What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
For sure. It actually bothers me not to have the old gang around, or any new members that care enough to keep the thread going. I surfed the web a bit figuring I could fing them someplace, but had no luck!

admiralcornport

Panda... thanks... duh I should have thought of that, just didn't want to ruin the light.

landover... Looks good, i think I'll do the same thing. how far can you run the light from the newly made balast?

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Pipedream said:
For sure. It actually bothers me not to have the old gang around, or any new members that care enough to keep the thread going. I surfed the web a bit figuring I could fing them someplace, but had no luck!
Can't consider me "the old gang" really. I was just an avid lurker in OG 150w thread. But reading is always just as fun as participating. Where you guys at?

Last edited:

twilson

I made my own version of NGBoy's cabinet.

It's made completely out of sheetrock except for the door which has sheetrock laminated to it. This makes it very fire resistant not to mention that it's cheaper than plywood and much easier to seal (if you know how to tape drywall).

I have a 150 e-conolight in an air cooled hood i built myself and a 180 cfm hydrofarm blower running at 48% of full voltage through a auto transformer (probably the best speed controller you could ever use since almost nothing can go wrong with it).

I grow 2 plants in promix. My first grow resulted in close to 4 ounces. My second was half of that cause i didn't know you had to replace the 150's on every grow. Now they are back up to approx 4 ounces for every harvest.

I use no carbon filter. All odor is exhausted into the attic and i have had no problem with smell just by using the negative air pressure method.

Because of security reasons i don't have a mother box which means everything is done in one box. After i harvest (being sure to leave about 10% of foliage on each plant) i switch back to 18/6. It takes about 7 weeks for the plants to produce enough shoots to where i can take cuttings for clones to start new plants. That means i go about 5 months between harvests but i never run out so i don't care.

The 150 watt bulb is the answer for anybody that wants to stop paying the rediculous prices in the north east of the US (100 bucks for a quarter of decent bud). The only thing my former dealer hears out of me these days is "no sale".

Whats really fun though is telling the guys with the 1000 watters that you are gonna grow using a 150. At first they busted out laughing. Then then assured me i would get a couple joints worth of worthless popcorn buds. Then i turned them on to some and they were blown away. They had to admit it was every bit as potent as their own.

I really believe that the interesting grows are the ones that try to push the limit with the small bulbs. Any fool can get a good harvest with the big bulbs

Last edited:

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
twilson said:
My second was half of that cause i didn't know you had to replace the 150's on every grow.
Since when? You mean you have to switch the bulb after every grow? I estimated that each grow should use about 2000 hours max, and that's considering you use the HPS for a veg going 18/6.

I also use the 150w econolight HPS, and it's bulb has a 24,000 hour life. So that means... change the bulb every 11 or 12 grows. Maybe ten to be on the safe side?

Where'd you hear you have to replace 150's after every grow?

twilson

I seen lots of posts with people sayin replace every few months. Pipedreams even says the same. I also have seen the difference with my own growing experience.

mtnjohn

Veteran
just wondering what kinda yeilds peeps are gettin' with their 150watters???

best i've done is a little over 3 1/2 oz. in a little over 2sq. ft.

Pipedream

Veteran
I change my bulb every few cycles and veg at 24/0. But at less than 5 bucks a bulb, its no biggie.

As far as yield goes, I average between 1 to 2 ounces per plant, but it usually leans towards the lower end. I grow 6 plants in a staggered harvest.

stevr59

5 bucks a bulb where did ya find them at, i was at home depot 2 days ago and there 150 was 21 bucks. if i could find em for 5 bucks i would change it every new grow. and for yeild i got 2 oz of prime bud and and 2 oz of shake off one plant. my clones are about ready so fixing to see what i can do with 2 plants this grow.

GanjaGoon

My closet grow

My closet grow

First time grower here - using 150w hps and some shoplites in my closet for 2 Nirvana NL X BB plants. They went through a lot of stress along the way (overferted early on, and later they had to be stored in the trunk of a car for 40 hours), but they have survived. These pics are from day 31 of flowering. Small buds, I know, but at least they survived. I guess most people use 150w hps for scrog or sog, and I just used it like you would use a higher power light. I think I let one of the plants get way too tall, and the 150w can't penetrate. Maybe that's the reason for the small buds.

twilson

Yeah those plants are way to tall for a 150.

Scrog or LST (basically just bending the plant over by tying) is what you need to do.

You'll probably do real good once you do that since your growth is great.

G

Hey ganjagoon. Yo dude, i got respect for you growing those bitches so tall with a 150. Don't sweat those popcorn buds, they will still get you high. Your main colas look pretty nice. Way yo go dude.

guanito

Hey everyone!
Glad I found ya!
My box is dormant for the time being but I'm still on da scene! hehe
This place ain't as easy to use as OG.
Thanks PD!
Nice electrical work there Panda!
Look'in good SGC!
Grow on.
Best regards!

GanjaGoon

Thanks for the encouragement. As long as it still gets me high, I'm fine with a small yield for the first time. I think next time I'll upgrade to a 400. The reason I didn't this time was I was worried about temps getting too high.

G

Yo GG you won't be dissappointed with a 400w. I started with a 150w and upgraded to a 400w for about 7 months. I went back to the 150w once my supply began to rise. Now i'm back to the 400cfm for good. Once i get excess i will bury it out in the woods and just keep an ounce or so in the house. Just buy a good inline fan (i use a 6" ~450w elicient on speed control. It works so well that my dad stood about 2 feet from my cab and didn't notice a thing), it's one of the best investments you'll make.

Sorry to be speaking evil words in here. 400w, what am i thinking? :joint:

Pipedream

Veteran
Hey, Guanito. Where you been dude?

Don't believe all of those "nay-sayers". A 150 with a bit of carefull planning can grow large fat buds on tall plants. I've been doing it for years. Here's a young lady that's over 3 feet tall and produced the 14" cola shown. Check out the link in my signature or my gallery for some more shots and info.

I buy my bulbs at flea markets. You can find them there all the time and run about $5 after bargining.

sugabear_II

Veteran
Pipedream said:

Hey pdb,

well you dragged me back out of hiding, again. Not so sure if it feels like home here - I imagine it will never feel the same again - that sense of community, naivete, and dare I say security are shattered, for a while at least.

hey guanito,

I'm glad to see you back around and doing well, my cab lies dormant, too :( . I pulled a harvest a few weeks after the OG debacle and gave some clones to some hermit friends for payback another day. I'm well set for med's but it's kinda hard to give up the gardening thing. maybe I'll put some veggies in there to pass the time... but I imagine it won't be the same - can you really scrog a tomato plant?

-suga

Latest posts

Latest posts