What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MY BHO yielded over 1.5 oz!!!

BigClunke

anyway you could shoot me the OG link? would using some silk screen mesh insted of a coffee filter improve quality?

crunks

hey im getting the honey bee extractor..any tips on methods of using it...and any idea where i can get good butane in the USA???

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
a little write up for ya....

a little write up for ya....

here you go...

I will give tips and tricks I have managed to glean/ pick up over the last few years.
First and very important to consider is the nature of butane gas and liquid. It doesn’t take a very large concentration of butane gas in an area before it can be ignited by flame , sparks, or anything else of that nature( lawnmower exhaust even, perhaps>?<), so its wisest to do outdoors and there is no way I would recommend anything but that… butane gas sinks, so in a room in a house for example it will pool on the floor, unless it is ventilated out of the area… better to just avoid invisible pools of explosive gas, and do it outside only eh?
Ok what one does, is to acquire a quantity of marijuana product. Stems are not really any good, as well as leaves devoid of trichomes; butane mainly dissolves trichomes, it seems from observation, so in order to get a good yield / quality its nice to use good material. I often use pure bud. Bud gives the tastiest and nicest colored oil, although close trim leaves yield a product very similar in potency. It is also possible to screen or otherwise collect kif from large quantities, and extract from it.
In one quick blurb here is the whole shebang; you take a tube of glass or stainless, preferably, stuff it full of weed and run butane through with a filter on the exit end to keep the weed in, into a glass collection dish and evaporate it sitting in a dish of hot water, and then you have a film of oil on the glass you scrape up with a razor blade and purge the butane out of, and you are done. The particular method I use for purging gives me a whole extraction time of under half an hour, although there are other methods and beliefs….
Ok now step by step, no rushing….its nice like that though all in one sentence. It can be referred to if you get confused as to the overall procedure at any time.
First off, you need a tube. Smaller diameter is better, so a tube with a ½ inch diameter is more efficient than a tube with an inch diameter. I use a tube approx ¾ of an inch in diameter, as it was handy and any thinner it would be a chore to empty as well. Smaller tube diameter allows more complete saturation of the medium, as well as greater flow rate of butane through the medium which seems beneficial for effective extracting.
The tricky part of getting a good tube is having a good entrance hole for the butane nozzle. Butane gas always comes in a can with a tip that is a certain size(for lighters), so making an end cap that a butane can be inserted into and depressed is the key. Several solutions have been used, ranging from copper tubes with an end cap attached that you can drill a proper size hole into, to glass turkey basters that have a nice size end naturally, to stainless turkey basters now, which are quite easy to rig up, I hear. My solution isn’t really feasible for most, I used to be into mountain bikes bigtime, and I take parts from them to use for other things, such as extraction tubes.
PVC tubing has been said to be bad, and I would shy away from it, but I have seen evidence from someone that rigid PVC is perfectly acceptable. Do your own research if you don’t use glass or steel, is my advice.
Ok lets suppose you have a tube that you can insert a butane nozzle in to one end of… you want it to be leak proof around the edge of your tube at the top. The tube doesn’t have to be straight; turkey basters taper usually. Don’t use tape to seal leaks, you may leach tape glue into your oil.
So you have a tube, fill it with your extractables. I have a tube witch holds about 10 – 14 grams, and another that holds about 25-35 grams. You don’t need to fill the tube completely, but it seems best for efficient extractions to put the product in there a bit snugly. I don’t recommend grinding up your extracting medium too fine, as you will get a greener less tasty oil almost for sure. Sometimes I use whole buds, then I re-extract from them, after grinding them up in order to get all the goodness (especially if it cost me money). Other times I cut them up coarsely, or just break them up by hand into little pea sized chunks. Leaf is like whatever.. just cram it in.
So now you have a tube with weed product in it, you will want to cap the exit end. At the exit end of your tube you want to attach a minimum of one coffee filter circle. I cut them from white coffee filter papers, (brown would be better probly, no dioxins…). I make it about an inch in diameter larger than the tube. I use two actually, and there are occasions where the filter papers can rip. Uneven packing is the main culprit; don’t pack tightly at the entrance end, then loosely down the tube, the extracting medium can shift suddenly and blow out. If one is worried about this, use a steel mesh safety screen, such as tea strainer material. I have had blowouts more times than I can remember, and one time I got two eyefuls of oil laden butane…. Not pleasant I must say.
Next, get a steel hose clamp, for most tube types, and fold the filters over the exit end and use the hose clamp to hold them on. Tighten the hose clamp, no doubt. I am not sure all the methods use to hold the filter on for different tube types, just remember you don’t want to extract any glues from tape etc….
I use one can of colibri (300 ml) butane for about 9 grams of quality marijuana. I have access to lots of butane, so I use lots to fully extract from my product. Others use less, I would too if I had immense quantities of marijuana. There is a list at keen marketing…http://www.keen-newport.com/ourBenchmark.htm which lists types manufactured to a certain purity standard; most butane oil makers recommend using only quality butane, as additives and impurities in low quality butane may be inhaled….
Now is the dangerous part of extracting, first running the butane through the marijuana, and then second evaporating it off. Its easy to put the butane through. Just hold the tube vertical with one hand, with a protective mitt (tube freezes), and insert the butane tip and depress, letting the whole can go through without stopping. Put a glass dish under to catch it. I use a pyrex pie plate. You can go slower, and stop and start, to try and slow down the butane’s progress through the weed, but it makes little difference.
Now you have a dish of liquid butane, and this is the most dangerous moment… for if this were to ignite, the fast and furious fireball would probably burn off all your exposed body hair… etc..etc…. lets just not go there….! You need to evaporate off the butane, and easiest id to get a frying pan or what fits well to go under your dish of butane, in order to double boiler style remove the butane. I use hot water from the tap as I think boiling water is detrimental somehow to the easy removal of all the butane, but its open for debate. It seems hot water is better than boiling.. do your own tests if you want.
Keep this dish outside, and evaporate it off with NO OPEN FLAME ETC! nearby. – a barbecue would be bad too I bet…

i will cut n paste more info too haha...:tup:

great post kut. does anyone know of an online place to by the right tubes or turkey baster that already has a hole in it. I can ge the best butane at lavabutane.com

I will have a crop in a month and I really want to do this. It is hard to get out of the house due to my illness.

crunks

this is prolly obvious but...the honey bee oil extractor....its qavailable everywhere....i think even canabis culture mag has it...check it out.....i just oredered one..ill let u know how it works if i dont blow myself up

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
they work but dont watch the video.. full of errors i think. try and get honey bee to tell you what its made out of....

Einsteinguy

MexiMelt

MexiMelt

Thanks Hashmasta
followed your instructions with help from martha Stewart.
Used 3/4 mexiswag(alot around here) Got 1g Killer oil.
Man this is old school. Haven't tasted that since 70's.

Einstein:D

G

The Honeybee Extractor works wonderfully. I read HashMasta and Pfife's posts religiously but didn't have the cajones to make an extractor so I went ahead and bought one last year. I'm planning to build an extractor now that I've done extractions, but until then the HB Extractor works perfectly. I wonder if maybe it restricts the amount of BHO that get through since the filter is covered with only about 10 holes in the top. Thanx for the post Hashmasta, it answered some questions I had also.