What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jean Guy - House of the Great Gardener

insomniac_AU

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grow is finished so thought I'd do a smoke report. :tiphat:
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]JEAN GUY[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
A favorite in Compassion Clubs across Canada

A Quebec-born legend made famous by the Montreal Compassion Club, the Jean Guy is a Sativa dominant cross, a pungent euphoriant with a citrus/skunk smell indicative of its strong buzz. It grows quickly producing thick lateral branches and heavy colas. Jean Guy was featured in the first ever marijuana ad in the New York Times.
Variety - Sativa/Indica (60%-40%)
Seed - Feminized
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Analysis - THC 25.00%, CBD 1.40%, CBN 0.08%[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Flowering time 9-10 weeks
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Day 42[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Indoor Flower period: = 9-10 weeks
- Plant Size/Structure: = Medium, controllable in tent
- Ease of Growing: (1=hard 10=easy) = 9
- Ease of Cloning: (1=hard 10=easy) = 9
- Nutrient Uptake: (1=low feeder 10=heavy feeder) = 5 - don't overfeed
- Odor/Smell Level: (1=low 10=stink) = 10
- Yield: (1=low 10=high) = 7
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grow Method

Hydroponic homemade
- Lighting: Veg = 2 x 80W 6500k CFLs; Flower = 600 watt Phillips Master SON-T HPS
- Medium: Grodan Grow wool
- Base Nutrients: Nefarious 2 part grow and flower (Australian company)
- Additives/Suppliments: None
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Eye Appeal: (1=ugly 10=bomb) = 7
- Bud Density: (1=airy 10=rock hard/thick) = 7
- Trichome Coverage: (0=none 10=extreme) = 8
- Dried Bud Scent/Smell = Citrus, pine, skunk - After 4 months cure I detect freshly cut ripe mango as well.
- Smoke Flavor/Taste = Lemon, orange, lime and pine. Earthy hazelnut diesel on exhale.
- High Description: Powerful, Calm, focused, manages to uplift and relax me. My go to daytime smoke.
- Flavor Scale: (1=bland 10=flavor country!) = 10 (I don't think I can not have this taste in my life)
- Smoothness: (1=harsh 10=smooth) = 8
- Onset Effect: (1=immediate 10=creeper) = 3
- Duration: (1=short 10=long) = 9
- Motivation Factor: (1=lazy downer 10=motivational upper) = 6
- Indica/Sativa ratio guess? = 40/60
- Potency: (1=low 10=high) = 8
- Tolerance Buildup: (1=slow 10=fast) = 2
- Overall Satisfaction: (1=sucks 10=best/top) = 9

Final Comments: Very strong odour towards end of flower so not recommended if that worries you. The resin is very oily and terpy so I don't think it would be as easy to dry sift as some other strains. Don't dismiss because of plain Jane name. Do yourself a favour and give it a try.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

JJDubz

JG is a lovely smoke.

I used to get it at Toronto Compassion Club (as mentioned). Sadly I cannot find it anymore, but it was a great daytime med.

Looks great!!!

Somatek

Awesome, thanks for sharing as I've got a pack of those waiting but haven't gotten around to them yet. I couldn't find many grow reports on their gear so it's good to hear it's solid, did you grow the whole pack or just a couple of seeds?

insomniac_AU

Awesome, thanks for sharing as I've got a pack of those waiting but haven't gotten around to them yet. I couldn't find many grow reports on their gear so it's good to hear it's solid, did you grow the whole pack or just a couple of seeds?
Good to hear you won't be disappointed. Just make sure you don't pull them early if you want the full depth of flavour. 65-70 days is the sweet spot IMO.
I've had this bag of seeds for quite a few years. I usually only grow one seed at a time and clone from that because I want to keep the other seeds as backups. I've moved 3 times since I've had them so this is the 3rd pheno I've grown and they've all been pretty similar and good.

Somatek

That's what I've found with their René S1's, I've got 6 in flower now and there isn't too much variation between them. They're all fairly similar and 5 have a predominantly fruity smell with diesel/acrid undertones and one is the opposite, acrid/fuel with a fruity/sweet undertone.

I usually prefer a later harvest to an early one, thanks for the suggestion as your bud looks gorgeous and sounds very close to the original Jean Guy

insomniac_AU

Is this the first time you've grown it? I was wondering what the smoke was like. I've never grown Rene. I tend to like Matt's stuff. I've grown his Barb before which was tasty but too hard to manage in my tent.

insomniac_AU

Yeah she got a bit out of control and stretchy at the end for my liking. I had to pull the other plants because it filled the tent. Something wasn't right because this is supposed to be Shiskaberry (redline I believe) x Afghani and it looked way more sativa than I was expecting.
Sorry I can't 100% remember the aroma it was 3 years ago. I think it was sweet and fruity.

