What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malformed leaves in coco

Hereward

What STRAIN are you growing? vortex, pine express, lockstock, nycd, silver haze, cheese, etc.
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?) clone
What is the age of your plants? 3-5 weeks
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? vegetative
What Technique are you using? hand watered
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.) canna coco coir
What is the Nutrient temperature? +/- 70 farenheit
What Nutrient's are you using? canna coco a/b
What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using? 1.3 - 1.6
What is the pH of the "Tank"? 5.8
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equiptment? yes
When was your last watering? daily watering
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional) they get bumped up slightly by the week from clone, starting about 6ml/gal a/b, most plants now at about 9ml/gal canna coco a+b.
What size bulb are you using? 1000 watt mh
What is the distance to the canopy? 30 inches
What is your RH Factor? 40
What is the canopy temperature? 75 farenheit
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range) room temp usually peaks in the upper 70's, and gets as low as upper 60's during 4 hour daily dark period
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) 780cfm, roughly 800 cubic foot room
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? oscillating fan is somewhat, on low setting
Is your water HARD or SOFT? naturally soft, reads 70 ppm.
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched? no
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When? no
Are plant's infected with pest's? no

ImportedPhotos00040.jpg

ImportedPhotos00039.jpg

ImportedPhotos00038.jpg

ImportedPhotos00037.jpg

ImportedPhotos00036.jpg

ImportedPhotos00034.jpg

ImportedPhotos00033.jpg

ImportedPhotos00032.jpg

Well this has got me really stumped. It's the upper, newest shoots which are affected. It's like the leaf tips fail to form. Only about 1/3 of the veg room seems affected. I'm using the complete canna coco nute line, trying to follow their schedule as close as possible. I usually aim for a ph of 5.8, but often call it good if it's in the range of 5.5 to 6.1. Since first noticing this a couple weeks ago I've started to supplement with botanicare cal-mag @ 2-3ml/gal, thinking this could be associated with my low ppm water. No noticeable difference yet. Aside from this problem, I've been enjoying coco very much with great healthy vigorous growth. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?) clone
What is the Nutrient temperature? +/- 70 farenheit
What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using? 1.3 - 1.6
What is the pH of the "Tank"? 5.8
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equiptment? yes
What is your RH Factor? 40

Well this has got me really stumped. It's the upper, newest shoots which are affected. It's like the leaf tips fail to form. Only about 1/3 of the veg room seems affected. I'm using the complete canna coco nute line, trying to follow their schedule as close as possible. I usually aim for a ph of 5.8, but often call it good if it's in the range of 5.5 to 6.1. Since first noticing this a couple weeks ago I've started to supplement with botanicare cal-mag @ 2-3ml/gal, thinking this could be associated with my low ppm water. No noticeable difference yet. Aside from this problem, I've been enjoying coco very much with great healthy vigorous growth. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Seems like you have everything in order. Have you looked at the donor mom yet for the same symptoms. This appears to be more genetic then the result of something you are doing. Is it affecting ALL the plants of just a specific strain?

Hereward

Seems like you have everything in order. Have you looked at the donor mom yet for the same symptoms. This appears to be more genetic then the result of something you are doing. Is it affecting ALL the plants of just a specific strain?

It affects several unrelated strains, and these are all the same stock I ran in promix and haven't seen anything like this until the switch to coco.

oldog

This seems to be some kind of mutation or 'genetics' as SDG said. Also, leaves look somewhat similar to cuttings taken when flowering is advanced. If that is what it is, they will grow out of it. But they should have done so in 5 weeks. Otherwise they look good -seem a bit too dark green/overnuted (or bad photo?)but obviously not a cause of leaf distortion like that.
What is the brownish tint on the end half of the leaves in the second photo ? There also seems to be some interveinal yellowing on the older fan leaves. Otherwise they look good - a bit too green/overnuted at the top but neither would that make the leaves distort.
Try to see if the tip browning, yellowing, and leaf malformation are all common to particular plants.
Are some plants unaffected by any of those 3 ?
Anyway you'll probably get an OK crop off them, if it doesn't get much worse.

dunkydunk

I grow in Coco and I've seen the same thing on my Haze clones, but not to the extent you're seeing it. For me it's always been a result of the nute profile getting to high. I use Canna nutes as well, but if the ec gets too much over 1.0 in veg or early flower, I'll get mutated leaves and/or twisted new shoots. Which is funny because the plants don't show any normal signs of nute burn, but it's like they are growing so strongly and quickly, that they just get twisted up.

My suggestion would be to back down your nutes a couple points and see if the next growth looks better. In my experience growth that is already mutated stays that way, but the next growth is normal unless the mutation is all the way down in the stem, then the new growth is better but still grows a little twisted.

dunkydunk

And a little flush might be in order to speed recovery. I know run off values are notoriously unreliable in coco, but I've always found my plants are at their healthiest when the feed values and runoff values are at least somewhat close to each other.

Hereward

And a little flush might be in order to speed recovery. I know run off values are notoriously unreliable in coco, but I've always found my plants are at their healthiest when the feed values and runoff values are at least somewhat close to each other.

Alright, I'll try easing back on the nutes, and I'll start checking the runoff water. I confess, I haven't been.:redface:

hanuman

I often get similar weird-looking leaves on new growth after a pruning (or FIM) session, which seems normal as I prune right in the middle of the growing tip, hence cutting part of the leaves-to-be.

Now, looking at your diagnosis list at the top of the post, it looks like your plants haven't been pruned or pinched "recently". Have you done that a few weeks ago by any chance ? That could be your simple answer, as I fail to understand how nutrients (or the lack thereof) could possibly cause that.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Looks like mine a few weeks after topping-fiming...

But looking again, you really have some strange growth there.