What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Magnetic or Digital?

I'm getting back into growing after a 3 year break. I'm upgrading to 1000 watt hps. I've heard great things about digital ballasts, but am cautious cause I've also heard that digital is ok for 600 watts but not for 1000. Is that still the case? If not, what is a good brand for 1000 watt ballast; digital or magnetic? Thnaks y'all.

W

Wasabi420

go with quantums. the new lumateks have rf noise that fuck with electronic devices. but if you can geta hold of an older model lumetek(one without the dimmer switch) then go with that. otherwise i would stick with quantums or nexgen

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its nice to have the voltage adjust of the quantums.But ive read that the cooling fan can be the weak point of a ballast.I went with a sealed galaxy,and have had nothing but good luck so far..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bongjangles
I recently got a visit from my cable company due to the interference created by a 1000w 2009 model Lumatek. The brand new switchable "superlumens" kind. The one that is supposed to be fixed... Rrrrrright.

Was told the noise coming from my house was affecting service in the neighborhood, and had to talk my way out of them coming to the house to check all the connections.

I think I foun my answer. Thanks Slevink for that link!

burnedout

go with quantums. the new lumateks have rf noise that fuck with electronic devices. but if you can geta hold of an older model lumetek(one without the dimmer switch) then go with that. otherwise i would stick with quantums or nexgen

All digital ballasts produce rfi to some extent, the quantums are no exception.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I like the Quantums, every hydro shop I've talked to said the failure rate on them was about 90% lower than that of Lumateks. I have 5 of the 1000W units and am buying 11 more. With the fans they stay cooler than the Lumateks too, if the fans die I can replace them, but they have a good warranty on them too. Love the dimmer switch!

Oh, and the Quantums come with both 120V and 240V power cords, run both bulbs, and put out ten percent more light than a magnetic ballast (measured it myself.)

Digital, hands down.

globel

Any one ever heard of Global Greenhouse ballast. I run 6 of them and I can talk on the cellphone within 3 feet of them all. They don't have a dimmer switch but they run flawless.

B

Bud Bug

Wow!
Those are some pretty dramatic videos for sure.

I'll be making more of them but just trying to get my hands on other ballasts.

If possible try to run your ballast on a separate circuit (one that is not used by any other device in the house) seems this minimizes the amount of rf interference on radios.

Also there were two station that were not affected by the ballast coming on. Was strange but maybe the radio signal was strong?

junior_grower

I sit my radio on my 7 year old magnetic ballasts. I have dropped them from six feet and only needed a new igniter and cap. I have maybe spent 150 bucks over the years in parts including the purchase price. As for a noisy ballast there is an epoxy resin that can be injected into the coil to make it run almost silent. As for looking to buy just make sure your getting a dry film cap not oil filled.

B

Bud Bug

As for a noisy ballast there is an epoxy resin that can be injected into the coil to make it run almost silent.

Of you get 4 long bolts and insert them into the 4 ballast hole and tighten them down till the plates stop vibrating.

If you decided to go with magnetic ballasts get ones with copper coils like Advanced (not AN). These will run much cooler then the aluminum coil ones and usually have a much better quality capacitor/ignitor.

junior_grower

Of you get 4 long bolts and insert them into the 4 ballast hole and tighten them down till the plates stop vibrating.

once they reach 7 years old the plates have broken corners and those holes are torn bent ect. I calculate every expense in a grow lights are a part of that, so far those ballast with a little bubblegum and know how are down to a cost of 4.58$ per grow. My goal is to aim for 3.00$ but that's a while yet so on with the out of the box repairs.

BigTop

Lazyman~ do you notice a visible difference in how the digi's fire the bulbs over the mag's???

Reason I ask is that I 'see' a 'whiter' light from the mag's... this is visible spectrum

Use a quantum meter for the PAR values & would have to say they are pretty close to one another brand spankin new (bubls/side-by-sdie)...

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
THe digis spark lamps faster, and get to full brightness MUCH faster. They also restrike much faster when unplugged.

Same hoods, same age ballasts, same distance? I did and had over 1000 more lumens out of both my hps and mh bulbs, same everything but ballasts.

T

tokinafaty420

I still use the heavy magnetic type. You will save more money and can make up the 10% by being able to add an extra lamp with the money you saved.

Will cost ya like $300 for a 1000w electronic ballast and thats all you get is the ballast and the power cord.

If you go with the SS-10 model remote ballast add $50 and you'll get the socket plus 25 foot cord. Great option if you are growing vertically and don't need the complete lamp bundles that come with hoods, glass, and lightbulbs.

I just went to my favorite online hydro shop:

Lumantek ballast 1000w : $300

SS-10 remote ballast + socket upgrade (25ft cord) : $174.90
Hortilux Super HPS 1000w bulb : $69.90
Total : $244.80

If you can deal with the extra weight I'd always choose the magnetic over the digital b/c of the price. Can't help myself I like saving a buck.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I still use the heavy magnetic type. You will save more money and can make up the 10% by being able to add an extra lamp with the money you saved.

Not true, I have no more space for additional lamps, and many can't draw any more power.

On a 16 light setup with all XXXL hoods and digis, I'll be throwing down as many lumens as a 20KW op using Xtrasun hoods and magnetics. In my garden that's about an extra 4-6 pounds per crop for no extra power costs. Efficiency isn't something to scorn is it?