What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are Sativas of the 60s early 70s extinct?

Hello fellow icmagers! :gday:

I'm going to say it, I hate todays cannabis, I quit using it actually.
I'm a millennial, who was lucky enough to have a freind import herb and hash direct from Thailand, Africa, and the Philippines, and a mango biche grown

here in the US.
The people that shipped it to her touted that their herbs are unhybridized and pure landrace sativas.
Although from my research on icmag, it seems that all the old sativas in literally every part of the world, had at some point since the mid 70s to 80s, indica or ruderalis introduced into their farms.

I am very frustrated and worried.
Online I have seen khalifas kerala chellatuki landrace for sale that has a flower time of 18-24 weeks, every leaf on that plant is pencil thin, not a single leaf is wider than a pencil, and he mentioned the farmers in that particular part of kerala have always protected their landrace from other cultivars, and are actually concerned about conserving landraces, I haven't heard of any farmers like this ever. Even here on icmag, everyone that ever mentioned growing a sativa landrace also grows an indica, which is very disappointing, its like I'm the only human on earth that hates indica and ruderalis with a passion.
Then there is real seed company's colombian gold 72, every leaf is pencil thin, with a long floweeing time of 18-24+ weeks.

The only other strains worth mentiong are highly suspect considering where they come from, their pictures, and characteristics.
There is the burma mong hsat from indian landrace exchange, the two laotian varieties at the landrace team, which all have a flowering time of 18-20 weeks, already 4 weeks too short, most leaves are pencil thin but some leaves are like twice as wide as the rest, a huge red flag.
Landrace teams thais are too short flowering and short in height, so not even going to mention Thai, besides thai farmers apparently used indicas on their sativas in the 80s!

Oh, now to review those imports I smoked a while back.
The herb from thailaind was amazing, it was the first supposedly pure sativa i ever smoked, and strongest/best herb I ever had, i really miss it, the best thing i ever put in my body ever along with the lesotho. things looked really colorful and "3d", sensual, I started to feel like I was getting shroomy/trippy but in a peaceful lucid unique way, it was mystical and serene, soaring, it was really mellow, allot of contentment and some funny times. It looked really old, brown, seedy, compressed, with a pure sativa nug structure. It was a real one hitter, seriously. This along with the lesotho had a quality someone mentioned here that you can only find in pure sativas like a mystical key to a mystical part of your self or something, something hybrids just dont have, at all.

The Lesotho, it looked and smelled like the thai, but the high was less intense, it didnt have that soaring quality of the thai which i really loved, it was more clear headed and lucid though, it felt great, joyfull, i really felt like a kid again, it felt mystical, serene, trippy, it felt like I was in a different world, things looked different, sensual, I was really happy with it.

Then there was the swazi, it looked like the lesotho it was really boring/bland, mellow, it put you in a different head space, but it just lacked everything. Had a depressing quality to it.

I believe there was more than one hash from the Philippines, they both looked kind of like morocann that wasnt hard, one was kind of got me high, which was darker, but just had this boring/bland quality to it, the other one was really boring/bland, blond, a friend tried the really boring one and said it was like he was a kite, and the more he smoked the higher the kite went.
They both had a depressing quality.

Then some hash from Africa which I believe was from the swazi, pretty powdery, blond, really boring and bland, had a depressing quality to it.

Another hash from central africa I believe, black, sticky, had a boring and bland quality to it but at the same time it had a soaring sativa feeling as well, clear headed.

Then the mango biche herb, it smelled like mangos, looked bright green, no seeds, not compressed, had a classic pure sativa look, the high was really bland and boring feeling, clear headed, kind of depressing.
A friend said he felt like he could just sit there and do nothing. Reminds me of when "R" in that news paper mentioned how he felt like Americans became more passive in the 70s when their herb started coming from colombia instead of mexico which had an uppity energizing high. I believe world leaders conspired to get rid of the pure sativas because they wanted people to become passive and sterile, why else would fu****** a******* go around the world and give bloody indicas/hybrids to farmers that have been growing awesome sativas for centuries, fu***** a*******! (Cough cough arjan cough)

So, can someone enlighten me?

Also what were the growing characteristics, like flowering time, leaf sizes, heights, and also what the highs were like, of sativas in the 60s and early 70s? And if you can share some photos/videos, from then, that would be awesome
And stories, its nice hearing stories from those days, those high times must have been spectacularly high, haha

Do any of you grow/use pure sativas exclusively? Have you heard of anyone still growing sativas from 60s/early 70s stock?

Hopefuly I can figure out some real pure seeds and grow them as soon as I move to washington state, because I really need cannabis medically and recreationally but I'm just so frustrated with hybrids , they just have side effects haha, the thai and lesotho though, maybe they were not pure, but good god.

There is punto rojo and cinnamon malawi from kiona thc in washington, but I suspect they aren't pure and are really expensive, plus seems like shops dont carry those cultivars when I call.

