What's new

LIGHT DISTANCES

keesey

what are the recomended light distances for a 400w MH and HPS
during the vegitative state and then into the flowering.

i dont think that being as close as possible is always better. i would go by the chart. I yielded more when I followed that chart than I did when i got my magnum xxl like 7 inches away. i figured if i got closer I would yield more. i found that some of my colas were huge when i got that close, but I had a lot more big colas when i kept it about 10 or 11 inches away. so I yielded more. thats just my experience

ITryToGrow

i dont think that being as close as possible is always better. i would go by the chart. I yielded more when I followed that chart than I did when i got my magnum xxl like 7 inches away. i figured if i got closer I would yield more. i found that some of my colas were huge when i got that close, but I had a lot more big colas when i kept it about 10 or 11 inches away. so I yielded more. thats just my experience

Hmm, that's interesting... I got the utmost respect for your experience, but I would sure like to understand the science behind that?

Especially since I also use magnums (first run with them, check my sig) and I have them like 6-7 inches from the closest tops. :)

Walt Jabsco

invest in a light meter and watch the exponential loss of light penetration per inch. it will change your whole thought of how much light you are really losing.

lilnick

everyone gave you a hard answer the best and easiest would be from 1 to 1/2 ft away from the tops so you should be able to raise and lower your lights as the plants get larger and older.

keesey

Thank you every one i really appreciate the info i am farly new to this. i am very happy i didnt get replies that were like "check this forum" or "why didnt you search it"

for my first post on this site and getting personal knowledge and experiance i give everyone here a +

i am planning on useing a 400w hps and mh to grow 3 plants in a 2x4 room. still dont know the water supply yet but from seed to veg i have been useing aquaponics and 8 t8s and 2 300w cfls, along with a 75w hps that was laying around. all of them responded good to the HPS when it was added. i will put up some pics tommorow in my albums.

THANK YOU

LUDACRIS

Veteran

Attachments

• mh lamp heights.jpg
    mh lamp heights.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 26_lchart_1.jpg
    26_lchart_1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 11

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
When in doubt, use the back of your hand. Place as near to the lamp as is comfortable. Not what you can endure, where it's comfortable. That's your distance.