What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gavita-Pro 1000w 400v (new generation hps)

Doc420

They started selling these systems in Holland and i think you also can get this system in the US.
I put my money on these sytems.
Finally no Chinese wannaby ballast with funky colours.
If what they claim is true than this is the system you want to run.

http://www.gavita-holland.com/index.php/products/proline/prolinefixtures/item/gavita-pro-1000-de.html

GAN_Electronic_1000W_(los_-_origineel)_17-5-2010_(2)_%5B640x480%5D.jpg

The GAVITA Pro 1000 is the first 240 Volt electronic ballast that powers the professional Philips GreenPower 1000W 400V EL (electronic) Double Ended lamp. This lamp has the highest PAR light output, improved spectrum and the best light maintenance (>95% PAR light over one year of use). Being the most efficient 1000W horticultural lamp available and the only lamp specifically developed for electronic ballasts this is the 1000W lamp of choice for Dutch professional greenhouse growers. The GAVITA Pro 1000 is available as a complete fixture with the highly efficient professional HortiStar HR 96 1000 DE reflector or as a remote ballast. Being completely closed and solid state (no fans) with extremely low heat dissipation the remote ballast can be mounted close to your lamps, enabling safe and easy installation. Having your ballast close to your lamp reduces the amount of EMI (RF interference). Both ballasts are adjustable to 600/660/750/825/1000/1150 watt, enabling them to drive a wide range of EL lamps and boost them 10 or 15%, creating the highest output in the market.

Features & Benefits
Full fixture only for 1000W 400V Double Ended EL lamps
No acoustic resonance
Up to 8% more grow light
Light maintenance after 5000 hrs > 95%
Available as full fixture or remote ballast
Adjustable to 600/660/750/825/1000/1150 watt
System design and concept by GAVITA
Sealed housing (Class I) with Gore-Tex ventilation plug
Microprocessor controlled
Professional UV resistant rubber wiring
Very low heat dissipation and optimal cooling
Driver efficiency at full power 95-96%
UL Listed

Specifications
Input Voltage: 240-277 Volt
Input Current: 4.42A at 240V
Input Power: 1060 Watt
Input Current: 5.06A at 240V
Input Power: 1220 Watt
Power Factor: > 0.98
Input Frequency: 50-60 Hz
Output Connection: IEC C14, power cable 10 ft with 240V plug
Dimensions: 22.3"/567mm (length) x 9.4”/240mm (width) x 13,4”/341mm (height)
Case Temp. (°C): 20 - 50°C
Reflector Material: HortiStar HR 96 1000 DE in bracket, Miro aluminum
Light Source: Philips GP TD EL 1000W
Luminous Flux: 138.000 Lumens (indicative)
PPF: 1850 μMol/sec

drawing_1000.jpg

Philips Greenpower hps 1000w 400v EL
Philips%20SONTD%20Greenpower%201000.jpg

Lets see if they walk the walk.:biggrin:

Attachments

• GAVITA Pro 1000 ballast US web (1).pdf
    536.6 KB · Views: 60

Doc420

Here is some more info about Lumens VS Par/uMol

400w
1. Philips Agro 400w 230v 660 uMol (output stabile, extra blue spectrum)
2. Philips Greenpower 400w 230v 725 uMol (output stabile)

600w
1. Philips SON-T plus 600w 230v 1045 uMol (output "instabile") output degrades fast
2. Philips SON-T Greenpower 600w 230v 1100 uMol (output stabile)
3. Philips SON-T Greenpower 600w 400v 1150 uMol (output stabile)
4. Philips SON-T Greenpower 600w 400v EL* 1170 uMol (output stabile) *specialy for high frequency electronic ballast >100.000 hertz

1000w
1. Philips SON-T Greenpower 1000w 400v EL* DE 1925 uMol (output stabile) in reality the lamp gives 2100 uMol.
*specialy for high frequency electronic ballast <100.000 hertz

The standard measurements of light output have traditionally been done through the foot-candle, lumens and lux. They quantify how humans experience the intensity of light, based on the limited sensitivity of the human eye in the yellow/green area of the spectrum (around 550 nm). Plants however use a much wider spectrum for photosynthesis, called the PAR spectrum (Photo-synthetically Active Radiation), ranging from 400-700 nm

eye-wavelength-color-chart.jpg

Human eye sensitivity versus plant sensitivity

Photosynthesis is not driven by brightness of the light according to the human eye or the energy of a photon (which varies for different colors) but purely by the number of photons in the PAR spectrum. You need about eight photons to bind one CO2 molecule. So to quantify potential photosynthesis it is all about the number of photons within the PAR spectrum hitting the plant. This is expressed as Photosynthetic Photon Flux (PPF – total photons emitted from a light source per second) and Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density (PPFD – the number of photons hitting one square meter of surface per second) and it is measured in moles or micromoles (µmol) of photons.

You can measure the number of photons hitting your plant (PPFD) using a quantum meter, predicting the potential photosynthetic capacity of your light.

