What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does anybody use Biochar as component of soil mix?

C

CulturedHeathen

Pretty straight-forward... I've read about some of the benefits of biochar added to poor soils to improve quality, but does anybody here use it as a component of their soil mixes? I have access to large amts. of the stuff and am just getting into biological growing after years of salt-based gardening. What are the benefits/drawbacks? What percentage of the soil mix can biochar comprise? I have bags upon bags of duff from Lazari's Mesquite charcoal and would like to find another use for it. This is unburnt, fine powdery stuff that would mix with soil very well. I assume that if used too much, the soil acidity might be affected, but am not sure.

G

growingcrazy

I use it. A small amount goes into my soil aswell as composts.

C

CulturedHeathen

Like a couple handfuls per cuft soil? I would assume that a little goes a long way. I sprinkle my compost layers with the stuff already...

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Many here use it in our soil including myself. Check out SilverSurferOG's posts on biochar.

Take the char and soak it in buckets with a high nitrogen source such as fish meal,guano,or even alfalfa. Add a little EWC or compost to add a bit of life. Drain and run through a compost is what I do now.

M

MrSterling

I've been adding it into my compost and I added a small amount to my last batch of soil mix, maybe 5%. It has incredible aeration and habitat potential. I have noticed my outdoor containers with this mix hold water better after rains.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah i find 5-10% is max for an already rich soil mix. For dry, depleted soil you might use up to 25%. It is also good for waterlogged soil...

Check out the Terra Preta thread. Its in the sticky library at the bottom of the stickies. O yeah and there's a link down there in my sig :smoke:

C

CulturedHeathen

Awesome... this is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks guys.

C

CulturedHeathen

Darc Mind... Would I be wrong in assuming that using a quality aact to inoculate the biochar would work as well?

O

OrganicOzarks

I have been reading up on this recently as a friend of a friend bought a property with an entire field of biochar that has been composting for years. We looked at it under the scope, and it was active as hell.

I will keep posted to this thread for more info.

GrnMtFinn

biochar has great porosity, as it is the result of low oxygen pyrolysis, or the gasification of biomass. it is essentially the carbon-skeletal structure of the biomass feed that was used to make it. highly stable carbon. High surface area and porous means great habitat for microbes. Improves soil fertility.

After breaking it up post soak, I am adding pieces ranging from sand grains to almost 1" to my soil mix. Do I need to be breaking it up more, or are the larger pieces just helping aeration and a diversity of size? Haven't noticed any problems, just wondering what others are doing...

John Deere

Veteran
I'm more of a DIY kinda person and have a relatively small garden so I'm about to build a 1G burner to make my own using THIS as a general guideline.

Cool Moe

Veteran
A minute or two ago there was a member went by jaykush who dealt some serious wisdom and was an inspiration along with Burnone, microbeman and CTguy. Never personally met em but these fellas transmitted a standard of excellence that is hard to maintain. If I remember right I think jaykush recommended between 2%-5% biochar in the mix.

C

CulturedHeathen

Indeed. Quality lump hardwood charcoal or homemade biochar are the only things that I would personally use.