What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gala, golden delicious, pink lady, grannies

Hubbleman

Veteran
What do above have in common??
There all strains of apples.
And why apples are important?
Cos cows like em.
And if cows are happy and have variet diet they make very rich manure.
And cows manure is the best fertiliser.
And everyone knows good fert = good weed! :pointlaug

Green Squall

I wonder if cows would eat crab apples? My neighbor has a tree, yet they all fall onto my property, attracting a shitload of yellow jackets in the process. I usually avoid that area when mowing the lawn.

T

Teddybrae

All of this is true in my experience.

Hell ... at 25 degrees S where I live there are vast citrus orchards ... and guess what? the local cattles learn to eat citrus.

(I say 'cattles' because cattle farmers get upset when anyone calls their Steers 'Cows' which of course are female cattles. So I, a humble worker in metal, whenever I have to speak to a cattle grower about his beasts, sez: "... them cattles".)

Oh ... I think I went off thread ... cheers!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran

Hmmmm...yes, I am partial to a Granny Smith apple on a daily basis, hard and tart/sweet, but I am certainly not a cow...

*...ehh, hold on while I check for udders.

maybe some bright spark/grower out there could start a thread entitled 'Grown in Human Manure?'....I would be happy to donate, lol.

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
apple are important because is the first form of alcol in america(sidro)
best manure its by horses.

T

Teddybrae

I have it from an ancient and certainly very wise old Woman cattle farmer (we don't call them Ranchers here) who used to live off-grid and ride in a horse cart to town and grow her own food THAT: there is very little difference in terms of performance between cow and horse. Cow has more phosphates available but not much. Cheers!

shithawk420

Veteran
well yeah,if they eat the same food its probably not too much different.its probably all in the diet

ronbo51

Veteran
I love apples. When I lived in Maine I sold apples and cider for a few years at farmers markets. I had a neighbor that had an orchard. All modern hybrids except for macs and winesap and a few other more old timey apples. I like the crosses with golden delicious even though I hate golden d itself. Gala, Honeycrisp are just reliably good, never mealy. If you know the apples were immediately refrigerated after harvest then the mac hybrids have that sharper more complex flavor. A mix of mac and gala cider was money in the bank. Give out samples, folks would buy. A lot like real Vermont fancy syrup.

When I moved to Virginia the apples were different. Mostly muddy flavored. I think the heat drove out the terpenes. You cannot compete with the near freezing cold nights of fall in New England to sharpen that flavor profile and drive up the sugars.

ronbo51

Veteran
Also, when I was a kid we had crab apple wars. They were just enough to sting you but not enough to hurt you, so all in all a pretty good way for some boys to have some fun.

shithawk420

Veteran
lol i just remembered my neighbor would throw apples at semi tucks.i never did.anyway he got lucky one day and hit a truck driver in the face almost causeing an accident.boy was he pissed.he called the cops but nobody really got in trouble.boy he got him square in the face.i know it had to hurt

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
If you compost horse poo it's great to add to straw for a few shroom bins.

I'm going to assume that composting horse manure would render it more available to plants.

Hubbleman

Veteran
Just been watching Geordie Shore.... they in Australia... producer brought em to a horse farm and asked them to gather horse manure... they were like: WTF!! And farmer said we sell this manure to gardeners !! :pointlaug:

they were like ahhhhhhhh / ohhhhhhh

Latest posts

Latest posts