-a vegan sativa guy :gday:

"R"s anti indica article

"R"s anti indica article

I'm even more anti indica than R

Attachments

• user65088_pic205210_1256760747.jpg
    user65088_pic205210_1256760747.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 61
  • user65088_pic205208_1256760747.jpg
    user65088_pic205208_1256760747.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 56
  • user65088_pic205209_1256760747.jpg
    user65088_pic205209_1256760747.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 65

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Some of the old sativas are no doubt extinct. I doubt you will find legit thai sticks. I visited Laos a few years ago and found something very similar to thai stick but without the paranoia. So, in some places at least you can still get legit pure sativas.

TRSC has them, and there are a few other places if you look hard enough. ACE has a few pure sativas and hybrid sativas. The thing is they are a niche market. Probably 99% of people seem to want hybrids.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Must be thinking of World of Seeds Colombian Gold.

I have a grown some afghanis that have very narrow leaf and uplifting effect. I think it is more about the effect for me than what's in it. Entirely pure cannabis is rare as can be these days.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It could be indoor growers find it too long for a proper finish?

Still have brick weed seed from Mexian weed from early 80's. I'm not in a pristine latitude to grow outdoors.

B

Benny106

Sadly i think it will be hard to come close to the diversity we had pre broad leaf.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That article by R just says that indica is dulling and the Colombian was largely too heavy in effect. He makes exception for some of the red and gold types. The good Mexican had mostly gone away by the late 70's. Not all of it was really narrow leaves even back in the 60's.

I am growing the Chellakutti and there are no wide or even medium leaves on it. I grew a Afghan freebie or two of them and they had narrow leaves and took forever to finish, really never did finish. Despite that the high was very sedative, not a high really, just valium in effect.

I look for landrace strains with narrow leaves but do not disregard a strain that has wide or medium leaves either. There are good strains in Mexico now that are not narrow leaf but provide electric or soaring psychedelic highs. I have Michoacan from snowhigh and the leaves are not so narrow. I think they never were. The high is identical to what I had in '74, taste and looks too. Some of these strains are not going to give all they can if you do not have equatorial sun or high altitude sun to zap the plants a little. The Michoacan I grew in a tent with a 10,000 Kelvin light, not sure if that helped but it lacks nothing compared to original.

I grew the USC Colombian Gold '72 inside with the same light and it had a soaring effect. Better than CG I got in '79, so it can be done. There is work involved, searching and phenos have to be chosen. I live close to mountains so I can get some sun up there but not legal and not gonna do anything too risky. If the plants are not expressing right then high altitude is the next step.

That article by R just says that indica is dulling and the Colombian was largely too heavy in effect. He makes exception for some of the red and gold types. The good Mexican had mostly gone away by the late 70's. Not all of it was really narrow leaves even back in the 60's.

I am growing the Chellakutti and there are no wide or even medium leaves on it. I grew a Afghan freebie or two of them and they had narrow leaves and took forever to finish, really never did finish. Despite that the high was very sedative, not a high really, just valium in effect.

I look for landrace strains with narrow leaves but do not disregard a strain that has wide or medium leaves either. There are good strains in Mexico now that are not narrow leaf but provide electric or soaring psychedelic highs. I have Michoacan from snowhigh and the leaves are not so narrow. I think they never were. The high is identical to what I had in '74, taste and looks too. Some of these strains are not going to give all they can if you do not have equatorial sun or high altitude sun to zap the plants a little. The Michoacan I grew in a tent with a 10,000 Kelvin light, not sure if that helped but it lacks nothing compared to original.

I grew the USC Colombian Gold '72 inside with the same light and it had a soaring effect. Better than CG I got in '79, so it can be done. There is work involved, searching and phenos have to be chosen. I live close to mountains so I can get some sun up there but not legal and not gonna do anything too risky. If the plants are not expressing right then high altitude is the next step.

How long can the Michoacan and cg 72 flower? How tall were they?

Did they have electric and psychedelic highs? What about clairty of the high?

Did they stretch allot?

Can you share some photos?

Cheers

sbeanonnamellow

It could be indoor growers find it too long for a proper finish?

Still have brick weed seed from Mexian weed from early 80's. I'm not in a pristine latitude to grow outdoors.

I think it's the latter more than the former. It's less about the time required and more about the finished product. Indoors just can't replicate these varieties the way a proper outdoor or greenhouse can in an ideal environment.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have no photos easily gotten to. There are many photos of the strains I have here and elsewhere on the web with google. The CG '72 would stretch the most but if you keep the light close and blue or high Kelvin, also bend the main stem down as often as each day, then you can keep the height in check. I grow all kinds of sativas and never have them over 20 inches tall. They may be growing sideways quite a bit because of the training, but never a problem.

The CG is very clear and the Michoacan is not quite as clear but still sativa and can get trippy if tolerance is low. Some electric with both but tolerance is key. The chellakutti has not been smoked. I have the Guerrero x Michoacan and selected for the Michoacan side.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
I believe that colombian gold and panama red was never ever pure sativas, but hybrids even in 70´s... ghani genetics was present in Colombia, Mexico or Thailand in 70´s..

Latest posts

Latest posts