What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane honey oil for dummies

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Ok I see now , I’m using 3 inch wide stainless steel tubes various lengths depending on how much material... I blow through many cans and often thought about some kind of system like you devised... I just blast until the tube can’t take anymore and then let it release... valves on each end...what kind of pressure can you get in the tube with that big tank?

need4weed

Veteran
Ok I see now , I’m using 3 inch wide stainless steel tubes various lengths depending on how much material... I blow through many cans and often thought about some kind of system like you devised... I just blast until the tube can’t take anymore and then let it release... valves on each end...what kind of pressure can you get in the tube with that big tank?

I know what you're saying. These butane bottles are cheap, very cheap and also pure. It's my 1st time at trying extractions and cant be arsed with doing 1 oz batches. It was just passing gas so nothing passing through. I will make some kind of support to hold the bottle upside down so that only liquefied gas passes through the column. My column is just over 2 ft long and 2 inch diameter. It would easily hold 16 bar pressure,

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I know what you're saying. These butane bottles are cheap, very cheap and also pure. It's my 1st time at trying extractions and cant be arsed with doing 1 oz batches. It was just passing gas so nothing passing through. I will make some kind of support to hold the bottle upside down so that only liquefied gas passes through the column. My column is just over 2 ft long and 2 inch diameter. It would easily hold 16 bar pressure,

the regulator will "regulate" the supply of gas and no liquid will come. IMHO it's not good to play around with that much unregulated butane, unless you Really know what your doing. Back in the day I used to make fairly large batches in a french press coffee pot. Jjust take out the plunger, fill half way up with bud, replace the screen but unscrew the plunger. Inject a couple or 3 cans (depending how much weed you use; My pot took two oz.) through the plunger hole. Fill with butane, let it stand a mo before pouring it through a coffee papper screen into your dish. !/2oz of oil for zero effort. I think it's better to be safe than sorry; But back in the day i used to do ISO extraction too and boil off 3 ltrs in a microwave outside, Very dagerous indeed as just a small impurity falling into boiling ISO can cause superheating. Have fun and stay safe

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm going to ask a silly question. Can I use a 12kg butane bottle. The type used for patio heaters etc. If so does it need to be turn upside do let the liquid through rather than the gas? And will the regulator let the liquid pass through or do they have a safety device to only allow gas and not liquefied gas

Get rid of your regulator and turn the tank upside down so that its vapor port is passing liquid.

Because LPG is virtually odorless, laws require that an odorant be mixed with it when used for general heating, et al, so that if there is a leak you can detect it. Typically a mercaptan, which has a human detection rate in the low parts per billion.

Instrument Grade and refrigerant grades do not have mercaptans. Can you smell the gas you are using?

need4weed

Veteran
Get rid of your regulator and turn the tank upside down so that its vapor port is passing liquid.

Because LPG is virtually odorless, laws require that an odorant be mixed with it when used for general heating, et al, so that if there is a leak you can detect it. Typically a mercaptan, which has a human detection rate in the low parts per billion.

Instrument Grade and refrigerant grades do not have mercaptans. Can you smell the gas you are using?

Gray wolf, it does have a a slight odour. It just smells like typical butane to me. Unfortunately I cant get rid of the regulator, its not like a propane bottle where you can screw in the regulator or where you can release the gas without it. Tbe butane cylinder has a clip on regulator, without it, there is no way of releasing the gas

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gray wolf, it does have a a slight odour. It just smells like typical butane to me. Unfortunately I cant get rid of the regulator, its not like a propane bottle where you can screw in the regulator or where you can release the gas without it. Tbe butane cylinder has a clip on regulator, without it, there is no way of releasing the gas

You will have to remove the gas regulator. Could you send a picture?

Typical butane has virtually no smell. It smells slightly like the air from an intertube. If it smells like garlic it has a mercaptan added.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
It’s been decades since I dropped off the concentrate scene. Some of y’all might remember me, most probably not. I owned Okief.com and made tubes and tumblers in my home machine shop. I’m still alive! Events made me have to drop off the radar. I wouldn’t say I’m back, but I’m so thankful back in the day this was a pinned post! That’s like a world away for me since I had to pack up and disappear. That’s a long story

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It’s been decades since I dropped off the concentrate scene. Some of y’all might remember me, most probably not. I owned Okief.com and made tubes and tumblers in my home machine shop. I’m still alive! Events made me have to drop off the radar. I wouldn’t say I’m back, but I’m so thankful back in the day this was a pinned post! That’s like a world away for me since I had to pack up and disappear. That’s a long story
Welcome back brother!