What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question on PM and indoor no till beds?

LizardMan

Im curious as to people who do notill beds indoors with cover crop and companion planting, if or when a plant in the bed gets powdery mildew do you pull that plant and keep going or do you pull the whole beds top layer and start over? Since not just marijuana is susceptible to PM.

Just curious as to what people do since it has to happen to someone, And I find it would be a lot of work building up for something like PM to take over and fuck it up?

I had it once and the way i finally delt with it was to cull everything wash down and start over...

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
if plants express soil borne pathogens I eradicate with microbiology

Dump the plant and remediate the soil

LizardMan

Soo pretty much if the bed becomes "infected" then your into save mode which might end with the whole bed pulled...

LizardMan

Weird - what microbiology would you recommend to use amd at what schedule.

I.e. one application, once a day for a week ect.

thailer

i think that PM is caused by the plants inability to transpire or release water into the air.

1. this can be from the soil being mucky or not well draining or maybe theres too much aeration so the soil dries too quickly. if the soil is mucky it lacks oxygen which can inhibit transpiration. if the soil is too dry, the plant can't pull water from the soil, through its plant parts and release it into the atmosphere.

2. this can be from the environment where the plant has too much humidity preventing it releasing water into the air because the air can only hold so much water, so the plant ends up holding it inside.

3. this can be from the air not having enough CO2 or basically fresh outdoor air compared to stale indoor air that is recycled over and over in the grow room. plants need CO2 and if you're not supplying extra which isn't the easy answer IMO because asked anyone with a sealed room and supplemented CO2 about PM, you really need to have fresh air from outside coming in on the regular to keep the CO2 levels up.

but basically if you look over how a plant transpires, you can look at all its needs and wants then address if they're getting them. i think these mildew spores and such are always in the air and your plant is bombarded with it on the regular but what keeps it from becoming susceptible is the plants health and if it is healthy it is completing photosynthesis and that is basically what transpiration is all about. that my ideas about powdery mildew and similar pathogens.

i've recently been reading about VPD and soil plant atmosphere continuum which has just been pure popcorn if you wanna also look into that too. its talks all about this.