the law control their lives.

I mean, they keep saying the numbers are different for everything now that it's legal. Dui deaths, everything. I mean, were people really NOT smoking weed until it became legal?

Yeah. We live in a society where spineless people police themselves. It really is sad.

Farm Hero

Opiates are a huge source of suicide that is rarely spoken about, I know for a fact that cannabis can stop severe nerve pain when oxycontin and morphine quit working long ago.

Just makes sense that cannabis legal states would have reduced suicides.