What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Root Plugs!!!!! Love Them!!!!!Worth a look!!!!

DJXX

Veteran
just a heads up on this product. These are Botinacare's Cocogro Root Plugs...i used to use Root Riots but these blow them away...my cuts look like they were cut today and they are 8 days old...the roots are flying also...DJXX
picture.php

DeoXy

just a heads up on this product. These are Botinacare's Cocogro Root Plugs...i used to use Root Riots but these blow them away...my cuts look like they were cut today and they are 8 days old...the roots are flying also...DJXX
View Image

Nice roots there DJXX!... they look to be pretty stress free.. how would you compare them to something like rapid rooters made of composted tree bark? I've heard of cloning in coco b4 but never seen actual ready to use plugs in the shop.. might have to look into it on next trip.

DJXX

Veteran
Nice roots there DJXX!... they look to be pretty stress free.. how would you compare them to something like rapid rooters made of composted tree bark? I've heard of cloning in coco b4 but never seen actual ready to use plugs in the shop.. might have to look into it on next trip.
they aren't quite as dense...more spongey like...more airy..the roots are a third fatter...DJXX

dabking

Looking good there. Do you pre rinse? They had a hard time going through my pre wash/ soak. Didn't hold together to well. I rinse/ soak the root riot cubes in bc roots for sanitary reasons. I didn't notice a difference in rooting time. If my mothers are happy I normally have roots in 5 days.

fulltimehuman

I love botanicare coco so figures as much. Roots shoot right up out the top of botanicare and Ive never seen that before.

DJXX

Veteran
Looking good there. Do you pre rinse? They had a hard time going through my pre wash/ soak. Didn't hold together to well. I rinse/ soak the root riot cubes in bc roots for sanitary reasons. I didn't notice a difference in rooting time. If my mothers are happy I normally have roots in 5 days.
just put em in well water for like 20 min...i don't use the gels..i use the cheap powder from Home Depot...it has just as much active hormone as the expensive gels....the powder doesn't mush them as bad as the gels..my success rate doubled after switching to the powder...DJXX

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
park seed has something called a biosponge that i use and that looks like your cube

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey DJ..

Once you have the cuts in the plugs, what do u do? Just keep em moist in a dome?

:tiphat:

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cloning in coco rules, So far I was using coco pellets ( like the reglar peat jiffys, but made of coco) but the coco keeps falling out the bottom and just trickles away, so this might be the thing I'm looking for... trying eazy plugs but not sure about them yet..

thanks for the post man

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
DJXX

I use RR's....I assume you have used them as well. Do you see a rooting time and vigor difference with these botanicare plugs.

Thanks for the thread.

Very interesting.

TpM

PS I also use BONTONE rooting powder from Home De Pot .... Thanks to Krunch!

S

sourpuss

@marlo ive done it in coco no dome... raw..... pretty sure most do it raw in coco.... but im sure a dome would work... was actually next best method to a bubbler for me.. nice find there dj, and lush roots!

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Looking good!!!! I really like the looks of those plugs....gonna have to give them a shot. Those roots look nice.....what strain is that clone?

S

Stonyherbs

I really like this thread. I am growing in soil and hope to make them the mothers. Most cloning is not in dirt. I like this idea. I am going to use it for my mothers clones. A+++
:smoke out:

RespectGreen

Veteran
Love these been on em since they were testing the product. I leave just a slight bit of water in the bottom and the roots are fast and luscious :)

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
i don't use the gels..i use the cheap powder from Home Depot...DJXX

Amen to that! Might have got my powder at Lowes but its all the same.

Whats the cost for how many? Don't know if Id switch, get my RRs on the DL from a dude at the manufacturing plant. $10 for 50 - even got 100 once for $10. Shit, dude showed up with a trash bag full one time.

Snow Crash

Veteran
I just finished my first round of cloning using these and I was extremely unimpressed versus Rapid Rooters.

Firstly, I got them totally dry. They had to be rehydrated. I filled the tray with water, pouring it over the cubes until it was full. The cubes floated. I had to push them down into the water but then they'd just float back up. I allowed it to soak for 24 hours and the tops of about 1/2 the plugs were still dry as a bone (aka, poor wicking).

Secondly, the holes I found them to have were too shallow. I had to go through every cube with my scalpel so that my stems would be in contact with the material. This was time consuming.

Thirdly, I allowed a little water to remain in the bottom of the tray. This was a terrible idea. Due to the poor wicking the bottom of the plugs stayed completely saturated. This rotted out several clones, while other still managed to root higher up on the stem. I cannot leave water in the tray, but I would also have to pour water over them almost daily to prevent them from becoming uneven in their moisture.

The plants that did root, rooted well with extremely healthy looking new shoots. After 1 try with these plugs I learned a few things and would definitely approach them differently. While I think the product itself is not bad, it is my opinion that the rapid rooters are still a superior product.

DJXX

Veteran
Amen to that! Might have got my powder at Lowes but its all the same.

Whats the cost for how many? Don't know if Id switch, get my RRs on the DL from a dude at the manufacturing plant. $10 for 50 - even got 100 once for $10. Shit, dude showed up with a trash bag full one time.
I bought em on Ebay for $36 free shipping...i'll put up pics tonight of both plugs and the difference in root size..DJXX