My apologies I only had a few crap photos.
picture.php

Somatek

Is this the first time you've grown it? I was wondering what the smoke was like. I've never grown Rene. I tend to like Matt's stuff. I've grown his Barb before which was tasty but too hard to manage in my tent.

Yep, first time running any of his gear and so far it's looking good. I haven't tried the original Rene so I have no frame of reference but it's smelling delicious so far. I'll be throwing his Sunshine (sweet skunk S1's) into flower this week, also have a pack of his Barbara Bud to crack when the rooms cleared out a bit.

insomniac_AU

Yep, first time running any of his gear and so far it's looking good. I haven't tried the original Rene so I have no frame of reference but it's smelling delicious so far. I'll be throwing his Sunshine (sweet skunk S1's) into flower this week, also have a pack of his Barbara Bud to crack when the rooms cleared out a bit.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it when it's done and to see how your Barb turns out. :tiphat:

Somatek

So am I after reading your comments about Barb, but then again it's been so long since I've grown Shiskaberry I can't really remember how it grew so I didn't have many expectations going in other then quick and fruity with a fairly mellow high

insomniac_AU

The Barb flower was very tasty and enjoyable to smoke from memory. It's not a super heavy hitter but nice, more a social smoke. I think it makes excellent extracts. Matt won a lot of awards for his Barb drysift and rosin.

Newb here. That Jean Guy I used to get from the Montreal Club was sublime. The owner pulled up and joined forces with Tweed in some capacity. Bummer, it was just the ticket for my wife's ailments.

Alucinaciones

Absolutely Gorgeous Jean Guy insomniac_AU. I believe this is a huugely slept on genetic i tried it in bud from before growing the GG Jean Guy S1's and i got the exact same mouth watering flavor and amazing nose. She has great potency. Im going to cross Breeder Steve's Sweet Skunk with multiple select jean guy males see if its possible to add some potency to the sweet skunk while mixing up their unique terpene profiles and possibly taking a week or 2 off of flowering time. Im far from an expert just a chucker with a goal

insomniac_AU

Newb here. That Jean Guy I used to get from the Montreal Club was sublime. The owner pulled up and joined forces with Tweed in some capacity. Bummer, it was just the ticket for my wife's ailments.
Yes it's delicious. It's not just about getting stoned for me these days it has to taste good. It's also more clear headed than the normal Indica dominant strains I grow which is nice during the day. It's just as high in THC but doesn't give that foggy mind stone.

Absolutely Gorgeous Jean Guy insomniac_AU. I believe this is a huugely slept on genetic i tried it in bud from before growing the GG Jean Guy S1's and i got the exact same mouth watering flavor and amazing nose. She has great potency. Im going to cross Breeder Steve's Sweet Skunk with multiple select jean guy males see if its possible to add some potency to the sweet skunk while mixing up their unique terpene profiles and possibly taking a week or 2 off of flowering time. Im far from an expert just a chucker with a goal
Thanks mate I appreciate it. I agree it's a slept on genetic. I think it's the name. If it was called White Lemon Nirvana Death Cookies or something more people would grow it.
That would be quite a mix. I think the flavour profiles would suit each other well. I'd be interested to see the results. Please post up when you do it. :tiphat:

Yes it's delicious. It's not just about getting stoned for me these days it has to taste good. It's also more clear headed than the normal Indica dominant strains I grow which is nice during the day. It's just as high in THC but doesn't give that foggy mind stone.

Thanks mate I appreciate it. I agree it's a slept on genetic. I think it's the name. If it was called White Lemon Nirvana Death Cookies or something more people would grow it.
That would be quite a mix. I think the flavour profiles would suit each other well. I'd be interested to see the results. Please post up when you do it. :tiphat:

We seem joined at the hip so to speak. I have not been able to find a supplier for this once go-to strain since the Montreal Compassion Centre closed so I'm forced to learn and grow it myself. This is attempt number 1 and primarily meant as educational.

Next...grow tent inside, take it hydroponic and grow for yield and quality.

insomniac_AU

We seem joined at the hip so to speak. I have not been able to find a supplier for this once go-to strain since the Montreal Compassion Centre closed so I'm forced to learn and grow it myself. This is attempt number 1 and primarily meant as educational.

Next...grow tent inside, take it hydroponic and grow for yield and quality.
Lovely pics CV. :tiphat: Looks like you're doing a great job. I've never grown it outside before. Please keep me updated. :)