What's new

BUD ROT OR INSECTS?

Los_Serpent

hello, i grow outdoors, today i harvested my diesel auto, all grate, however a few buds looked really bad, dark, bit dry on the outside, and a bit wet on the inside, they just have an off color to them.

at first i tho it's rot, but upon opening one of the buds, i found a larva inside, butterfly larva? not sure. and i've seen quite a few of them sneaking around my plants. however the other buds did not have anything inside.

the worry is that i still have a plant that's 1 month away from harvest, days are cold and wet not, and i noticed a few burned buds on top, completely dry, and they came off just by pulling them very slightly, is it rot, or could it be nutrient burn? cause i did get quite a bit of nutrient burn.

i'll post a few pictures of the larva, and what i supsect to be bud rot off the plant i harvested.

he's a cute little thing, but i brutally murdered him, no one touches MY WEED!

ALSO QUESTION: is 220g wet a good harvest for a diesel auto with 8 weeks of flowering (outdoors in a pot with soil) just curious, how much will that be in dry weight?

pics:https://imgur.com/a/Ggnlu2r

Los_Serpent

my plant is REALLY bush, however the "mold" or whatever it is, was in some of the top branches! not the lower ones in the shade, that's why i'm wondering if it's even mold

Sounds like it might be caterpillars/larva inside the buds, they will cause rot/mold and all sorts of nasty stuff to happen.

40degsouth

Hey Los Serpent,
what you’re dealing with sounds like bud rot caterpillars to me. They eat their way into the bud and create a home for themselves in there. They come out at night eating the buds on the plant, close to where their home is. You can see little bits of poo on the bud and this is what creates the bud rot and why outdoor growers spray to kill them off. I like to spray BT once a week because the bacteria is light sensitive and caterpillars will keep walking in to your plants relentlessly; it also takes a few days to kill them.
Other growers on here spray other things like Serinade, Actinovate, Venorate and Grandevo (l mightn’t of spelt those correctly) as part of a full spectrum lPM, or integrated pest management, regime.
The burning sounds like it has been caused bu nute burn but could also have been caused by over enthusiastic foliar sprays that are to strong.
Hope this helps a bit,
Cheers,

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Often times this is caterpillars, those fuckers like to go right up to the best top terminal, burrow inside and rot that shit out. They leave their droppings in their wake, usually when its just rot in the tops, often times its those bastards.

Los_Serpent

Hey Los Serpent,
what you’re dealing with sounds like bud rot caterpillars to me. They eat their way into the bud and create a home for themselves in there. They come out at night eating the buds on the plant, close to where their home is. You can see little bits of poo on the bud and this is what creates the bud rot and why outdoor growers spray to kill them off. I like to spray BT once a week because the bacteria is light sensitive and caterpillars will keep walking in to your plants relentlessly; it also takes a few days to kill them.
Other growers on here spray other things like Serinade, Actinovate, Venorate and Grandevo (l mightn’t of spelt those correctly) as part of a full spectrum lPM, or integrated pest management, regime.
The burning sounds like it has been caused bu nute burn but could also have been caused by over enthusiastic foliar sprays that are to strong.
Hope this helps a bit,
Cheers,

alright thank you! is there a homemade alternative? or maybe neem oil? i just don't wanna spray my buds with pesticides etc because i don't wash them like some people do when harvesting.

40degsouth

Hey Los Serpent,
BT (bacillus thuringienses ?) is organically registered and cheap. It’s actually a bacteria that’s only harmful to caterpillars, they ingest it while eating leaf material that has been sprayed and multiplies in their gut until death, about three days later. Microbe Man and l had a talk about them not so long ago and it turns out they can be tank mixed with compost teas.
I’ve always sprayed right up until harvest with no ill effects ( l don’t wash my harvest either) and it is also used in the vegetable garden on brassicas and I’ve eaten them too. It’s light sensitive and degrades in usefulness over about two weeks.
You could try sacrificial crops such as amaranth or brassicas but at my location these do not work against bud rot caterpillars and they always seem to prefer and have a taste for cannabis plants over anything I’ve tried to trick them into.
I’ve also seen other growers on here hanging bug zappers around their gardens and apparently the results are extremely promising for reducing the incidence of moth caterpillars.
Another organic way for control is to set up a simple bat house, designs of which you will find on the net for the specific bats in your area.
A few more ideas for your consideration,
Cheers,

Los_Serpent

guys i got this product at the store, question is, will i have to wash my weed before smoking it after i use this?

https://imgur.com/a/v8EhXkA

the active compound is delta*deltamethrin *

any tips? instructions are pretty bad, i mixed 1ml in 1l of water and sprayed all of my plant, how often should i do this? im 3 weeks ish* from harvest.

how often should i spray them? also, it's raining, is that an issue?

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
also i was wondering, how do i remove poop from buds so they don't rot?

... there’s really nothing you can do this late into flowering.

you could also cut out the parts you see where the caterpillars have invaded, but this is really a last ditch effort as it’s too late to spray bt imo

but if you’re looking to salvage what you can, washing it into hash might be your best bet

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
if u don't see any mold, maybe you can wash in hyd. pex. and lemon juice + baking soda- i know they use it for PM, and to wash off any nasties on an outdoor grow...

Los_Serpent

... there’s really nothing you can do this late into flowering.

you could also cut out the parts you see where the caterpillars have invaded, but this is really a last ditch effort as it’s too late to spray bt imo

but if you’re looking to salvage what you can, washing it into hash might be your best bet

i'm not using bt......