What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will strains with a strong smell make a comeback after legalization?

As time goes on it seems like Cannabis will become decriminalized or possibly even become legal in many countries.

Do you think we will see more people breeding strains with a very strong smell as the fear of getting caught is gone?

I get the idea many strains that were bred indoors were chosen to have less of a smell in order to protect the grower of the strain from getting caught.
Thanks for your input

troutman

Seed Whore
I'm hoping they do come back one day. Mind you a lot of the plants grown today were selected against
those traits for security reasons. So your best chances may be to start with Landraces which may have
latent stinky plant traits, breed with them in numbers, and hope for the best.

G

Gauss

I don't really see the industry going that way ever, not on the level of what could occur naturally where there are tons of loud freaks in one bag of seeds. Think of it this way, you might like beer but do you like it enough to have your house smell like it from 50 yards away for four to six months? It's "legal", but the answer is probably not. Sure, there will be strains bred for how much loudness they put out, but in general I think it will be a bit more realistic for the home grower which means less loudness in general. Not to say it wouldn't smell as enticing, just not as loud.

And if people can't grow whatever they want then it's not legal, it's decriminalized which is just a way of saying bend over for the taxes and fees unless you do exactly what you're told. If it were legal you'd see tons of smaller grows and fewer commercial size grows, so I think my opinion is really in general and not difinitive.

b8man

Veteran
Isn't that terpenes? Very terpy strains are a thing, like roadkill skunk and dirty hippy which wreak to high heaven. Strains have been bred for stinkiness much more than for subtle growing traits (in my experience).

rolandomota

Veteran
No people breed for stink always because theirs such a thing as carbon filters theirs no current trend to breed with less smelling strains never never will be

clearheaded

SAM may be a good person to ask with actual data to back up.... there are varieties now with 4+% terpenes and believe sam says they have found similar upwards of 6% back in 80s "pre charcoal" as kevin likes to say. So terpene levels have not seemingly changed. imagine most in the GAS range now but I am sure there is some nice grown SSH or blue dream with some pretty loud stuff.

did the OG people toss out OG cause it was too loud? diesel die off because was too loud? its our nature to want super loud and higher risk meant higher reward.

Also back in the day bud was cured and alot of the monoterps were gone and def wasnt as loud as fresh buds are today even if started with same product. back in the day smell and taste and bag appeal wasnt as important, but high and smokability is what was focused on. not fully as obv smells played a part in high. any guys in the 70s have triple bag loud stuff?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nope. There will be smell ordinances in place, like with any industry that produces odor. Police will waste millions training to recognize the difference between 6 plants or 200 just by smell alone. They'll still search if it smells to much to make sure you are being a good compliant citizen while enjoying your approved freedoms.

dank.Frank

Americangrower

Veteran
There are plenty of stinky plants being bred. Buy any seeds bred to the GMO cut. I grew GMO x Stardawg and they absolutely stunk.

Cannabinoids are metabolic relatives to terpenes. Answer the question, "will flowers become more potent over time?" and you likely have the same answer about smell. They come hand in hand. Show me a strain with reliable 25% THC and I'll show you a stinky ass plant in late flower.

Hydro8

I live in a place where we have had some sort legal cannabis and dispensaries for more then 10 years. Most people who have access to selection get picky and develop connoisseur habits after a couple of years. Consumers and connoisseurs love smell, nice subtle smells, berry, fruit, floral, pine some like a little more loud gassy, pinesol, ect.

I have only heard of people searching for strong dead skunk smell on here icmag. I feel like some have a stock of old seeds they hoarded with thoughts they would be valuable someday and they are drumming up hype.

When Skunk #1 is in dispensaries it is almost always on the bottom shelf. Skunk is boring.. the high is dull and smell gets old real quick. Cannabis breeding has come a long way in the last 20-30 years.

So, No I do not think commercial grade growers will start growing Skunk #1 for dead skunk smell. They don't now and I do not see it in the future. Like all other connoisseur grade things they will produce product that has finer and more complex noses.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The 20 year old cut of ECSD stinks massively, and her genetics are everywhere now. We're talking double odor scrubbers here. There are plenty of 'strong' odor cannabis strains today. :)

A wrench in the works, affecting smell.
MANY growers never find out how much terpenes their plants *can* produce. The torture is just too much for the plant to express itself fully. Cannabis is amazingly good at powering through horrible grow techniques, but terpene and cannabinoid expression is greatly reduced. ;)

pinkus

Veteran
Cannabinoids are metabolic relatives to terpenes. Answer the question, "will flowers become more potent over time?" and you likely have the same answer about smell. They come hand in hand. Show me a strain with reliable 25% THC and I'll show you a stinky ass plant in late flower.

True on the metabolic relatives, but I would assume that there is a cap to total cannabinoids, including terpenes in that total. If you breed for most potent plants (THCa), you may be breeding away from smellier plants.

X

xavier7995

Moonshine Haze has 22-27% THC and smells hardly at all when growing, it doesn't even get much dankness to it until well into curing. My smelliest plants stink most in early flower as well. Most high THC strains aren't as loud in my experience, I imagine it's only about terpenes.

I grow out ghost train haze pretty often (half moonshine haze i think) and man it stinks like lemons and gas for me. I sure would like some low odor strains, strong smell has never been a big selling point for me.

Heres my boring weed smell story. Carbon scrubber reached the end of its life and isnt scrubbing at the moment so there is this sort of jet stream of weed funk smell shooting out of a vent in my garage. My neighbor is getting some sort of security clearance job and a fed agent showed up to do the background check. My wife was leaving as they were approaching so they met right in front of the vent. "Well that was an awkward conversation" she says.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
True on the metabolic relatives, but I would assume that there is a cap to total cannabinoids, including terpenes in that total. If you breed for most potent plants (THCa), you may be breeding away from smellier plants.
This is generally true. The more THC/CBD/Cannabinoid content, the lower the total terpene content.