What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which Led ?

Howdy IC friends,
Im in the market for a 3x4x4 area led light. I have done tons of research trying to find one and NOTHING still with solid info. Is there anywhere thats a led grow only site? Or something of that nature ? I just dont want to get hooked for $1300 or waste my time.
I have inmind 2x180's or 1 300+.What do you guys think?Do they work well on light movers? Also I am growing 12 Mi5 wich are under 8 4 ft t8s at 5 weeks. All info will be taken to heart.

much thanks
SpX

O

OrganicOzarks

I vote for no LED. The technology is not there yet. For that size space you can run a 600 watter and pull around a pound. LED's are just not there yet, but in a few years they will be what we are all using. Just not yet.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think there are some units that are outstanding. The price of these units is whats holding most of us from buying them. Your looking at 1000$ for a good light it will be around 350w.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Don't waste your money on led's. Your statement above-
"I have done tons of research trying to find one and NOTHING still with solid info"
Is because there is no "solid" info that is credible. They look good, sound good, promise good results,,,,but the technology is not there yet. If it were we'd all be using them and saving some cash. It will be one day but that day is not today.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sleepy shows some nice buds grown under his led. Unclefishstick also has some awesome buds under his LED. I dont have one but If the price was right I would use one to veg with.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been using a LumiGrow ES330, and am pretty happy with it. Incredible frost levels, and the Lumi has pots to adjust the amount of red or blue that you want. I think if I was going to buy one now, I would go with (2) of the ES165 models. They hadn't been introduced when I purchased mine, but they are basically the ES330 cut in half. The price from Grener's is about $300 cheaper for the (2) ES165's than for the 330, and you will have a lot more versatility in it's usage (link at the bottom). I supplemented mine with (2) 55w PL-L's to fill out the spectrum - I don't know that it is necessary, but SOTF had recommended it and I had a bunch of them around. Check out SOTF420's pictures to see his results. Be aware that they do kick out a hell of a lot of heat (not as much as an HID, but substantially more than when I was running the same wattage of PL-L's), and the fans are pretty loud. I've been toying with the idea of using (4) of the 165's arranged in a square pattern with a 250 or 400 watt CMH lamp in the middle. I think it would kick ass, and it would be a lot more pleasant spending time communing with the plants than being under that weird purple color! Also, the Spectra LED's from growledhydro have been getting some outstanding reviews on another site. They are a bit cheaper than the Lumigrow, are full spectrum, but lack the adjustability.

http://www.greners.com/nsearch/?keywords=lumigrow

nukklehead

Patience young man... god didnt invent quantums over night... the next generation will be here soon...Let anxious people spend there money .. sit back and wait

Dudes and dudets,
Wish I could go with hps,but can't. Reason being the heat. So I figured I could get a few and cut off the heat issues.
I find single grows and no other with the same light. Either that or I'm not looking in the right place. Irishboy had a few grows that looked pretty good and not another soul,with the same light.WTF ?
I seen a review,but dude just covered pro source,357and some other company.this is where I keep getn screwed up. Someone should have page for LEDs. The who's and don't withs.
Anyhow it looks like one of the ones with the you don' like it the first 90 days send it back policy,will get my business in the morning.I don't Need but 85 days!! Until someone shows me different, I think I will have roll with them!

Muchos glacias

I likewise am skeptical. When commercial growers start to convert to all LED then I'll be convinced. After all who would benefit more a guy looking for a LED to replace a 600 watter or the guy running 20kw in some warehouse.

Oops, just read your above post. I didn't realize that heat was that big of an issue for you. Per the link above the Lumigrow ES330 seems to be a clear winner. If you can swing the initial investment then go for it. You can always supplement with CFLs.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
I second the vote to wait for the technology to advance some more :tiphat:
Save ya money bro :D
:smoke out:

Last edited:
C

CLOWD11

Irishboy had a few grows that looked pretty good and not another soul,with the same light.WTF ?
There are many using the HGL penetrators with great success. Irishboys posts have all been deleted but there are HGL grows still around on IC. Check my albums, also see blazeoneup and verdantgreens posts. The lumigrow is garbage that needs extra lights added to make it work so stay clear of that overpriced rubbish. Spend your cash on proven LEDs. The 2011 blackstar LEDs are on the 9th generation and look good on the spec sheet and GHL use exactly the same builder as HGL but with 90 degree lenses instead of the 60 degree HGL use. Most good quality LEds produce masses of triches, but its the density that fails on all but the best.
Good luck with your choices.

