What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germination help

Garden Bunny

[Sorry for the translation]
Peace and love for all,

I put 4 seeds to germinate

2 Hawaii & 2 Colombia Kush

I put both in a container with moist paper towels

It's been 3 days and so far without a worm ...

Could someone tell me if I can put them in cotton? to increase the probability of germinating? I'm apprehensive because I got this as a gift but I think I'll lose it :(

If anyone can help me with any tips thank you too

Peace :dance:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
What is the temperature? 22-24 degree Celsius is good for germinating. Under 20 and they will struggle.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Peace and love for all,

Could someone tell me if I can put them in cotton? to increase the probability of germinating? I'm apprehensive because I got this as a gift but I think I'll lose it :(

Container? Is it sealed? I place my paper towel in a open/unsealed baggy. They need oxygen besides temp as buddy above posted and, in a dark place.

Tulku

what light are they under? I've never used the moist paper towel method, way too much drama to pop seeds. Straight into Root riots, keep them moist and the light a good couple of feet away from them and all should be well.

LNG

Peace and love for all,

Any luck?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
what light are they under? I've never used the moist paper towel method, way too much drama to pop seeds. Straight into Root riots, keep them moist and the light a good couple of feet away from them and all should be well.
I don't find the extra step as drama good buddy. No, I simply find it a time saver. :)

I have had a greater success rate using it. It could be said that perhaps I had less than optimal seeds when I planted them directly in the soil. I did it a couple of times in the past and both times I had failures. OTOH, using the wet towels 1. I also noticed they longer to sprout. Whereas...

I guess it all depends on how you were introduced to seed germination. I've extrapolated the info on several ways to go about it (paper towel) and develop my own method.

• I scarify my seeds and, soak them in a mild solution of H2O2 and distilled water. (10% H2O2 (3%)) for 18-24hrs. H2O2 acts as a disinfectant
  • transfer them to the paper towel using a fresh solution of H2O2/dist H2O, placed in a baggie in a warm dark place. They germinate in 2-3 days
  • plant in their starter pot, in my case a 4" square pot
  • 2-3 days later, the seeds have sprouted.
It is my understanding that the aforementioned timeline is pretty much std and I often see the start of a tail after the soak. I aim for a 3/8" tail. That is what works for me. YMMV :tiphat:

mexweed

Veteran
I usually just put seeds in a glass of water after 12-24 hours I poke them with a toothpick and they should sink, I have had seeds crack and sprout a taproot in 24-48 hours after sinking, however recently I have had seeds sink and not crack underwater, so I removed them and planted them directly in watered soil in a starter tray and they are definitely going