What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Electromagnetic Locks For Cabinet Security?

Instant Pot

I remember seeing a thread about these once, but I can't find it again.

Does anyone use this type of lock (or similar) to secure a cabinet grow? It's just a magnet lock, not a latch, so I assume in a power failure (unplugging the unit), these wouldn't work without some kind of battery backup? How do I access...remote control or kill switch?

Is there a better solution, like an electronic latch that will stay latched after a power failure?

Thanks, and please let me know all the details I'll need to install two of these in a plywood cabinet build.

https://www.amazon.com/Seco-Larm-94...8897&sr=8-2&keywords=electromagnetic+lock+600

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'll need a 12 volt power supply. These don't draw much power, believe it or not. So a wall wart power supply will work. Most of them are designed to work on circuits with about an amp's worth of power.

Then you'll need a way to control the power flow. The easiest way imo would be to get a simple remote controlled outlet. Use the remote to turn the outlet off, and the cabinet doors will open. Turn it on, and they're locked. Could even lock the whole thing inside the cabinet you're trying to secure.

Instant Pot

You'll need a 12 volt power supply. These don't draw much power, believe it or not. So a wall wart power supply will work. Most of them are designed to work on circuits with about an amp's worth of power.

Then you'll need a way to control the power flow. The easiest way imo would be to get a simple remote controlled outlet. Use the remote to turn the outlet off, and the cabinet doors will open. Turn it on, and they're locked. Could even lock the whole thing inside the cabinet you're trying to secure.

Thanks for the info.

Would one wall wart be enough to control two magnets (top and bottom of door), or better to get two to plug into the RC outlet?

So the Achilles Heel of this system is that if the power to the cab is unplugged, the locks disengage. So what would be the best way to wire-up a backup? Would you use a UPS (for the remote controlled outlet), or could I just wire up a (larger-sized) 12 volt battery?

Any rough ideas how I would wire this all up? I assume using a UPS battery backup to plug the RC outlet in would be the easiest route. But if using one wall wart to wire up both magnets, is it just as simple as hooking all the + and - wires (1 each from the magnets) to the stripped wall wart lines? How would I wire up a larger (like big flashlight-sized) 12V battery to back up the plug?

Can you tell I'm not an electrical engineer yet?

Instant Pot

Is there a better option I'm not considering...like an electronically-controlled latch? It seems like a latch would at least stay locked in the result of a power failure.

Instant Pot

Is there a better option I'm not considering...like an electronically-controlled latch? It seems like a latch would at least stay locked in the result of a power failure.

WOW...how about something like this? This seems WAY easy, and cheap to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EgTIVee6aY

Okay...I think we have a winner!

This video explains how to do this...it is simply a very cheap automobile keyless entry kit available on Amazon for $30 or so. It gives you two remotes, and 4 Central Locking Actuators that will control 4 slide bolts. She ain't purty, but she'll work very well! For extra security against getting locked-out, it's probably a good idea to use a UPS battery backup to plug this into.

Keep in mind the wiring in this video is WAY more complicated than for North America, as I think all the gear is to step the 220V power down to 12V...but the simplicity of the locking mechanism is what's important to see! Four remote-controlled locking bolts inside a cabinet for @ $50 including bolt hardware works for me!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pV3ueSNK1M

Amazon link to the kits: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...keywords=central+locking+actuator+with+remote

Thoughts?

brookie

I use magnetic tot cabinet locks. Nothing shows on the outside the doors just do not open unless the magnet is held in the right spot.

Drop That Sound

I'd probably link 2 of those actuators going into 1 bigger deadbolt. Have a set of 2 of them for one door instead of 4. Also use a few magnets on the door and jam... just so the bolts always line up to the slots when its shut, so it stays positioned.

The actuators are small enough they could probably fit right inside a door frame.. out of sight, just like in your car.

I wouldn't even pay for the aftermarket universal actuators, but head straight to the junkyard and look for beefy name brand ones off a heavy duty vehicle, big rig, etc..

Then just buy the receiver/remote only, and wire it up to my own power source.

I kinda want to do this to my house now, thanks for the link!

Instant Pot

I'd probably link 2 of those actuators going into 1 bigger deadbolt. Have a set of 2 of them for one door instead of 4. Also use a few magnets on the door and jam... just so the bolts always line up to the slots when its shut, so it stays positioned.

The actuators are small enough they could probably fit right inside a door frame.. out of sight, just like in your car.

I wouldn't even pay for the aftermarket universal actuators, but head straight to the junkyard and look for beefy name brand ones off a heavy duty vehicle, big rig, etc..

Then just buy the receiver/remote only, and wire it up to my own power source.

I kinda want to do this to my house now, thanks for the link!

Yeah, were I putting this into a house, I'd certainly consider recessing these into a door, but I'm just trying to keep out curious eyes from spying inside my cabinet. I'll probably use the four on the one @ 6' door I have to secure, and Reflectix will probably cover them up, keeping them out of the light and away from any water.

At @ $30 for the entire kit, eff going to a pick 'n pull for parts...the actuators there are probably going to be more expensive anyways. I'll get a small UPS to backup the electric, so I don't get locked-out.

I guess my biggest problem is figuring out how to attach the small rods from the actuators onto the four sliding bolts. I'm no welder, and would like to find a better way to get these fastened. I guess I could use the slotted flat bar stuff to bend around the knobs of the four slide bolts, but would like a better, cleaner solution.

Attachments

• actuator hardware.jpg
    actuator hardware.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 15

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Here's my cab:

picture.php

picture.php

Moderate skill level required for install.

Power cut to the unit will defeat lock, with a soft hum indicating
lost contact.

Simple mechanical lock as back up recommended.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Had my cab set up with this lock as well...loved it. Had a little remote that I could use to unlock it from a distance. Thing was sweet.

Drop That Sound

I was looking into automatic chicken coop doors.. Came across some guys that used an automobile power antenna motor (around $20 from the wrecking yard) to slide the door open and closed, all solar powered with timers, etc.

Just another idea for an alternative actuator that might be used to power a locking mechanism!