What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Light leaking during vegetative dark hours

:tiphat:

So I designed a tent with for vegetative/clones only and it's all going to be all passive ventilation.

The light regime will be 18/6, and due to stealth concerns I will have to have the roofplastic not always covering the tent during the lights off. This is because I cannot tend my grow all the time.

So I know for a fact that light leakage during bloom is a NO-No, but during vegetative phase I have heard several opinions, so I want to have some more qualified opinions from you good people.

And further more, is it a qualified guess that feminized seeds would be more sensitive that regular of weak light leakage during vegetative phase.

:thank you:

mrcreosote

Veteran
I've accidentally left my grow closet door open in my den with a desk lamp on and wandered away and forgot about it on a number of occasions after the girls naptime (even overnight more times than I want to admit to). Never hurt a thing. No hermies at all even with femmed seed clones. Different strains, no matter.
Either I'm very lucky or the whole light leak deal in flower is highly over rated. Granted its only a 60w equiv. cfl and the door was 1/3 open but there was definitely light getting in there.
A whole buncha jars come out of that closet and never a seed.
If I'm not getting hermies in flower you should be okay with leaks in veg.

Good to hear folks.

Just popped 3 beans for a long veg, will be as long as my flower period, 10 weeks.. I have never vegged for this long before.. I'm excited :)

Do you think I should put in some CFL's along with me LED 120w unit to give a better spectra of light for my vegging plants?

And one more question, has anyone seen negative results from gradually decrease light hours from 24/0 to 18/6?

BrownThumb

More light is better, 6500K in the case of veg and CFL. There would not be a problem with gradually decreasing the light cycle, but that is a waste, is it not? Just veg and cut the cycle to 13/11 unless you're doing a Sativa that might be a problem, in that case go 12/12. I have mostly always done 24/0 then 12/12, but now I am doing 18/6 (economic consideration) and 13/11.

Im no expert in growing, but I like to think Im fairly versed in common sense. In nature, there is RARELY a period with absolutely no light (moon) so why should there be zero light leaking into your grow room? I mean, dont turn your lights on to do maintenance during the dark cycle, but I honestly dont see the big deal. I try to mimic nature as much as possible with my grow so I dont sweat the lights leaks as long as they are small

@Browthumb : your absolutely right, more wattage is better, but also the cause is to give the ladies some "warmer" light for a more stretchy growth, I think LED are making my plants too squat. And due to the more wattage I'd like to keep the electricity bill down a bit. I found a old timer that works and the seedlings are currently under 18/6.

@Leathermonster: Sure in natures there is rarely completely dark. But my thought is also that these genetics that I'm growing has been bred several generations with top-notch controlled enviroment, surely no light leaks @ the breeders labatory. So I thought may the offspring maybe is extra sensitive for leakage and light stress?

@OldSSSCGuy & Cale MedPatient : hmm... are there any indications that clones would perform better with a specific light regimen?

:tiphat:

@Leathermonster: Sure in natures there is rarely completely dark. But my thought is also that these genetics that I'm growing has been bred several generations with top-notch controlled enviroment, surely no light leaks @ the breeders labatory. So I thought may the offspring maybe is extra sensitive for leakage and light stress?

Its possible, but they are still plants and Im thinking a few years of breeding cant undo tens of thousands of years of evolution. My guess would be to look elsewhere for your solution. I doubt light leaks is your issue. Are you duplicating the breeders conditions precisely?

Its possible, but they are still plants and Im thinking a few years of breeding cant undo tens of thousands of years of evolution. My guess would be to look elsewhere for your solution. I doubt light leaks is your issue. Are you duplicating the breeders conditions precisely?

Well, your opinion sure seems more logical about the evolution of cannabis. And I don't have any issues, it just asked a coupla questions before making a decision. Everything is running smooth here :woohoo:

:thank you:

St3ve

I also run my cloner on 24/7 light in the same room as my veg plants that are on 20/4. Never had an issue..

Latest posts

Latest posts