What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HELP with "Easy" Roller Yo Yo Light Hangers!

I can't figure out how to hook these things up. Mine did not come with any instructions as in the pic below.

1) Which end do I connect to my reflector? The string end? How? Am I supposed to tie it? Hope not, because I'm no boyscout! ;)

2) Then how do I connect the other end the right way, so I can hang the light from my 2 X 4 tent?

Sorry, but my old light came with proprietary hangers so I never learned how to use these things.

Adjustable-YoYo-Easy-Roller-Grow-Light-Reflector-Hanger.jpg

I

Iffy-Caradoc

I bought a pair of them mate for my 'mother' tent and one of them won't stay locked, don't matter how hard you do up the wing-nut. It's on the lighter end of the reflector but it won't stay down. Had to put a clothes peg on it in the end! I think they're shit so for my heavier 'cooltubes', I've bought the 'ratchet' type adjusters. They are really pukkha! Great build quality & no fuckin around with wing-nuts!
I couldn't figure out what those plastic rings on the threaded ends are for? Basically I fiited some eye hooks in the ceiling and hooked on the rollers. The strings go down to the hangers on your light reflectors. I recommend you tie them to snap clips (like on a dog lead) and attatch them to the lights.
Hope this helps.

I

Iffy-Caradoc

I can't figure out how to hook these things up. Mine did not come with any instructions as in the pic below.

1) Which end do I connect to my reflector? The string end? How? Am I supposed to tie it? Hope not, because I'm no boyscout! ;)

2) Then how do I connect the other end the right way, so I can hang the light from my 2 X 4 tent?

Sorry, but my old light came with proprietary hangers so I never learned how to use these things.

View Image

Yeah, for a tent fitting, you should tie the top hooks to your top bars in the tent.

vukman

Veteran
Hi:

I guess all I can do is show you what I did.. I used tie straps to attach them onto the top of the tent.....Then used the hooks on the bottom to attach onto the lights.

IMPORTANT:

Twisting the butterfly nut will only add to downward tension. The spring will always pull the string/rope back into the spool!! Once you attach the yo-yo and add weight to the bottom, that is how you adjust the drawing tension.......

Check out the pics...:).......

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The nuts are on the eyebolts only so I don't misplace them..:)

Good Luck.....I hope this helped

gonzo`

flip that reflector over.. where those two black dots are is where you want to attach an easy roll.. ideally.. my reflector comes with holes or hooks.. doesn't look like your one has any.. gonna be tricky dude unless you modify it..

vukman

Veteran
take the 'eyebolts'..the things with the nuts on them....take a nut off and slip the bolt through the hole there, put the nut back on..do that to both holes............then you tie the string onto the eyebolts

picture.php

but first attach the yo-yo to the tent

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Don't over tighten the wing nut..it'll surely fubar the yo-yos.

The goal with these things is to hang your reflector..and then find the 'sweet spot' where you can raise and lower the reflector and it'll stay where you put it. The wing nuts get adjusted once if the light wants to creep down on you.. but not adjusted there after. The string will always want to retract into the yo-yo regardless of setting without the weight of the reflector.. this is how they are supposed to be.

That said.. I think your wing might be too lightweight to work good with the yo-yos. I could be wrong, but hang it and see if you can raise and let go to see if it will stay.. or pull down and let go to see if it'll stay. You can try adjusting the nut if not to see if you can find a spot where the reflector will stay put wherever you place it.

Constant adjusting of the nut is not how they work.. tightening too tight will screw em' up.

In short.. Yo-Yos suck.. and I cannot believe they've been around this long in the industry. I'll take chain or rope ratchets over them any day of the week. I've got boxes filled with these yo-yos and don't use them.

If you need to go all the way up and hug the upper end of your space good luck. I've always found that they would creep down an inch or two before tension kept them from coming any lower...or they'll plain up lose their tension and drop all the way down into the canopy. With your wing it might just want to retract and pick up the wing regardless of wing nut adjustment..

PS - make sure you take that blue film off your wing. I know.. I know.. goes without saying..or at least so I thought before I witnessed a few instances where people have left it on and turned it into a melted mess. If you do this.. its not the reflectors fault. ;)

gonzo`

i think the easy rolls are great.. will never go back to chains unless i get heavier reflectors.. they just too easy :D

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
i have 25 pairs of these... they suck buy ratchet straps for it and call it a day... -=]

You guys rock. Thanks a bunch. Yeah these things feel cheap as fuck, but they came with the light. I figure I should at least *ATTEMPT* to use them. I might look for chains instead, as one of you suggested in another thread.

I

Iffy-Caradoc

You guys rock. Thanks a bunch. Yeah these things feel cheap as fuck, but they came with the light. I figure I should at least *ATTEMPT* to use them. I might look for chains instead, as one of you suggested in another thread.

Don't bother with chains either, buy the 'ratchet' type hangers. They're so easy & QUIET.
Good luck mate :tiphat:

N

noyd666

hi ,fuck the chains:moon: rattle, rattle ,bloody clank , bloody clank got 12 yo yos' one gives me bloody shits:tumbleweed: one was stuffed when it arrived .yer go ratchet ,:blowbubbles:

irobot sd

Agreed I have these laying in junk boxes or trashed. They will break where that light grey eyelet hole is on top. Every now & again a yoyo doesn't want to hold tight either and can loose slack. Chains are better ratchet ropes are best.

Binarylogic

Heya,

Just thought I'd chime in too.

I have a set of those yoyo's too and used them with a very similar reflector to the OP. The reflector wasn't heavy enough to make the yoyo's "catch" so it would just rise to the top. I got around it by pulling down on the reflector (to the desired height) and then tightening the wing nut.

Used them for two grows, then got a nice high quality air cooled reflector.

Enter Chains.... The hydro shop I goto recommended I use chains in my tent with my new reflector. So I did. -AND HATED EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF IT-. They're loud (i'm in a tent), difficult to get in the right position and once you do - a headache and a half to raise / lower the reflector. I still have them but they sit in a box gathering dust.

Ratchet / Rope Hangers:

The buck stops here. They're silent, infinitely adjustable, easy to hang, and are reasonably cheap. (Trust me if you're using chains or yoyo's - the $20-30 you'll spend on a set of these are worth EVERY PENNY!)

The only thing that i'm not so hot on is - Rope is poreus (IE: it can hold/absorb liquid like bug spray, water, etc). But if you're an enterprising individual you can go down to your local "outdoors" store with a bit of the old rope - and get either the same or even better quality rope for a few dollars - then just thread the rope through the ratchet like it was before.

Latest posts

Latest posts