optimal

i'v been eyein the stealth grow led that advanced nutrients advertises....they got a new 1200 watt model that looks pretty sick

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pretty funny, Clowd. The blackstars only pull slightly over half of their advertised wattage. Must be a good investment - paying for a 240 watt fixture and only spinning the meter for 133 watts, or a 500 watt fixture that only draws 300+. As a retired industrial electrician, I can state for a fact that the Lumigrow is an incredibly well built, heavy duty piece of equipment. As I stated above, I don't know if they need to have the spectrum supplemented, but I had the equipment and it was easy to do.

*edit* I just checked HGL's web site, and their 205 watt fixture, which in reality draws 180 watts, is $700. Their 126 watt fixture, which actually draws 115 watts, is $475. The LumiGrow ES165, which really does draw 165 watts (at least when the pots are at maximum - you have the option of running less), is $565 from Greners. Overpriced rubbish?

smokefrogg

Veteran
...my lumigrow es 165 is working pretty well for being all by itself now

once i got the low temperature issues sorted out, things began to fall in place, very excited about the upcoming 16 week thai and my fake "columbian gold" hehe. the stunted plants had crap for yield, more trichome production than i'm used to under hps though, the blue dream was much more fragrant and jolly rancher blue up in your face which was kind of nice as normally it'd have to cure for a week or 2 before the "blue" odor really started to get deep

anyways, still learning with mine, info is in my journals here, i have a 400 watt hps tent for flowering as well so i'm slowly going through some comparisons

C

CLOWD11

Pretty funny, Clowd. The blackstars only pull slightly over half of their advertised wattage. Must be a good investment - paying for a 240 watt fixture and only spinning the meter for 133 watts, or a 500 watt fixture that only draws 300+.
Dont let the model names confuse you rives, BS clearly state what each model draw in wattage. Using less power than what the 3w chips are rated at while maximising output strenght is actually a lot better long term for the led diode lifespan compared to lumigrow that seem to overvolt their diodes resulting in added heat and short lived diodes. The lumigrow might work with the next model if ever they include a 730nm far red and at least some white light, but until then may all your additive light purchases be merry.

As a retired industrial electrician, I can state for a fact that the Lumigrow is an incredibly well built, heavy duty piece of equipment. As I stated above, I don't know if they need to have the spectrum supplemented, but I had the equipment and it was easy to do.
Sadly a well built light does not constitute a good spectrum. To buy a very expensive light only to need to add other lights is a bit of a joke really.

*edit* I just checked HGL's web site, and their 205 watt fixture, which in reality draws 180 watts, is $700. Their 126 watt fixture, which actually draws 115 watts, is $475. The LumiGrow ES165, which really does draw 165 watts (at least when the pots are at maximum - you have the option of running less), is $565 from Greners. Overpriced rubbish?
My 126W only draw 110w and my pro version only draw 170w, thats enough wattage to drive a well designed spectrum, more wattage need not equate to a "better light" when the spectrum is dodgey.

O

OrganicOzarks

In your size space with a 6" fan , 6" air cooled hood, and and 600 watter you would be about 6 to 8 degrees above ambient temps. So if you could keep your ambient temps at 72f you would be gold. I ran a setup like this in a closet in the past, and it worked great.

LetsSeeYa

Killer LED'S

Killer LED'S

I like these so far, but only have flowered a few plants thus far. But i know a guy thats got them dialed in nice with great yields. I am in a tent tho and he runs more then me in a bigger open area. So my plan is to try a Scrog, because my tent is to small for big plants. But what i have grown was nice and tight buds, just didn't top enough so it hurt the yield.

I am running 2 150w LED Bars in a 2'x4'x5' so im thinking a Scrog will fit the tent great with the Scrog method. I will run a log after i get clones.

I will try to put a link up, but the guy i know that uses these lights puts out great yields with great quality.

I have a few pics in my profile of the NL i flowered with them:dance013:

LSY

Attachments

• WEX-C150.pdf
    554.4 KB · Views: 65

Latest posts

Latest posts