What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What process will create vape oil?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Follow. Lol. Im trying to see which way is best for extraction

It really depends on how much material that you want to run at once. Butane systems are easier to extract large quantities, but you probably want to winterize your BHO with ethanol for highest quality vape pens. The equipment is quite a bit more expensive and have the danger factor of using an explosive gas, likely in an enclosed space.

Doing -50C ethanol extraction is a different animal, as you have to worry about cold-filtering and bulk removal of large quantities of alcohol. It is cheap and easy to do a small amount, but the equipment starts to scale in price pretty quickly for 50+ and 100+ gram (of shatter) runs.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I am curious about the use of THC-A vs THC for vape pens as it pertains to chemical reactions and internal seals (ie leaking cartridges). Is the acid part of THC-A more aggressive than distillate or decarbed shatter? I understand that terpenes can cause reactions but was wondering about cannabinoids as well.

I am going to bump this because I have slightly altered my process and have been seeing some interesting results. Decarbed THC seems to have a larger volume than the exact same amount of shatter (THC-A). This means less terps have to be added to dissolve concentrate.

Here is the basic premise:

Since it is difficult and messy to get the last 5% of ethanol removed, I have been pouring my solution with a thin syrup consistency in a beaker and placing on a double boiler @ 225F for about 20 minutes. Thermocouple measures temps in 175F-190F range. Volume is typically reduced by about 50%, which I would guess 99-99.5% of ethanol has been removed at this point. A significant, but far from complete, amount of decarbing also takes place.

Once it has cooled to 130F, I use 60ml syringe to transfer to silicone mats in vacuum oven @ 125F for final purge. Since the concentrate is partially decarbed with less surface tension between the molecules, it pancakes and quickly (15 minutes) goes to glass with a complete purge. I then place my oven trays with silicone mats into a freezer for a bit and then use a stainless tool to easily peel concentrate from silicone and transfer to clean beaker (sitting on a digital scale) for mixing terps.

Any thoughts on this process? My logic is that I never push too hard (and convert THC to CBN) during the slight decarb, and thus there are very few differing effects when the THC-A is converted to THC (versus decarbed THC direct vaporization) during vaping and inhalation.

WFF

NzGreenWhanau

This blows my mind. Ive made a lot of cannabis oil over the years in New Zealand. I usually use my friends ethanol from his still an get it like rock. But living here it seems we aren’t able to procure some equipment yet. I’ll definitely be looking into adding a few more string to my bow as im really enjoying medicating in other ways than the conventional rolled joint. No doubt with a team of experienced people that are on here it wont be too difficult. Thanks

robotwithdreams

Veteran
“I am going to bump this because I have slightly altered my process and have been seeing some interesting results. Decarbed THC seems to have a larger volume than the exact same amount of shatter (THC-A). This means less terps have to be added to dissolve concentrate.

Here is the basic premise:

Since it is difficult and messy to get the last 5% of ethanol removed, I have been pouring my solution with a thin syrup consistency in a beaker and placing on a double boiler @ 225F for about 20 minutes. Thermocouple measures temps in 175F-190F range. Volume is typically reduced by about 50%, which I would guess 99-99.5% of ethanol has been removed at this point. A significant, but far from complete, amount of decarbing also takes place.

Once it has cooled to 130F, I use 60ml syringe to transfer to silicone mats in vacuum oven @ 125F for final purge. Since the concentrate is partially decarbed with less surface tension between the molecules, it pancakes and quickly (15 minutes) goes to glass with a complete purge. I then place my oven trays with silicone mats into a freezer for a bit and then use a stainless tool to easily peel concentrate from silicone and transfer to clean beaker (sitting on a digital scale) for mixing terps.

Any thoughts on this process? My logic is that I never push too hard (and convert THC to CBN) during the slight decarb, and thus there are very few differing effects when the THC-A is converted to THC (versus decarbed THC direct vaporization) during vaping and inhalation.”

I would love to know if you have ever had your stuff tested for final ppms of ethanol in you extract. I remember reading over the years people were failing right n left with ppms being to high even after a partial decarb. What is your experience?

Also wondering which terps you have tried and can tolerate. Thanks for any feedback.

indoh209

i kind of skimmed through the forum here and was wondering what the suggested ratings of viscosity for cartridges with 4*.9mm, 4*1.2mm holes. if i start with raw distilate that's been dewaxed and stripped of terpenes ofcourse. would anyone have good suggestions on a thinning agent for .9mm holes?? i was planning on adding 8% terpenes by volume and something like 30% ejmix or vapeur as a thinning agent to my distilate..