What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GAVITA Pro 1000 DE

TacomaComa

ICMag Donor
Setup my Gavita today and very impressed all around.

I would love to hear other peoples opinions and or experiences.

Features & Benefits
Full fixture only for 1000W 400V Double Ended EL lamps
No acoustic resonance
Up to 8% more grow light
Light maintenance after 5000 hrs > 95%
Available as full fixture or remote ballast
Adjustable to 600/660/750/825/1000/1150 watt
System design and concept by GAVITA
Sealed housing (Class I) with Gore-Tex ventilation plug
Microprocessor controlled
Professional UV resistant rubber wiring
Very low heat dissipation and optimal cooling
Driver efficiency at full power 95-96%
UL Listed
Specifications
Input Voltage: 240-277 Volt
Input Current: 4.42A at 240V
Input Power: 1060 Watt
Input Current: 5.06A at 240V
Input Power: 1220 Watt
Power Factor: > 0.98
Input Frequency: 50-60 Hz
Output Connection: IEC C14, power cable 10 ft with 240V plug
Dimensions: 22.3"/567mm (length) x 9.4”/240mm (width) x 13,4”/341mm (height)
Case Temp. (°C): 20 - 50°C
Reflector Material: HortiStar HR 96 1000 DE in bracket, Miro aluminum
Light Source: Philips GP TD EL 1000W
Luminous Flux: 138.000 Lumens (indicative)
PPF: >2000 μmol/sec

picture.php

picture.php

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The second set of current and power is that when your running it at 1150w?

whazzup

Veteran

The second set of current and power is that when your running it at 1150w?
yes, that is correct. The ballast overhead is about 70W for the 1000W Pro ballast. That is all that is going to dissipate from the ballast. The 600W is even more efficient, with only about 35W of overhead. After a day you can still lay your cheek to it.

Congratulations with you new purchase :)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
found some more pics. Thats a good size power cable. I was looking at the 600 but it does not have adjustable wattage like the 1000

gallery_4165_2354_968183.jpg

gallery_4165_2354_2297483.jpg

whazzup

Veteran
pity it is hanging horizontal though, it is recommended to hang it vertical ;). That's why the print is inverted on the plate (so you can still read it hanging). Hanging vertical the air will move up through the cooling ribs, which will result in a much cooler ballast. Electronics like to be cool. They tend to be more reliable when cool.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How would you hang that vertically. The reflector and some other stuff looks like it would need to be removed

Azeotrope

Veteran
whazzup meant to hang the ballast vertically to facilitate convection. Then the natural convection would draw cold air up both sides of the ballast in parallel with and through the heat dissapating fins.

Bob-Zilla

Excellent investment Tacoma,the most efficient and brightest fixtures available today.I look forward to replacing my magnetics to these Gavita 1k's this year.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
grats on the new Gavita, was looking into buying some of those too for a while, but
as far as i was told by my wholesale guy, the gavita is made for them by philips, i recently got some of these 600 watt from philips and they are the best quality fixture i have ever seen. the cooling fins are thick heavy duty and don't even feel warm, you can even touch the top of the reflector right above the bulb and it's just warm, the whole fixture is much lighter then magnetic ballasts. really happy i got them. totally silent too.

I

Iron_Lion

How would you hang that vertically. The reflector and some other stuff looks like it would need to be removed

I dont think you can use them vertically because they use a special Phillips EL double ended bulb. Gav's sound badass but a few things I dont like about them is that they cant be used vertically, they're not air cooled (because it cuts down the output) so you have to have A/C or air cooling in the room, and the reflectors are supposed to be replaced once a year. Bulbs are pretty expensive too at $165 USD and Im sure I cant find them locally. Maybe in a few years when the price drops I'll look into them for a new light.

Here is the bulb

Philips%20SONTD%20Greenpower%201000.jpg

whazzup

Veteran
The electronics and lamp of the Pro 600 are made by philips, the fixture and reflector are by Gavita. The Pro 1000 electronics however are Gavita.

Indead I meant the ballast vertical for cooling :)

Iron-Lion you just take a lamp on stock. Or you order through the net. It's not only the Gavita reflector you should replace once every year or two years. That counts for almost all reflectors (it's just that people don't do it). The costs are not an issue if you understand how fast you break even on these. I know growers are not always handy investors but you can easily calculate how fast 10-30% more light for the same electricity pays back for the extra investment in yield. Unless you are growing lettuce of course, then it takes a bit longer ;)

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
so you saying cleaning the reflector is not enough? how can it need replacing every year, it's metal? mucho interesting, 20 to 30% light loss from just the reflector being old is far out. i mean we know bulbs need changing, but reflectors? i always just gave them a good wipe down every few months.

I

Iron_Lion

so you saying cleaning the reflector is not enough? how can it need replacing every year, it's metal? mucho interesting, 20 to 30% light loss from just the reflector being old is far out. i mean we know bulbs need changing, but reflectors? i always just gave them a good wipe down every few months.

The sales rep says you lose 25% by using air cooling and he says the reflective material degrades due to dust and sulfur in the air you could lose 5-10% compounded annually as the reflector ages @ 1:10 in the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[YOUTUBEIF]EPn4Lci9H9o[/YOUTUBEIF]

Last edited:

whazzup

Veteran
It is miro aluminum. It is coated under vacuum to protect the reflecting metal and enhance it even to 95% (anodized reflectors up to 87%). The material itself does not degrade that fast, it is the dirt, calcium, dust, sulfur, chemicals etc. that settle on it. It you try to clean it you will damage it by scratching it.

the 20-30% is easily achieved if you take into account that the philips double ended lamp has much more light output than its competitors. 15% more than the best US available single ended lamp we have tested. So after a year of use it still outperforms any new US lamp. That, together with a reflector that has not been changed for 3-4 years and frequently has been wiped, is enough to make 20-30% difference easily.

Everyone changes reflectors once in a while and often the new one is the bomb. Much better than the previous one. Is it? Or is it just a clean one?

to be precise about the air cooling:

The 1000DE lamp is a gas filled lamp which is more sensitive to cooling than other lamps. Most 400V lamps need to be kept to temperature to perform optimal. But yes, you also lose light cooling other lamps if you do too much! I sometimes see real big fans on those cooled hoods. In our ulbricht sphere the lamps are hanging bare. Sometimes we even need to warm up lamps in the sphere to come to their optimal output without the heating effect of a reflector.

MIway

Veteran
i'm kinda curious on the reflector cast too? seems like u'd have to use their hood/socket... and it kinda looks narrow-ish...