What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's A Good Sealant That Won't Off Gas???

RetroGrow

Veteran
Title says it all. Looking for sealant that won't off gas. Had a major off gassing issue with "Great Stuff", so that's out.

the gnome

Veteran
i used great stuff in the last stages of my sealed room build and had no probs with offgassing.

how much used and how long are the 2 factors.
you can also paint it and seal it after it cures for a day

RetroGrow

Veteran
i used great stuff in the last stages of my sealed room build and had no probs with offgassing.

how much used and how long are the 2 factors.
you can also paint it and seal it after it cures for a day

Any special paint to seal it with?

Miraculous Meds

I use great stuff all the time. If ur space is really confined then I can see a prob but if u have good airflow and can vent for the first day u should be able to use it. I use painters caulk too. But im never in a confined space situation.

RonSmooth

Veteran
Is "off-gassing" really even a thing?

Id like to think that a product whose fumes were enough to kill surrounding vegetation would not have made it to market in the USA.

devilgoob

Veteran
Off-gassing is a thing, but if there aren't enough present, or it's not potent enough against the plant, it won't do much.

There was a problem with hoses giving off something, and the plants were sick for everyone involved using that product. You can find the thread somewhere on here, but a lot of people were helped, because they were growing properly, but getting half-yields of sickly plants compared to what they used to.

VOC compliant, doesn't mean it doesn't give stuff off. It's like the rate of release for asthma and medical things. It could still effect a plant.

Cannabis produces VOC's themselves, and as long as it's not toxic to the plant, which I don't think it is, it might stimulate it. Same with latex paint, and it is a rubber seal. It's just like a wound gooping up with co-agulated blood. This is what you get when you chop certain plants - milky latex. I've played with it, and it turns brown as it oxidizes and becomes hard. It's pretty natural!

The chemical is explained in this thread a little, there was a bigger thread with 57 helpfuls, explaining a person troubleshooting everything. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=189167

the gnome

Veteran
Is "off-gassing" really even a thing?

Id like to think that a product whose fumes were enough to kill surrounding vegetation would not have made it to market in the USA.

yup.. as said above it's a thing,
and lots of things kill plants
there's thousands of man made things that offgass to 1 degree or another.
it's everywhere in nature too,
the entire planet is in a constant state of offgassing, with volcano's, even the ocean offgasses Co2
heck,eat a big bowl of pinto beans, your offgassing will kill a plant if concentrated enuff :smoke:

RonSmooth

Veteran
Right. I understand the state of matter but are there commercially available products that would kill plants in the same room?

Especially a product marketed to amateurs?

A manufacturing error is one thing but I'd be more worried about getting struck by lightning.

Granger2

Veteran
If you're trusting government agencies to protect us from such things, don't. All government agencies are lead by industry insiders who will return to their corporations after serving. Look at the Dept of Ag. The Board is loaded with Monsanto heads that will return to Monsanto or other Chem Giants when their time is up. That's why our food is now being sprayed with RoundUp. That's why our food is contaminated with systemic insecticides like Neonicotinoids incl Imidochloprid. Soon they will be spraying food crops with 2,4-D. Good luck. -granger

amannamedtruth

Veteran
I've always used great stuff in my room, but just for sealing holes in walls and stuff. What are you trying to seal? Drywall?