What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone good with fixing faucets?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Had to install a new kitchen sink faucet for elderly family.

After installing new one, water pulses like a machine gun. And leaks from side sprayer.

If I take side sprayer head off water comes out of that house fine.
If I put my finger over it and stop flow, then it comes out of sink correctly.

I don't get it.

And those fucking clips that attach hoses suck. I can't get them off without breaking them.

I thought maybe the new side sprayer head was to blame. Put on working old head from old faucet, and it does the exact same thing. Machine gun pulses and leaks where spray hose connects to spray head.

Yet my finger can stop the flow on bare connector, without leaking!!
Makes no sense. But I'm no plumber.

'Boogieman'

I'm a plumber and do hvac too, can you post a picture? First check that the rubber gasket is there usually inside the sprayer without it it will leak. Sometimes you can get bad parts, factory defects if the faucet came from a box store as they are rejects or just made cheap , a different universe sprayer might be the answer.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I'm going to check for a gasket. I installed as it was. I didn't unscrew sprayer head until it leaked.
But same thing when replaced with old sprayer head. I'm going to go check and try to get pics.

troutman

Seed Whore
The last time I tried playing plumber was at 3am and the firemen showed up after I pulled the fire alarm. :laughing:

What was going on is that my right tap on my bathroom sink leaked when I turned it on. It was a slow leak
and I figured if I took off the screw holding the knob that I could maybe install a gasket and put it back on.

Problem: If you live in a building and you don't turn off the water you end up with lots of water pressure.

Result: Just before the screw was undone, the pressure sent the screw up into the air, smashing my light
bulb with major water was spraying. I couldn't find the screw in the dark. So I pulled the fire alarm and
waited with my thumb where the screw went. The firemen bent the hose under the sink and duct taped
it. That stopped the flood.

The following morning I had to explain why I wanted to be an afterhours plumber to the property manager. :biggrin:

Tip #1: Shut the phucking water off before becoming a plumber. :tiphat:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
The last time I tried playing plumber was at 3am and the firemen showed up after I pulled the fire alarm. :laughing:

What was going on is that my right tap on my bathroom sink leaked when I turned it on. It was a slow leak
and I figured if I took off the screw holding the knob that I could maybe install a gasket and put it back on.

Problem: If you live in a building and you don't turn off the water you end up with lots of water pressure.

Result: Just before the screw was undone, the pressure sent the screw up into the air, smashing my light
bulb with major water was spraying. I couldn't find the screw in the dark. So I pulled the fire alarm and
waited with my thumb where the screw went. The firemen bent the hose under the sink and duct taped
it. That stopped the flood.

The following morning I had to explain why I wanted to be an afterhours plumber to the property manager. :biggrin:

Tip #1: Shut the phucking water off before becoming a plumber. :tiphat:

Lol

Good advice.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I have replaced faucets before, but this one is different. Usually this style has three tubing/pipes coming from faucet.
One for hot, one for cold, one for side sprayer.

This one has four. The three above plus an extra that attaches to a tee and loops back.

picture.php

This is the hose that the sprayer head attached to. The rubber gasket is between that beige plastic and the chrome.
picture.php

This pic shows sprayer head off - water on. Water coming out as you would expect. No machine gun pulses.
picture.php

This pic shows sprayer head on - water on. Water coming out of faucet is pulsing. Water is leaking from spray head.
picture.php

The only thing I can think of is that even though I thought I followed the directions, maybe those two plastic clip joints should be reversed?

I just don't know how to remove them without breaking the piece of shit plastic clips. I broke the old ones on the old faucet.
Probably some tool they make specifically for removing the clips. I can't pry both sides with a screwdriver at the same time while holding the tubing still. I need an octopus.

They don't make things to last.

The "old" faucet was installed 4 years ago when this little suite was built. It had a crack the whole length of the spout neck.

Hookahhead

I did some quick Google fu for you...

https://www.fixya.com/support/t6196870-when_turn_faucet_water_sputters
When I turn on the faucet, the water "sputters" and hammers, getting worse as I increase the flow. If I turn on the faucet while turning on the spray nozzle, there is no sputtering and no hammering.

Answer:
Your problem is a simple one.

Turn off water to faucet.
Place a towel(s) in the base of the sink(s) to prevent any parts from going down drain.
Remove the handle to the faucet. (single handle only)

If not a single handle then remove spout from faucet. If a single handle remove cap carefully and any loose parts. Gently turn spout side to side while lifting to remove.

You will see a hole with a very small valve where the water comes out to the spout on the base of the faucet.

Remove this valve (which is a backflow preventer) and replace.
Reassemble and test.
Problem solved!
c262d3c.jpg

The USUAL cause of this is the diverter valve that channels the water to the sprayer. There are several types of these so search for yours in google to find a blow-up drawing of it. They are usually in the tower the spout swings on and sometimes are a pintle valve like a little rod with dumbells on the ends. Crud can make them not seat then they will cause the hammering.

'Boogieman'

What hookahhead said, it's either a factory defect diverter or something is stuck inside it.

Don't unclip the supply lines underneath the sink if it's not leaking your good. Once those clips break your screwed.

The sprayer is only leaking due to a higher pressure than the gasket can handle and the diverter causes this, it won't leak once you either clean the diverter or replace it.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
There were storms nearby that knocked out area internet.
Now they are saying if it's messed up from factory they don't want it.

Only problem is I'm sure those clips will break. I hope home Depot will take it back. I hate making a scene.

Boogie- you ever seen four pipes instead of the normal three?

'Boogieman'

Those clips will break unless your very careful. You shouldn't need to take them apart though. The diverter is inside the faucet not the supply lines. Figure out how to take the top off and get to the guts where the diverter is. I have seen 4 supply lines, it has nothing to do with the problem though.

Some diverters can be taken out without taking anything apart. What is the brand of the faucet? Delta is the easiest faucet to install and good quality too, is the one your dealing with a moen? Moen faucets are a bitch to deal with.

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Thanks to all your help. This morning I go over there and they want a different faucet anyway!

One where the sprayer is built in to the main spout.

Hopefully this will go smoothly