What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need help sealing rooms...

OG.Gotti

Veteran
I'm going to start building my new rooms this weekend.. This will be my first go at sealed rooms with co2.. Need to know how to go about sealing them up and how often to exhaust.. Anything else you guys can think of.. Any and all help is greatly appreciated..

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm going to start building my new rooms this weekend.. This will be my first go at sealed rooms with co2.. Need to know how to go about sealing them up and how often to exhaust.. Anything else you guys can think of.. Any and all help is greatly appreciated..
long time ago i learned that sealing a tent isnt possible but you didnt say anything about a tent, so thats just information. The other thing I remember, I think, is there is no exhausting in a sealed environment. the co2 is the air that just gets filtered and circulated within the 'room'. there will be more members with more answers... GL.:tiphat:

P

Pinnate

I'm going to start building my new rooms this weekend.. This will be my first go at sealed rooms with co2..

I like my plants to have as much fresh air as possible!

Since it is their natural environment, tampering with it would seem to open the possibility of unforeseen consequences...

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
As Snook said, a sealed room is a sealed room. No transfer of air in or out. You’ll need to control the environment 100%, that means dehumidifier, heating & cooling, co2.

Ive been running sealed rooms forever, no comparison when it comes to controlling the environment & keeping programs on track without hiccups.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Exactly, sealed means no intake or exhaust.

Make sure your hoods are sealed well if running air through them to cool. Lots of people forget that and the air exhausting the hood heat sucks the co2 out with it around poorly fitted glass.

Maple_Flail

I can't speak from the aspect of Co2 enrichment, it ain't my thing, but not getting down on anyone who does.

Coming from a construction point of view, My experience comes in environmentally sealed recording studios. Where humidity, temperature swings and air filtration were all controlled to separate it from the buildings used (there was comunal air vents in some, vast swings of temps due to some places having door open in winder and the next having the heat cranked {the units to the left and right} ) and the studio owner wanted to protect the value of certain items and those environmental swings would cause degradation.

There are many ways you can get a proper seal, many depend on the material your essentially box in a box in a box is resting on. (it concrete? or wood flooring etc)
In a studio space this sort of isolation requires ALOT of space, how ever much of this, ie, floating floors, satellite cooling and filtration, are not required in a show room.

but you will need vapor barrier, many types(or grades) of insulation, Lots of wood lots of ducting, lots of planning and once you make a blue print stick to it.

External to internal and vice versa Radiators (fluid in closed loop, pumps two copper rads) is a great way of cooling air at a lower cost to mitigate AC costs. even if 10% of the heat is taken away over all that is 10% less energy needed to be spent on an ac and only 2% of that saved energy to keep that 10% reduction incheck

eebbnflow

There are 2 ways .#1 the best way , sealed room with AC/co2 . No exhaust ! No venting !
The room should have insulation, vapour barrier . And a gold solid door with tight seal . Caulk all the seems on floor ect .

I will also say you never mentioned a tent , that is good ;) I wouldn’t bother ...

#2 Venting with Co2 injection . This way I have never done but always mentioned in grow books for am example you would run your exhaust fans to control temps . The exhaust fans would shut off on a timer or controller for roughly 20 mins while the co2 turns on and fills the room with co2 and the plants can enjoy . The timing Varies and you would dial it in as you go .(does anyone even do this anymore )?

I’d also not use air cooled hoods unless you go with #2 cool tubes can be easier to seal vs a hood tho . but still then you have to wonder if your duct hose has a pin hole ...

100%sealed with AC is best . I would not go any other way . It also really helps with containing smells ! And keeping bugs out .

Next winter will be my first winter going sealed with AC never going back to exhaust fans !

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sealed and unsealed isn't black and white. Some people vent every few hours or during lights off.

coldcanna

Veteran
Whats the current situation? You framing from the ground up or just putting equipment in a sheetrocked room? Vapor barrier is correct, sheetrock and wood will absorb moisture and make humidity control more difficult. At lowes they have the reflective backed foam insulation boards, 4x8' for $13. Or reflectex is another vaporbarrier. Duct tape everything you can. Electrical outlets are common areas for air infiltration keep that in mind.

Unless you need to keep smell down, its cheaper to burn co2 a little more often and use fans for cooling than to fully seal and do AC. Every tomato greenhouse on the planet burns co2 and vents for cooling. AC will add around 1/3 more to the cost of your powerbill whereas burning propane occasionally is reasonable.

ekashe

air exchange is key if it's an available option in your design. probably the best time to do it is during lights out. get some fresh hepa filtered air pumped in, pump out the humid air and co2 😀

OG.Gotti

Veteran
Thank you everybody for your input..

1 room is 15'x24' with 6 Gavita pro 1000 de fixtures.. The 2nd is 13'x11' with 2 Gavitas.. I have a Titan Ares 4 four burner lp co2 generator and a Titan Atlas 2 meter/controller.. I'm hoping that will be enough for the big room and I'll figure out the smaller one later.. If the 4 burner isn't working for the bigger room I'll use it in the smaller room and purchase what I need.. I'm using central ac until I can get mini splits.. Walls are covered with Orca and I have dehumidifiers.. Anything I forgot please ask..

Thoughts, questions, comments...

herbgreen

Veteran
Putting plastic on walls can get condensed behind and grow mold

Something to keep an eye on anyway.....

Fairly common guidelines...
If using compressed Co2 from a Tank, no venting needed.
If creating Co2 from burners, occasional venting needed, primarily during lights on.
Co2 controller mandatory.

Junkyard Frog

This always gets me - sealed vs hybrid sealed and exhaust.

Both sides are correct in my humble opinion..BUT please believe a/c units DO have exhaust. All said I agree 100 percent, wouldn't go any other way. Amazing vpd control and gpw.

It is possible to build a "hybrid" room without a/c, with exhaust, depending on the lights you select. I run this year round in Cali w co2 for unbelievable gpw but wouldn't recommend to the novice without testing. Remember if your room is truly sealed and insulated, the outside conditions shouldn't have that much impact.

Latest posts

Latest posts