What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Using HPS and MH together.

superx

Veteran
Hey everyone,

It seems one of my hps bulbs is fecked, not sure how as its only on its second run.

Any howz, can I replace the bulb with a MH one? The ballast isn't the issue as it does both.

Will I be sacrificing my final yield if I do is my concern.
There's normally 6 hps lights so now there will be 5 and one MH, I'm all ready 4weeks into flower.

Should I go out and buy a hps bulb? I'm thinking the MH will be fine and might even help with the added blue spectrum.. I'm not really sure to be honest.

Thanks in advance.

SuperBadGrower

Light is yield so yeah. Significant difference
mh vs hps.jpg
No way to twist & turn it MH just gives very little light compared to hps ... going into week 5 at least they have finished stretching to the same height, its probably easier to replace all HPS at once if you were planning to
I'd get one though, and just use it longer than the other 5 :)

superx

Veteran
OK fair enough, if its going to make a significant difference i will replace.

Appreciate your comment.

SuperBadGrower

Only caveat I can imagine is, if you pack your lights really tight, it's less of an issue... But if you are using them for their 'rated' coverage, yeah a MH will definitely put less on the scales. the yield difference should easily make up for the price of a bulb :good:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Using new bulbs make a big difference in flowering compared to using old bulbs. I just buy the cheap ones and replace them during the beginning of flowering.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm fond of the Philips Green Power lamps. They start off with maybe 95% of their other sodiums lumen output, which isn't the best news. However they maintain that figure for a long time. Giving a much longer service life. You can change them every couple of years, when you remember, and see no difference. The 5% lower output just means putting 5% more lighting up. Which isn't worth thinking about. Producing a lot less lamp waste is a real bonus though.

I will post you a lamp if you're local. Just to fill the gap till your next bulk lamping is due

superx

Veteran
Phillips Green power is what I'm using.

I managed to avail of the click and collect service for a bulb from a local enough growshop, so all is good.

In regards to yield I just thought there would not be a significant difference when switching over to MH. After digesting those charts this was not the case, even though it was only one bulb I was thinking the ratio of hps v MH (5-1) wouldn't make a difference and maybe the blue spectrum being an advantage with the mixed spectrums.

I appreciate you offering to post one on as well which is really kind of you.

Regarding the spacing of them I'm rather old school each 600 is covering 1.2metre sq with 2.5 -3 plants below.

I have been catching up with LED tech of late, and have read a fair bit of your posts regarding the subject.

This time round I plan on adding one or two of them to the room, its to expensive for me to switch over now for equal watts.

yes

yes

Hey everyone,

It seems one of my hps bulbs is fecked, not sure how as its only on its second run.

Any howz, can I replace the bulb with a MH one? The ballast isn't the issue as it does both.

Will I be sacrificing my final yield if I do is my concern.
There's normally 6 hps lights so now there will be 5 and one MH, I'm all ready 4weeks into flower.

Should I go out and buy a hps bulb? I'm thinking the MH will be fine and might even help with the added blue spectrum.. I'm not really sure to be honest.

Thanks in advance.
other than MH being about 2/3 as much light or watt it's fine

Latest posts

Latest posts