You can measure the total number of photons emitted by a lamp (PPF)by putting it in an Ulbricht integrating sphere

So where we used to have luminous flux in lumens, we now have PPF in µmol/s, and where we used to have illuminance (light indicent on a surface) in lux, we now have PPFD in µmol/m2/s

Lamps with high lumens output are not necessary high par output lamps: some lamps with lower lumens output have higher micromole output.

Another important issue is of course the spectrum of a lamp. Micromoles alone is not enough - or blue and red LEDs would have worked :D

Doc

one Q

Quality
Veteran
EDIT

Total DICK post on my part. I judged you because you are a new member and posting products. Hope i can be forgiven.

*takes foot out of mouth*

Last edited:

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Those 1000w bulbs are defiently gonna change the tech of 1000w. Its nice to see these new bulbs directly produced for horticulture. By the time i move up to a 1000w hopefully these will be cheaper.

growshopfrank

Veteran
FWIW the 400w version was developed as a joint venture with Gavita and Lumatek so they will likely be marketed world wide

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
And how do you get 400V in the US? I can't get it in any residential area.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
It's in the headline, Gavita-Pro 1000w 400v (new generation hps) We can't get more than 220VAC most places in the US, so a 400vac fixture is as useless as a 600v fixture etc.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
OK so it draws 1220W and gives 8% more light, so it's using 22% more power and making 8% more light than a regular 1KW? Am I missing where this is a good thing?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yeah I gathered that the PAR watts are 8% better, but since it uses considerably more power you would be better off using current technology 1kw lights. Adding lots of wattage for a small gain in efficiency isnt exactly a step forward, dont you think?

spurr

Veteran
Here is some more info about Lumens VS Par/uMol

400w
1. Philips Agro 400w 230v 660 uMol (output stabile, extra blue spectrum)
2. Philips Greenpower 400w 230v 725 uMol (output stabile)

600w
1. Philips SON-T plus 600w 230v 1045 uMol (output "instabile") output degrades fast
2. Philips SON-T Greenpower 600w 230v 1100 uMol (output stabile)
3. Philips SON-T Greenpower 600w 400v 1150 uMol (output stabile)
4. Philips SON-T Greenpower 600w 400v EL* 1170 uMol (output stabile) *specialy for high frequency electronic ballast >100.000 hertz

1000w
1. Philips SON-T Greenpower 1000w 400v EL* DE 1925 uMol (output stabile) in reality the lamp gives 2100 uMol at the start of its lifetime.
*specialy for high frequency electronic ballast <100.000 hertz

Hey doc,

Where did you get that umol data? Is it radiance or irradiance? I ask because the 1,000w is the only model that lists sufficient umol for cannabis if it's listed as irradiance. Depending upon what type of measurement is represented by the umol data, the lamps are either insufficient (i.e., not any better than most other lamps) or sufficient.

We want ~1,500 umol/area/second for cannabis, ideally as instantaneous irradiance. However, considering daylength (re Daily Light Integral) using ~1,100-1,500 could be sufficient (shorter daylength = higher instantaneous irradiance and longer daylength = lower instantaneous irradiance).

spurr

Veteran
they are saying better spectrum eg. PAR watts

Better spectrum doesn't necessarily correlate to higher PAR watts because PAR watts is a function of light quality (spectrum, SPD) and quantity (irradiance). And besides, we don't want to use PAR watts (i.e., w/M^2 using a pyranometer) for plants, we want to use umol/area/second (i.e, PAR photons using a quantum sensor). Irradiance for plants is often reported as PPFD, i.e., umol/m^2/second; but I prefer using umol/area/second for indoor grows because often the canopy is not a meter^2 (often the canopy is smaller than a meter^2).

Most pyranometers measure light from ~300 nm to ~1,100 nm; but PAR range light is only 400-700 nm. So often the lamp SPD needs to be used to find PAR watts if only reporting from 400-700 nm. Here is an example of a good pyranometer and its spectral response with sound info about pyranometers: link

Often when lamp makers report irradiance by PAR watts they are using a spectroradiometer; but even then, they should report by umol/area/second not watt/area.

Also, "better spectrum" is often misunderstood, even by lighting companies, e.g., SunMaster (who also happens to perpetuate the misuse of PAR watts for plants). Have you seen the SPD for those lamps? If so, can you please post the SPDs? Thanks.

spurr

Veteran
Hmmm,

According to the Gavita Pro 1000 webpage (link) the Philips GP TD EL 1000W with the Gavita ballast has the following luminance and radiance (respectively):
  • Luminous Flux: 138.000 Lumens (indicative)
  • PPF: 1850 μMol/sec

PPF = Photosynthetic Photon Flux. The above shows that the PPF is just slightly above the ideal PPFD of cannabis. Granted, when the lamp is used in a reflector the irradiance (umol/area/second) will be increased a lot verses a lamp not in a reflector. I assume that lamp and ballast combo are sufficient in terms of irradiance (ex., > 1,100 umol/area/second) but I do not see why this lamp and ballast combo is anything out of the ordinary...but maybe I am missing something...

It would help to see the SPD of the lamp/s that are supposed to be used with that ballast.

B

Bud Bug

I can't see these system selling in NA at retail hydroponic stores. The all in one system never sold and they have been around for ages. A few people might buy them but i'll always remain speciality system.