What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Potency and Seed Production

Betterhaff

Veteran
Hi All,

I know there is probably information about this somewhere on the forum but I’d thought I’d throw it out there to see if there is anyone who has had some personal experience.

The question is does seed production affect the potency of the plant of which the seeds were made? To define a little more, is cannabinoid production affected by the plant producing seeds. I know yield can be affected.

The reason I ask, I made some seed which I germ tested and than just left to grow outdoors and kind of forgot about them. They went to flower and one of them really reeked skunk/rubber. I took a cut of her which took and also pollinated her with some pollen I had. The seeds are basically mature but the only bud I will have to test will be seeded.

Will I be able to get a fair assessment of this plant being that it was seeded?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
no it's only gonna effect the yield. instead of making more flowers it devotes most if not all it's energy to make the seeds once pollinated.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Thanks stihg…I was kind of thinking along those lines but just wanted some reassurance. The plant is a one off but it caught my curiosity so I took a cut and also pollinated it just in case. I usually pollinate proven specimens and only partially, enough to get the quantity of seeds I need. This one is small and I pretty much hit every available site with pollen.

rik78

Veteran
the quality is also gonna be lower, I know because its what I smoking right now, and yes it get you high, but is not top of the shelve...

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i never had any quality issues. i don't even see how that would be possible. plants gonna give you the same high regardless. the only thing that would change it would be if you took it more clear vs more amber.

Momerath

I too haven't noticed a change in quality, but yes yield. In fact in some cases the pollinated bud seems to produce more resin than an unpollinated bud on the same plant. This is coming from years of observation on many many pollinated plants.

Growcephus

Veteran
Before the indoor grow revolution kicked off in full force, pretty much ALL the weed we got back in the day was seeded to some extent. In our area of the world, at least.

Seeded weed will still get you high, but it's just a pain in the ass filtering out all the seeds.

harry74

Veteran
I´ve been smoking Bay Dream that was seeded. I´ll say it does affect potency.
I´ve got a cutting of the same plant flowering outdoors, looks like will be done in about 2 weeks.
I think I´ll be able to tell better when I sample that bud.
Bay Dream pollinated
Outdoors back right.
:tiphat:

Betterhaff

Veteran
In fact in some cases the pollinated bud seems to produce more resin than an unpollinated bud on the same plant.

Thanks for the input folks, maybe I should have started a poll, lol. I harvested a couple of lower buds that were the first pollinated a week ago, the seeds were ripe and the calyxes were splitting, I was afraid the seeds were going to drop. I put the small buds on a shelf in my kitchen to dry and the whole house stunk.

The herb was dry enough so I rolled a pinner last night and after a couple of hits I can say I’m glad I took a clone. Pine/hash/lemon taste with a very up high and a slight touch of warm body. I really didn’t pay much attention to the trichs since I was after the seed but when I looked at the plant today they were cloudy.

I guess it’s kind of tough to judge in this scenario because I’m looking for mature seeds. Some of the bud may end up a little over done since I want to make sure the seeds are ripe. At least what I smoked was very good and not the other way around. I will have the clone to play with.

“Pollinated bud seems to produce more resin than an unpollinated bud”…interesting. I won’t be able to tell with this plant. When making seeds by pollinating only selected branches on a plant, I never bothered to check…usually the plants were very resinous to begin with.

Sounds like an experiment. Take 2 clones of the same plant and grow identically. Put into flower and completely dust one when ready. When plants are ripe, harvest and compare.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I'm with Stigh- if seeding takes much off the effect, it's damned little.

I have Samsara Ultraviolet I grew as sinse over a year ago and some I grew for seed recently, crossed it with Spyder. Doesn't seem to be any different in effect.

I'll agree wrt yield- once pollinated, the girls concentrate on the seeds- It's their goal in life, to reproduce. When denied, they have 2 strategies to do that- grow more flowers in an attempt to catch pollen or grow their own pollen.

Miraculous Meds

I know that dj short prefers seeded herb. He didn't talk about potency though, his thoughts were towards better character of the herb.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My experience says seeded herb is a little more lethargic than sense... but I never let my seed mature for less than 6 weeks either.
Screw those immature white bud fucker uppers... I want to see mottling & stripes on dem beans.

I don't see how being pregnant changes the genetics, however, so it stands to reason that seeded v no seed, taken at the same time in their life, should be very similar.

F

Folate

A fully seeded plant will take a mild hit to quality. It should be representative of the final product though. Regarding yield, and other plant characteristics, it would be hard to assess a fully seeded plant. The good news is that the plant matures a hell of a lot faster, so if you are throwing pollen on some long sativas, you will be in for an earlier treat.
This is based solely on my experience that I gleaned from OG and CW.
F.

vidro

when you smoke and like the end result it´s better to have some seeds. Pollinating only some buds at the beggining of flowering gives the plant plenty of time to produce good and hard seeds and grow more buds. the first internode flowers will get pollinated but not the best buds. and then you´ll have some seeds from selected varieties to try next year or to give someone a surprise!

Betterhaff

Veteran
My experience says seeded herb is a little more lethargic than sense... but I never let my seed mature for less than 6 weeks either.
Screw those immature white bud fucker uppers... I want to see mottling & stripes on dem beans.

Yep, I would agree. So far I harvested 2 groups of seed and the last group is the top portion of the plant and its way beyond being ripe, smoke wise. I did pop a seed from the first group and it germed so I’ve got some things to play with. I also have a clone thriving.

vidro

i did not mention one thing... compare the buds where you have pollinated and the ones you didnt´t. the first ones will have more tendency to mold if you grow on your balcony or outdoors. most of the times i find the mold where the seeds are.

Last edited:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
mold tends to grow on dead matter. the areas with seeds will have ripened first and will have started dying off first. so it's only logical that there would be mold there first.

harry74

Veteran
I smoked the other day a outdoor bud of the bay dream and I think that is more potent.
I´ve got some rubber smells too that I didn´t notice indoors.

Anyway this comparison is not totally fair as first run was indoors and second outdoors.I´ll be runnig again the clone I keep alive soon.
I don´t know if seeded buds are more sensible to mould really.
What can I say is that if the seeded buds are affected by mould, when you germinate that seeds they develop mould around the root too. At least, I have seen this happening....

I have seen seeds coming from a crop with mould ( made outdoors) treated with an antifunghicidal an anyway, as son as they open, mould around the root.

My 2 cents

Latest posts

Latest posts