What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yes or no on this hempy bucket setup ?

Riviera123

And no i dident use the domes over vermiculite perhaps i really dont have a clue what the f I’m doing tho i just keep stumbling on this and that and learning the hard way as usual but ty
For your input

Riviera123

How does this look for next clone rodeo ?

How does this look for next clone rodeo ?

Large glass cookie jar with lid
Grow stones on bottom
Grodan RW on top
2 inches RO water on bottom
Excess water squeezed out of RW with 1 finger and 1 thumb
Heat mat underneath
Temp inside in low 80’s
Humidity 99%

Attachments

• BA63898C-5429-47E6-9BAC-93BEBA84B1CA.jpg
    BA63898C-5429-47E6-9BAC-93BEBA84B1CA.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 10
If you're having issues with stems getting mushy from being overwatered then perlite like what palindrone and I said(maybe others did too earlier) is the way to go. It's extremely hard to over water perlite I'm not familiar with growstones but it looks similar so that'll be a step up from vermicultie. Palindrone's setup looked pretty awesome I usually don't use rockwool but might give his setup a try. If you have the space try using 8oz foam cups with just perlite and a hole punched 1" up. Fill the cup up to just above the drain hole then insert the clone. Hold it steady and gently fill the rest of the cup. Then depending on how dry your environment is feed it ro water every so often I usually do it once a day but can go 2 days with no issues most the time. Don't pour near the stem pour near the edge of the cup opposite the side of the drain hole. Good luck

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I would raise the jar, just a bit over the heat mat. Or try without it, I have never used them. The grow rocks looks fine, should work about the same as hydroton.

Less light maybe, another reason why many clones die. As too much light will make them try to grow, not root with the result they waste their energy on growth and die.
As Bird said, 99% humidity might be a bit too high. I think it's due to the heat mat, maybe try to lift the lit a bit, so the jar can breath and get the humidity down between 70 - 80%

Riviera123

Yes and all great sound advice , i removed the heat mat and I’m going to see what happens with the temp and humidity. The heat mat was a must for the vermiculite i was told. So many ways to do the same thing I’m just trying to find one that works for me and once that happens i will stick with it. I will grab some regular perlite too and throw it in a cup for shits and giggles . Thank you

Riviera123

Cloning in Foam cup

Cloning in Foam cup

I was kind of wondering about the foam cup set up and my assumption is you want to keep the bottom of the stem above the 1 inch water line correct? I want to also try this method as well . Temps in cookie jar cloner is 77 f and humidity 84 . Now i just have to wait and try to keep my cotton Pickens hands off them .

I was kind of wondering about the foam cup set up and my assumption is you want to keep the bottom of the stem above the 1 inch water line correct? I want to also try this method as well . Temps in cookie jar cloner is 77 f and humidity 84 . Now i just have to wait and try to keep my cotton Pickens hands off them .

Yep just above the drain hole(around 1/2" or so above) you don't want it sitting directly in the res or it gets too moist. Foam cup hempys are cheap, simple and give me 90%+ survival rates. I used to get antsy a lot and check on them too lol but they are happier left undisturbed. A easy way to water foam cup hempys is to set them in short clear plastic totes to catch runoff. Have two totes so you can move the cups from one to the other after watering them so you can easily dump the runoff. These same little hempy cups are great for starting seeds in too btw it's pretty hard for seedlings to get dampening off disease in pure perlite. Good luck hope your next batch is successful:)

Last edited:
Then after they root just gently pinch the bottom of the cup off and plant it whatever setup you want. No need to pull it from the cup or disturb the roots which prevents transplant shock.

Riviera123

Holy cow thats right its a foam cup just pinch the cup off and plant in anything thanks so much for great guidance ! I’m assuming that the finer or smaller type perlite will be best for a foam cup hempy.

Riviera123

Wow i could really see starting the seed in foam cup perhaps working working out to for any garden plants you are transplanting outside as well . Funny thing is my dentist gave me the exact size 8 oz foam cup today to spit out the junk in my mouth . So i said hey can i have a couple more of these, she gave me some and i was a happy camper.

Riviera123

So no Dome over Hempy Foam cups ?

So no Dome over Hempy Foam cups ?

Just to verify then Bird . I dont need a dome over the hempy foam cups

With the humidity above 70% nah you don't need a dome and actually would want some very light air flow. Any perlite should be fine really as long as it's not big super chunky perlite the same size of hydroton or something. If you find they are drying out often and have the room you can step up to bigger 12-20oz cups Wal-Mart has packs for like a dollar or two. Good luck I'll keep a eye on this thread in case you got anymore questions about this method.

One more thing that might help is to warm the feed water up to 80F or so and keep the whole setup around that temp. If your clone area's air temp is around that temp which is best then storing the water in that area will heat it up you want to avoid feeding them cold water.

Riviera123

Humidity very low here no where near 70 , so maybe a sandwich bag over the top if that sounds right. I also have a heat mat keeps it about 80 to 82 F maybe use that under perhaps

While 70% or around there is best I've cloned in as low as 40% with no issues as long as the cuttings were super healthy to start off with and I don't let the perlite get bone dry. Glad to help and will check back in every now and then have a good one