What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A room full of swinging dicks...

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Nice job flowering out all thouse seeds, looking for males.

What genetic traits have you been looking for in your males, and what have you found?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
thats some work separating the pollen from the anthers, especially that many different specimens.
obviously an act of love.

carry on and:greenstars:spread the love.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
thats some work separating the pollen from the anthers, especially that many different specimens.
obviously an act of love.

carry on and:greenstars:spread the love.

Plenty of work for sure. I am going to buy some sieve boxes for final separating, but collecting should not be too hard. I plan to use food grade 5 gallon bags (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J29FPVO/) that I will cover the top of the plant with, and then shake the plant inside. I want to do a few collections like this before I chop the plants and do a final separation.

Can anyone recommend a sift box set like this? Or, should I just make something myself with wood and stainless mesh?

https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Frames-Aluminum-Polyester-Screens/dp/B01N7EPGFJ/

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Thug Pug - Grape Breath

Thug Pug - Grape Breath

Cue the circus music, because I am bringing out a freak!!! I present one the most breath dom plants of the whole project. This is Grape Stomper x Mendo Breath from Thug Pug using Gage Green genetics.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

S

sourpuss

Interesting that roaddawgs in your top 3... was just reading someone saying it wasnt good.

Can anyone recommend a sift box set like this? Or, should I just make something myself with wood and stainless mesh?

https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Frames-Aluminum-Polyester-Screens/dp/B01N7EPGFJ/

Personally, I prefer stainless, but to each their own.

$35 USD 12"x24" 100 micron mesh:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-x24-150-MESH-100-MICRON-WOVEN-WIRE-MESH-STAINLESS-STEEL-FILTRATION-GRADE/221445792543?hash=item338f32a31f:g:eM0AAOxyx0JTfQcU

Get a piece of 1x2 pine, wood screws, staplers, stapler, drill, scissors and saw and you're all set for a fraction of the cost.

Made a 12"x12" 150 micron in about an hour. I suggested the 100 micron because I sometimes get plant matter coming through the 150.

By the way, fan-fucking-tastic project! Major inspiration!!!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
WOW! just wow,man
this is a brilliant thread and i cant wait to see what come of it all

so like safe gardener said, what do you look for in your selection process
have you done a lot of selective breeding before?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

This was a male that Genetic Freaked found. THIS is what you want to find when looking to carry high potency traits into the next filial generation. He called him "Snowman" for obvious reasons. When they surface, you have to use them. Can't use them, if you don't give them proper attention in the garden. I agree they are every bit as important as the females, in terms of having true self provision.

Awesome thread! :respect:

:lurk:

dank.Frank

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Interesting that roaddawgs in your top 3... was just reading someone saying it wasnt good.

Really? I got a pack from seedbay (RIP) from the server fund in fall 2016 that were labeled R&D. I chatted with Karma here about them and he said they were fire. I can honestly say that this was the hardest strain to pick a keeper - three females were just that good. They stacked rock hard huge nugs top to bottom. Definitely +30% cannabinoids if grown properly. Deep blend of OG and Chem. Bag appeal off the charts. Literally a 10 in every category.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
View Image

View Image

This was a male that Genetic Freaked found. THIS is what you want to find when looking to carry high potency traits into the next filial generation. He called him "Snowman" for obvious reasons. When they surface, you have to use them. Can't use them, if you don't give them proper attention in the garden. I agree they are every bit as important as the females, in terms of having true self provision.

Awesome thread! :respect:

:lurk:

dank.Frank

Thanks Frank! I will be on the lookout for that frost. I am going to let these boys run for a good while longer to watch for traits.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
WOW! just wow,man
this is a brilliant thread and i cant wait to see what come of it all

so like safe gardener said, what do you look for in your selection process
have you done a lot of selective breeding before?

Thanks! That is such a complex question. The simple answer relies on the premise that every plant (phenotype) has strengths and weaknesses. So, I am mainly looking for traits that can complement other strains short comings. I am not looking for one male that will create gold with anything it touches (that would be nice but not in the real world of cannabis variety), but a bunch of precision tools versus one big ass hammer.

That says nothing but touches on a philosophy. Each plant, male or female, despite how good, could be made better in some way. It is not just physical traits (strong stems, pest resistance, vigor, looks), but the cannabinoid and terpenoid makeup and effect as well. So, I pick a male for potential frost, terp profile or effect, but not necessarily all of the above.

I will make an example. I was lucky (and fast enough) to snag a pack of Cannarado's Sundae Driver (Fruity Pebbles x Grape Pie). It was a fem pack, but I found 3 elite keepers. The sickest of the bunch is a grape pie dom, with pure grape candy syrup terps and knockout punch. Problem was it yielded poor. So, I picked a few males that I thought would add some stretch, branching and stacking.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I like to keep a male or two myself. What are the traits that your see in a keeper/pollinator?

Hey Safe Gardner! If you are only going to keep one or two, it should have some purpose. My first effort at making seeds used a BOG Sour Lifesaver (Lifesaver x Sour Bubble) male. It brought crazy frost and wonderful terps, but it also made every plant shorter with slower veg. The easiest thing to do is to use the healthiest looking male from a strain with females that you deem mostly keepers. After that you get into the advanced process of how traits express themselves in subsequent filial generations.